Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg have something big in pipeline for Electribe 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyfontana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales are not flopping, at least yet. They can't even keep up with demand so far.

But the machine has had a good but also so-so reception, especially when compared with the older models. Overall the os seems a bit unpolished, less config options, less midi flexibility, some design shortcomings, only 4 bars, etc.

I don't want to get hopes up because it's quite unlikely but if they release sample playback suddenly all electribe shortcomings are forgiven. If it could also sample, resample (it already does to sd), maybe even include loop playback and chop shop, then the machine becomes a monster.

While korg would be losing revenue it would also simplify their work big time to keep everything in one machine. Also, the whole 'just 3 filter types and some oscillators good enough for bass and pads' always sounded like they were spreading thin to make two machines out of one.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of the five music stores within my city (Portland, OR) that sell new music gear, so far all but one have actually bothered to order the Electribe. Each one I've called talked to have told me they could order it for me, but none have any stocked in-store for people to try out. They all have the new Volca Sampler, but the Electribe is a "special order" at the moment. These are all independently owned shops and not huge chain stores, so maybe they are just waiting to see the sales figures on these before diving in.

I was actually going to get my unit this weekend from the one place that has it, but now this news of an update has put my trip to the music store on hold yet again, haha. I personally doubt that Korg is going to allow OS swapping, but if that does indeed turn out to be true, I'd rather wait and buy the "Sampler" version since it has a nicer looking jet black case. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I know I probably sound ridiculous at this point, but blame Korg! They really should have released both side by side after testing them thoroughly. OS swapping as an update would essentially mean they've released a half-finished product here. I'd rather see them use the memory resources to make updates and expand upon them as totally separate units rather than dump all their eggs into one basket.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2ba wrote:
Ted3000 wrote:
Is the the 512mb memory where the e2 keeps it's PCM, and where the sampler would keep it's samples?

yes there is no ROM in the hardware its flash ram.

And what if the PCM were loaded into RAM at boot?
The way I see it, and its been quoted before by someone else, the RAM is here for the CPU to do its processing (i.e. realtime sound generation for VA oscillators, PCM playback, modulation, IFX, sequencing, buffering and rendering to wav)

It would be interesting to check the PCB layout of the mainboard and find where the Hynix chip pins are heading to: ARM CPU or DSP ?
Question

electribe sampler wrote:
16-part sample sequencer with 999 sample slots and 270 seconds total sampling time

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/
Would fit.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:

And what if the PCM were loaded into RAM at boot?

Certainly possible. The Volca Beats functions this way. Someone scanned the newest OS update and discovered that not only are the PCM sounds rewritten into the machine with the update, but the whole OS and PCM sound set is reloaded into its super small RAM chip every time you power the unit on.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
dutchcow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope they fix the bugs and add 8 bars.
Octahedron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchcow wrote:

+1

Song mode and reverb ifx would be great too.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octahedron wrote:
dutchcow wrote:

+1

Song mode and reverb ifx would be great too.

+1..... Or +2 as the case may be !
dutchcow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of resolution sucks when working half speed. It has quite powerful hardware, all Korg needs are capable coders to get the max out the box. Or open source the firmware and let us have a go at modding it Cool

At least the pattern change glitches/reliability are not an issue live (not me in the video Very Happy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2f67PDvII (WARNING: this may harm your ears and faith in humanity) Wink

Last edited by dutchcow on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buska

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone else who has heard that there's big plans and a namm announcement or is it just what one sales rep said?

Is there any official info from korg on this?
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a rumor.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
Is there anyone else who has heard that there's big plans and a namm announcement or is it just what one sales rep said?

Is there any official info from korg on this?

I think this is a rumor for now, but it's based on the fact the hardware is identical, and James Pullen mentioned it on Reddit. I think it's most likely we get swappable OS. Or maybe adding a simple and basic sampling function to the synth version (just like the sampler verison has a basic synth.)

I don't think the sampler has been cancelled or the OSes have been merged - retailers are selling electribe sampler as a preorder - due out mid-March.

Or maybe the "big news" is just 8 bars or some other frequently requested option or fix. Or maybe more PCMs, since they're not burned into ROM.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll plus 3 to the super update.
Hopefully 8 bars and better (step) sequencing .
Doubt they'll be able to sort IFX/polyphony over pattern changes (which isn't sounding too bad after people's recent posts).
Buska

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so just rumours at the moment then.. I will halt my excitement until the korg presentation then
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched your post Dutchcow.
Nice to see you in action with your friend there.I was imagining it was in some continental bar and she was singing in English/Dutch and then I looked where you are from..
Thanks for sharing that-enjoyed Very Happy

PS a note to others: This won't be to everyone's taste with its ruff n ready camera sound.jus nice to see this guy with his new tribe in effect.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchcow wrote:
At least the pattern change glitches/reliability are not an issue live

Seems okay to me, with a clever use of the MFX in between patterns to fill the gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdohUtiX2nU

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: