Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So how's the new KingKorg?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: So how's the new KingKorg? Reply with quote

Just asking, it's been out for over a year now but I don't see any new interesting video nor any "hear my new incredible sound" topic. Aside from the Keyboard Magazine review, anything new?

I mean with all its classic synth filter emulation I thought we would have gotten a bunch of raving reviews on it.

Just curious why so little feedback.
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

In my opinion, Korg dropped the ball by not doing anything with it, no updates and a sound pack a year later. Plus, you can pick them up new for £699 now, so it's difficult to sell it without giving it away. Is a shame as it is a nice sounding board, but is beyond me why there has been no updates...would love to be able to change filter type while holding down a chord, instead yu have to re-trigger the notes.

Thankfully, people like Richard who made the Patch Morpher app has made a big difference, but I do look at it sometimes and think what was the intention of their new 'Flagship' Synth...sorry moan over Smile
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
djcactus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still really like mine and it gets a ton of use in the studio with my m-audio keystation pro 88. That being said I can really get on board with magikroom's sentiment. I would like to see some updates, i feel like I'm going to sell it just to have it get updated.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

magikroom wrote:
In my opinion, Korg dropped the ball by not doing anything with it, no updates and a sound pack a year later. Plus, you can pick them up new for £699 now, so it's difficult to sell it without giving it away. Is a shame as it is a nice sounding board, but is beyond me why there has been no updates...would love to be able to change filter type while holding down a chord, instead yu have to re-trigger the notes.

Thankfully, people like Richard who made the Patch Morpher app has made a big difference, but I do look at it sometimes and think what was the intention of their new 'Flagship' Synth...sorry moan over Smile

+1

Korg missed a big chance, by just leaving that synth without updates and essential sound support. I will sell mine at considerable loss of money, and replace it with something that offers more perspective, at the next possible occasion.

I had hoped for support on the level of my Kronos and my MicrokorgXL. But that was an error, and I will definitely think twice before my next synth buy. There obviously is no company you just can rely on in blind trust, not even Korg.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just not a great choice for a design. Sort of a cross between a stage piano and a VA synth. Korg should have done a RADIAS expanded with 61 keys, all the knobs and buttons and more.
Kromeheaven
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one for 680€, a very good price in a local store.
I've decided to support this synth, since I believe it's not enough known.

Support from the Brand is necessary to get some updates, but if users does not share their own patches or tips, videos, etc...it does not look enough attractive to new users.

This synth can do marvelous tech/dance sounds, you, kingkorg owners have just to show the beast capabilities to everybody.

http://www.korgnautilus.com
http://www.kromeheaven.com
djcactus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kromeheaven wrote:
I've just bought one for 680€, a very good price in a local store.
I've decided to support this synth, since I believe it's not enough known.

Support from the Brand is necessary to get some updates, but if users does not share their own patches or tips, videos, etc...it does not look enough attractive to new users.

This synth can do marvelous tech/dance sounds, you, kingkorg owners have just to show the beast capabilities to everybody.

This is true, maybe I'll record some quick jams this week or weekend. I'll try to post some in the next couple weeks
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sadly have to admit that I just don't spend enough time with mine. However, everytime, and I do mean everytime, that I do, I find myself just having a blast with it. I find that it is a bit "deep" but not so much that that it is intimidating. I'm not so keen on a lot of the preset sounds but that's just me.
The one big thing that I want to figure out is just how to have 2 different pitch bend ranges on the joystick. I want to be able to bend up 1 whole tone and dive down 2 octaves. I'm sure there is a way but so far I haven't had any luck at all.
At least now that I've figured out how to get to the empty memory slots I am starting to write my own sounds. Need to do that a lot more and alos overwrite a bunch of the sounds that I don't like.

I figure the best thing is to not sell it, but learn it!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Vampyre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for months and I use it, but have not driven deep into programming this synth. I do want / need to spend more time with it.

What should be added / changed with updates?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't spend enough time with mine but whenever I do, I'm always pleased.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
EFM-7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first "full sized" keyboard synth I bought in nearly a decade.

I was on the fence about buying it when it was $1299 CAD... It went on sale for $799 so that made the decision *much* easier. Glad I waited.

The only thing I feel is really missing from this synth is the ability to have OSC Sync and PWM simultaneously.... This makes the synth seem like it's straddling an awkward line between rompler and VA... I wish there were modulation options between the three oscillators.

Build quality.. Lettering rubs off pretty easily... 2 weeks in, and some of labels around my commonly used parameters are rubbing off.. WTF..

Sound-wise, it's amazing how far recent VAs have come. This one sounds nice and crisp. I'm a fan those pretty, sparkly, starlight glitter arpeggio sounds that Korgs are great at, and this is no exception.
The stereo separation I can get out of this synth is phenomenal.

One thing I notice today that I didn't notice before is that many people are waiting around hoping for feature additions from the mfg... It used to be that you looked into the features of a synth before buying it to make sure it had the ones you needed, then go to the store to play with it, and buy it if you like it... I've never purchased gear with the hopes that it will have x and y features through a software update.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It misses an LFO delay parameter which is inexcusable in my opinion. Even the more basic polysynths it's emulating had one, in fact Korg's own iconic PolySix has it. Other niggles apart, that one really is a deal breaker.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think that would be and easy system upgrade feature. Even my ancient MiniKorg had it although it was a fixed amount but I did buy it used in 1972. It was something that I used a lot since there was no modulation wheels or easy activator.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah an important reason to have it is the lack of aftertouch. That means basically there is no way to introduce modulation other than using the stick with your left hand. It should be really doable with an OS upgrade, it's not like it's a parameter you'd need to tweak with a knob much after setting it up. It'd go a long way towards better Juno/Polysix replacement/emulation.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the keyboard itself do aftertouch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: