Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to connect a midi (over usb) controller to e2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to connect a midi (over usb) controller to e2 Reply with quote

I have a couple of Midi controllers like the LPK25 and the launchpad.... i'm mostly interested in hooking up the LPK25 to the electribe because of its built in arpeggio and lack there of in the e2....

I'm guessing the answer is no, but figured id ask if there is maybe a workaround for that?
alphaminus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

It's not a USB host
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenton MIDI USB Host :
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

On the other hand, there's this OTG thing that seems to catch SMK's interest quite a lot :
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=624817#624817

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
On the other hand, there's this OTG thing that seems to interest SMK quite a lot :

Yeah i didnt really understand what OTG meant in that sense.... i think instead of paying 100$ for a midi controller that costs like 40, i'll only keep it when using the electribe through my computer..... im guessing if you record a part in a pattern then playback the pattern it should record that... so i'll probably stay with that option.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem other than missing drivers/support is current/power. Most mobile phones are OTG compliant, but they all need a powered USB hub because they do not provide power over USB/or provide too little current.

It might be possible to use a USB controller that gets powered by USB if you use a powered hub. But, and this is a big but(t), I doubt Korg uses some open source platform as this would require them to share any modifications under the GPL license. So support for the devices has to be supported by default on the platform, or build in by Korg.

It is most likely there is some kind of proprietary OS running on the ARM chips. It still might have a module/driver that support it, but your chances are slim. not with the purchase of these items, but worth a try if you already own a powered hub, OTG cable and have some time to mess about.

It think testing it with simple HID/USB compliant devices might give more results than a USB powered midi keyboard. Then again, what use those are other than maybe extra storage I wouldn't know.
Kites

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but I currently use the original iConnectmidi and it'd solved many issues that were otherwise impossible.
Theyre out of production, but if your patience you can snag one for around $60 on eBay.

The Electribe is my latest addition to my setup which goes something like this:

Apps- Cubasis (DAW) + Audiobus+ Midibridge + Alchemey + iMini + etc.

Hardware:
-korg electribe
-Teenage Engineering OP-1 synth ( also serves as keyboard controller)
- Arturia Beatstep (midi sequencer)
- Korg Volca Keys/ Beats
- original iConnectmidi (USB MIDI interface which allows you to add a USB hub for additional USB controllers) you can also use a USB to MIDI converter cable

Connections:
OP-1 --> USB HUB ---> iconnectmidi --> itrack dock USB
+ OP-1 headphone output --> 1/4" instrument input itrack dock USB (allows you to record Midi notes and Audio simultaneously through Cubasis App)
+Beatstep sequencer --> USB HUB ---> iconnectmidi --> itrack dock USB ( sequence synth apps and or OP-1)
+ electribe --> USB HUB ---> iconnectmidi -->
+ Volca Beats/keys --> 5pin Midi ---> iconnectmidi --> itrack dock USB
+ Volca Beats/keys Audio --> 1/4" input itrack dock USB

Hope this is helpful in someway, just thought I'd spread the word.
whormongr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kites wrote:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but I currently use the original iConnectmidi and it'd solved many issues that were otherwise impossible.

I acutually just ordered the iConnectmidi4 that should do the same thing (none of the other current models do)- I have wanted a usb host for a while - and figure that I can use it as a 1 stop shop and replace my PC interface while I am at it. Supposedly you can hub up to 8 usb controllers on the 4 as well as do pas through - we will see how it works once I get it
Kites

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whormongr wrote:
Kites wrote:

I acutually just ordered the iConnectmidi4 that should do the same thing (none of the other current models do)- I have wanted a usb host for a while - and figure that I can use it as a 1 stop shop and replace my PC interface while I am at it. Supposedly you can hub up to 8 usb controllers on the 4 as well as do pas through - we will see how it works once I get it

Great buy! The icm4 is a real power house. Have you seen the iconnectaudio that will be released?

http://iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO4plus
whormongr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kites wrote:

Great buy! The icm4 is a real power house. Have you seen the iconnectaudio that will be released?

http://iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO4plus

I hadn't it looks pretty awesome -
just got the box and it is pretty cool- started playing w. the lpk and mpk with it - set up the 4 banks on each to a diff midi channel and they are both great straight out - I need to try the hub thing too since you can supposedly do 8 devices on a hub (and I happen to have a powered 8 device usb hub) to see how it works in unison - if so this will be crazy awesome since with both I can play anything in the top row of the device + sync'd arps
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another USB MIDI Wifi multipurpose brick :
http://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

Being a Bome MIDI translator in a box, it should run scripts from nativeKONTROL, one way or the other :
http://www.nativekontrol.com/Products.html

Yummy. Very Happy
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:
there's this OTG thing that seems to catch SMK's interest quite a lot :

Ohhh Poumtschak, don't give me all of the credit:

Poumtschak wrote:
SMK wrote:
Maybe the one thing that would make a firmware upgrade a huge deal is if the E2's usb input is activated to be On The Go (OTG USB) compliant

Cough, cough...
Code:
USB 2.0 OTG Port with Integrated PHY (USB0)

USB 2.0 High- and Full-Speed Client
    USB 2.0 High-, Full-, and Low-Speed Host
    End Point 0 (Control)
    End Points 1, 2, 3, 4 (Control, Bulk, Interrupt or ISOC) RX and TX

TI AM1802 ARM9 CPU

More in this thread. Very Happy

Anyhow, I just got one of the OTG USB cables and no the E2 won't power the cable nor the PadKontrol attache. I also attached the PadKontrol to a powered USB hub and then attached said hub to the E2...still not go. I used both a normal connection to the E2 to the hub and connected the hub straight to the OTG cable. Both were a fail.

Even if the the E2 was OTG compliant as Poumtschak pointed out to me, in order for the adapter to host an external controller, the actual USB micro input would need to have power connected to it, internally. And then again even if the micro input on the E2 is powered, there would still need the added programming in the firm ware to Activate that feature.

Already E2 hackers have discovered 2 features in the E2 that are not Activated. Attempting to hack the firm ware or E2 to Activate features has lead to some serious problems.

So the short answer is "NO". The long answer is "there might be a possibility in the future".

I do hope that there is something to the OTG compliant chips in the E2. It would be nice to hook up my PadKontrol with just one cable instead of 3 (power and midi in and out). Or even use something like the Nano Controller 2 series.

But, I feel that the OGT compliance might be more for receiving midi messages and data from cell phones being used as controllers for the E2. Many report positive results using their iPhones and android devices to control the E2.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:

Being a Bome MIDI translator in a box, it should run scripts from nativeKONTROL, one way or the other :

Yummy. Very Happy

That would be awesome!

I have been tempted to get the pKC series but I use hardware...so this BOME box would be awesome!

As always, Poumtschak, you seem to find the coolest stuff.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poumtschak wrote:

Yummy. Very Happy

You mean to tell me that bomebox not only will be a usb host but i can run my nativekontrol scripts for my lpc or apc40 into hardware?!?!

Things just got interesting. Although i thought the scripts were made for ableton.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
As always, Poumtschak, you seem to find the coolest stuff.

Nothing fancy really.
Just passing here what I gathered elsewhere, and the other way around.

256K wrote:
You mean to tell me that bomebox not only will be a usb host but i can run my nativekontrol scripts for my lpc or apc40 into hardware?!?!

Things just got interesting. Although i thought the scripts were made for ableton.

http://www.nativekontrol.com/FAQ.html

Quote:
MT PLAYER RELATED
NOTE: These topics do not apply to the MapEase Series, PXT Series, Link, LPC-Live 2, BaseX, MPKm Studio, MPDRx or MPKRx.

According to the flyer, the Bome box (cool name btw) is designed to run MT Pro scripts.
Bome also has a "runtime" for people who are developping commercial scripts like Stray@nativekontrol to bundle with their products.
So I'm just assuming - don't quote me on that - that one way or the other, the box will be able to run these protected scripts just like any others MT Pro script.

Gotta love this stuff. Very Happy

Last edited by Poumtschak on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this bomebox all of a sudden increased its value a lot now..... could be quite a little gadget to create the perfect hybrid analog/controller setup minus that 13" middle man that's always getting in the middle if everything....what a nosey rascal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: