Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencing the EMX2 with my RS7000/RM1x.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchcow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Sequencing the EMX2 with my RS7000/RM1x. Reply with quote

Just a quick note for those who were also wondering about this. I can confirm sequencing the e2 as a module form a RS7000/RM1x works as a treat.

By default track 1 triggers midi track 1 on the e2. Which is fine for me. The great thing about using a box like this as sequencer is that you're no longer have to worry about glitches when changing patterns and are restricted to the 4 bars.

I can record 2 bars for a kick, and then 16 bars for a long melody or something else. The mixing and matching of phrase lengths within the same pattern is great. I haven't tried to customise the midi mapping, but knobs like cutoff and the likes works as they should without doing anything.

It should be possible to map more controls. And be able to switch sounds/settings on the 2e from the Yamahas. But for now I'm happy I can make phrases with different lengths and settings.

I forgot how much control Yamaha gives in editing, and of course the jobs to add midi stuff/modulations easily. It might be a bit overkill to use the Yamahas as controller but it works a treat. You could plug the audio out of the Yamaha into the e2. Some of the synthesis methods on the Yamahas are pretty sweet. Except for the build in drum sounds that is Razz

I'm sure other sequencers/midi gear will be able to sequence the e2 fine. Maybe a beat step. It is a good way to get around the 4 bar limits and crappy implication of part lengths. Last step isn't for everyone.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, get this. Until recently, i owned an RM1x. I hadn't used it in years and years, so i sold it on ebay, along some other long unused stuff in the loft. I SOLD THEM ALL TO PAY FOR MY NEW ELECTRIBE!!! Hahahahaha....

it's fair enough, i don't have the space or time for a permanant studio, but right now my hopes for an all in one box solution with the e2 are kind of falling short. But the USB midi is fantastic, so it can run very nicely with iPad stuff with minimal setup time. Poor thing needs some help as it stands...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Buska

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar thing with an iPad sequencing the midi, only problem is transitioning between patterns to build a set.

How are you approaching that?

Can you send a program change to switch pattern on the electribe in sync with the RS7000?
markxl1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can change midi tracks on the rs7000 if you want to make use of the factory pattern sound settings Smile
I haven't tried it as a sound module yet as I'd like to just have everything on the electribe as a standalone but noticing the resolution is a bit naff....
jim555

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
I did a similar thing with an iPad sequencing the midi, only problem is transitioning between patterns to build a set.

How are you approaching that?

Can you send a program change to switch pattern on the electribe in sync with the RS7000?

Electribe's pattern number are mapped to midi program number and responds to program change on the global midi channel. Midi program 0 will play pattern 1 and program number 2 will play pattern 2 and so on.

I do this with my Octatrack and it's been working very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: