Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EMX2: Poly/paraphony question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchcow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: EMX2: Poly/paraphony question. Reply with quote

The manual states that effects, filters and OSC also count towards the 24 voice limit. Does anyone know exactly how this works?

24 voices become very little if an effect counts as one voice. It can't be right that using a kick drum with an effect and some filtering takes 3 voices. Or a part with chords taking 4 voices plus 2 more when using a filter and effect.

Has anyone tested this or knows a bit more? My wish is that the parameter guide gets an update with detailed descriptions explaining how many voices a certain OSC or filter takes.

Quote:
The maximum number of sounds (entire pattern):
MAX. 24 voices (The number of simultane- ous sounds in entire pattern depends on the type of Oscillator, Filter or Insert Fx.)
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know myself, but I can tell you this much at least: as per the oscilltors, if you choose something like dual saw, thats 2 voices right there.

Filters seems weird - does having one on count as an additional voice? That would be weird. Or, do certain filters count as more than one voice? (and speaking of filters, is it just me or do they all sound basically the same except for variations in volume?)
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
(and speaking of filters, is it just me or do they all sound basically the same except for variations in volume?)

I'm noticing they have different characteristics at high resonance values. The MS20 sounds great as a high pass with high resonance, the acid filter is the most aggressive to my ears. It's all subtle differences, which i believe is the case with different filter types. Beard-strokers find it all fascinating...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you're right; i havent been messing with the hpfs too much, but they sound very very good, especially the ms20 as you said.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran some tests with 16 pads setup in mono2 with one drum PCM each and an IFX each, a lot of notes are stolen/lost. Delays only run once and lots of other weird stuff.

I guess this also has to do with the paraphony part, with notes sharing the same EG/AMP values or something? I put a 3/16 delay on a snare at 127 and it only sounded once Rolling Eyes
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this, how many parts then do you have to mute to play perfectly?
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
try this, how many parts then do you have to mute to play perfectly?

I'd try to mute the IFX first.

Too bad there's not CPU load displayed real-time on many digital synths.
This is beyond me, not being able to barely know what's happening under the hood until you reach the limits.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling IFX helps, so they do count towards the 24 voices. I would also like to see the load on the box. Makes me wonder if the paraphony is a hardware or software limitation.

Guess there is nothing else to do but wait and see what Korg decides to fix. Hopefully they do this sooner rather than later.

It also seems nobody has gotten a reply from Korg support regarding any of the issues raised on this forum, which is kind of disappointing for such a big global company.
Discore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine that all effects are counted as an additional voice. Since I'm still waiting for mine to arrive I can't check it, but I can hardly see how effects like the EQ/filter ones add up to the amount of used voices. For fx like delay/repeater it does make sense.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be interesting to find out what exactly are the most voice-robbing combos of oscillators and effects.

But in the real world: I've never hit the limit with any of the patterns I've programmed. Korg gave it enough DSP muscle to handle most everything the average user will come up with. It does not feel underpowered to me.

It's also not really a polysynth - so I'm not trying to emulate big 8-note 3-oscillator pads with long decays. With grooveboxes, most elements will be mono. Paraphony will be most often used to create chords the same way you'd make them on a Minimoog (tunign osc to intervals) or a Odyssey (para-duophonic).

Since the voice assignment is dynamic (unless you use priority settings) it only affects things that overlap. Not every element overlaps even in a busy and complicated pattern.
Discore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
I think it would be interesting to find out what exactly are the most voice-robbing combos of oscillators and effects.

But in the real world: I've never hit the limit with any of the patterns I've programmed. Korg gave it enough DSP muscle to handle most everything the average user will come up with. It does not feel underpowered to me.

It's also not really a polysynth - so I'm not trying to emulate big 8-note 3-oscillator pads with long decays. With grooveboxes, most elements will be mono. Paraphony will be most often used to create chords the same way you'd make them on a Minimoog (tunign osc to intervals) or a Odyssey (para-duophonic).

Since the voice assignment is dynamic (unless you use priority settings) it only affects things that overlap. Not every element overlaps even in a busy and complicated pattern.

Yes, this would definitely be interesting. Regarding the voice stealing I think it's possible to achieve drop out even as a "normal" user. If you have a dual saw 4 note chord there are already 8 voices taken. If you want to make the chords thicker by layering another synth on it I think you reach the limit quite quickly. On that matter: are all synth OSCs playable in polymode? Are any other OSCs playable poly?
Discore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I just thought of another possible issue. How is the delay of a polyphonic part handled? Does it take up more voices than on a mono part?
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get 4-5 drum parts and about 4 complex synth parts before I start getting drop outs due to polyphony. Usually decreasing the amp release on some sounds seems to help a lot, or using effects other than long delays which need to carry on after the note has stopped.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about the limits of the box. I wish I could start making more music on it but the clicking amongst other stuff makes it next to impossible for me. I don't want to keep the machine's bugs into account when creating music. It's obstructing my creativity and takes away the fun Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno i never really noticed any clicking! Either im not pushing hard enough or its infact clicking but i cant tell. Either way i embrace machines, warts and all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: