Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Professional EMX-1 Recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdencoughfield

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Professional EMX-1 Recording Reply with quote

Hi forum, new registered user here but long time lurker, (emphasis on long.)

I'd like to start out by saying I've read almost, if not, all topics relating to my issues that I have and as much progress as I've made I can't say I'm where I'd like to be. I guess the purpose of posting this topic is to ask if a 'professional sound' can be drawn out from the EMX-1 both in studio and on stage, and for any tips, or if I am only chasing a dream?

Before I go on, I'd like to also state I'm not looking into purchasing any new hardware ie. the ESX/2.

I suppose, with what you all might find funny, the problem starts with the fact I'm using the EMX-1 to produce the music that I am doing. There are no EDM, DnB, IDM, etc., aspects into what I am producing now. The style I'm currently working with should be produced with a live drum kit, however, this being a solo project and having cut ties with all past band mates/ musician friends, I am on my lonesome to create a style hybrid of the JAMC and Mazzy Star amongst others.

With there being only 3 effects posts for the instruments in the EMX it is difficult to EQ what I need to in order to get as close to a "real" drum kit sound as I can. It's been dwindled down to 2 because one of the effects I use I apply to the keyboard sounds. From a "professional" standpoint I should be recording each drum part separately and using the EQs on my software to give each part space and all that production jazz, but that can't be applied later when performing with the EMX on stage so it needs to be done altogether.

Now I've come pretty close to getting exactly what I'm looking for but instead of spending any more weeks trying to figure out how I can make it any better than it already is, I've figured to turn to you experts and see what you might have to offer.

Without dragging this out any further...

Question Number 1: Is there a way to use drum parts in the Keys section in order to achieve a compression type effect/ any EQ effects without using the effects chamber?

I've got a pretty solid kick that has a hollow but punchy type sound using low gain, cutting the EG Time slightly and accenting it with a compressed, higher pitched kick however the same effects I have can't be applied to the snare which I'm trying to make "hit" harder than it already does. It just doesn't have that "snap" I'm going for... (This is where you guys can be smart and say it's because I'm using an EMX.)

Part two of my issues involves bass. I'm aware of Ruso's post regarding bass and how to avoid it muddying your mix, but I'm not looking to drive it and make it be heard. I need that "sub bass" effect that a real bass has which fills out the song but the frequencies just fight everything because there's only so much you can do in regards to EQ. Sounds great when I record the track separately, but, I won't have that option to play it separately on stage. So...

Question Number 2: What suggestions do you have to fix the fighting frequency effect the bass has without losing the literal "feel" of the bass?

I have a microKORG that I leant to one of my friends years back and I know that I could use the EMX as a midi controller for the micro. I haven't done it before, but if I were to do so could I assign a part in the pattern to play just that on the microKORG? Maybe that would fix my issue of the bass as it's not powering through the pattern I have playing on the box.

I didn't mean to write such a long post as I did, it's just in my nature to be super descriptive when I talk about something. Want to hear about my trip to the bathroom? I'm just kidding!

I would like to first thank anyone who read through all of this (too long) post and second to any one who replies! You guys are the best! Thank you in advance. Smile
Yndianmusic

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Holdencoughfield,

At the moment you are likely to be in the same situation as I am, trying to record sounds of the EMX professionally. (Also no EDM/Techno or something like that)

The solution that helped me:

I wanted to make music and record it using only hardware synths to make, but use Logic X to record it on.
I now record all sounds separately into my soundcard. After this I can mix all sounds with plugins like compression or filters in logic itself.
Also I can create a new pattern on the EMX where I create the same pattern, but with sounds having for example different effects.
I think recording your music in Logic or a different recording program will help you out!

Also what helped me to get better drum sounds is using a stereo reverb guitar pedal chained to the EMX.

The results are to my opinion Insane! Surprising what sounds you can get out of this machine.

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: