Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd request: Can I make a sound for you; Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mp3 sounds promising. The PCG link doesn't work.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
The Mp3 sounds promising. The PCG link doesn't work.

It does, but you need to copy and paste the link into your browser. The ( seems to break the URL string and adding the URL code manually breaks the entire post.

Try that instead though to get the file.

**edit**
I just went back and renamed the file. Apparently phpBB doesn't like making links work that contain a ( or a ) in the URL.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw your post: I will try the sound tomorrow and then come back here again.

Thanks a lot for doing it so fast!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Moog sound equivalent to the sound used in Pink Floyd's Shine On You crazy Diamond in AL1?

I have something I like in the Kronos, but my Nord G2 patch of the same still has the edge over what I have achieved in AL1 so far,. The Nord G2 patch I have sounds more "organic". So maybe somebody more familiar with AL1 might do better, and I'd love to study it. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
A Moog sound equivalent to the sound used in Pink Floyd's Shine On You crazy Diamond in AL1?

I'll have to take a look but I'll see what I can do. I'm always down for a challenge.

Why don't you show me what you have so far first and I can use it as a basis so if I get something closer that you like, it would be easier to show you how I got there.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

I'll have to take a look but I'll see what I can do. I'm always down for a challenge.

Why don't you show me what you have so far first and I can use it as a basis so if I get something closer that you like, it would be easier to show you how I got there.

Good idea. Smile I've shut down for the night, but I'll create a PCG file tomorrow with my creation. I'll do an MP3 of the Nord sound as well for reference.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
jeebustrain wrote:
Hi Enigma - nice to see you over here from the Rudess forums.

Dude... How have things been?

I've finally joined the "dark side" haha (Coming from Kurzweil to Korg... Finally making the switch!)

Things have been pretty good. You made the right choice with the Kronos. It's an absolute beast and has become indispensable to me live in the 3 years I've had mine.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked for Hungry Like the Wolf (Duran Duran) so I've tossed this together.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49099211/HungrySample.mp3

That's the sample, pardon my triggering

Here's the PCG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49099211/HungryWolf.PCG

Enjoy!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan posted some steps for Moog in a thread a long while ago. I can not remember the name of the thread but I think I copied his post to a doc. i will check if you want.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested the Rudess Sound, enigmahack, and am really impressed: well done!

It still seems to sound slightly more fat and warm through the (low quality) Youtube video, but that`s only a matter of tweaking around with the filter settings and Guitar amp modelling.

Great job, thank you very much for that pcg!
mihmix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: scott kinsey sound Reply with quote

Hi enigmahack!
Thank you for your great job!!!
Could you make sounds like the scott kinsey short solo here (at 5:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYe9gktEVY#t=300
Thanks!!!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Just tested the Rudess Sound, enigmahack, and am really impressed: well done!

It still seems to sound slightly more fat and warm through the (low quality) Youtube video, but that`s only a matter of tweaking around with the filter settings and Guitar amp modelling.

Great job, thank you very much for that pcg!

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the feedback.

I'm a member of JR's Online Conservatory where he has clips of songs with the isolated keyboard sound, and I've done a direct A/B comparison with his versions he's posted there, and it's absolutely sonically identical until you start getting into the feedback layers... I'm working on that.

The only thing I can think of that would suggest a difference is that he's either altered the filters which happens; JR has multiple variations of his lead sound that he'll use on a song-by-song basis, or that the monitors he's using have shaped the sound as well and that's what you're hearing a reflection of in the video.

Something I did notice too is that the phasing is odd. When I listen to his clips, his lower notes sound slightly more distorted despite us having identical settings in terms of the distortion so I feel as though there's something weird going on.

I'm going to revisit the sound this evening to implement the rest, adjust the effects to more closely match the timing and settings of his delay, and add the additional layers of feedback through the vector joystick. Maybe there's some 'hidden' fatness that is bleeding through that I haven't implemented just yet which could explain some of the tonal difference at least when playing lower notes or using feedback.

I'm still working on it, but I'm going to get it. Smile
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: scott kinsey sound Reply with quote

mihmix wrote:
Hi enigmahack!
Thank you for your great job!!!
Could you make sounds like the scott kinsey short solo here (at 5:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYe9gktEVY#t=300
Thanks!!!

Sure, I'll take a look.

It sounds to me as though they're just using a slightly distorted wurly of some kind, but I'll take a look tonight when I'm done the JR lead and see what I can make of it.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solo is no Wurly, it's a Rhodes with phaser and possibly a wah in static position for the thin nasal EP sound. Scott Kinsey uses a lot of Joe Zawinul's Weather Report sounds.

The critical point is the overdrive: one of the few things a Kronos doesn't deliver are warm tube overdrive effects or amp models: overdrive always sounds too harsh and digital in the Kronos. This is a problem for overdriven synth leads as well, like in the Rudess sound (even Jordan can't do anything about that).
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The solo is no Wurly, it's a Rhodes with phaser and possibly a wah in static position for the thin nasal EP sound. Scott Kinsey uses a lot of Joe Zawinul's Weather Report sounds.

Thanks Jim for keeping me honest. In my head I was thinking Rhodes but for whatever reason my brain insisted that wasn't it and it was a different key-based instrument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: