Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electribe2 Menu Screen Improvements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: electribe2 Menu Screen Improvements Reply with quote

Here's a very feasible and humble feature request/improvement - re-do the menu display. Right now, I'm finding that there's a very large amount of wasted space. It'd be nice if it packed in more information like the Elektron Analog does.

Here's some suggestions and ideas as of 1.03:

- The display defaults back to the Pattern Name very quickly. While its useful to see what you're on if you're changing patterns often, it doesn't need to be this fast.

- In fact, I think the Pattern Name should be switched with the part info on the bottom.

- You need to hit the <and> buttons to scroll through the different part settings to see the original values. Wouldn't it be great if instead of showing just one value, it was grouped according to Oscillator, Filter, Modulation, Amp/Env, and IFX? You could have all of this information fit into the center of the screen. Right now more than half the screen is un-utilized.

- Just as the Pattern Name is always displayed, so too should the part OSC. This would make it easier to know what's what. Right now I need to memorize everything for each part, though there are some workarounds like always putting Bass on Part 1 and so forth. But if you're going through many patterns and performing live, it can be tedious to keep hitting the <and> buttons to return to the OSC type.

Feel free to post some other ideas and suggestions! I think this is a very subtle area of the electribe that can be easily improved and would help us out tremendously.
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bit of a hard time navigating through the UI between Part, Pattern and Global parameters, I second that.

With a - if I'm not mistaken - 128x64 dot matrix display, there's enough screen real estate to pack more information per part, and lessen the need of menu diving.

And, even though I think its been mentionned before, I'm a bit frustrated by the mind challenging function assigned to the main unlabelled knob throughout the menus. Sometimes it's used to change the current displayed parameter value, sometimes you have to use the cursor keys instead. Why ?

Most of the time, I'd rather have it control the current Part parameter selected at the bottom of the screen than triggering an unwanted pattern change.

Very Happy
Octahedron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions. It would be nice if the screen would provide you with Some visual feedback of knob movements like adsr curve, effect parameter type and values, osc edit type and values,...
isakeit

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: display re-design Reply with quote

Thanks to roblabs i was made aware of this thread focussing on the electribes display.

So I will double post it for further discussions in this thread and make a hint in the other one.

I also think that this needs to be considered when doing a OS update.
So I took the liberty and cobbled something together.
(had a small update today since I was 3by4 pixels off of the original dimensions, thanks Poumtschak for the correct measures)

You can find an overview and description of my design in the image below.

Please be honest and let me know what you think of it.
I will then probably mail it to KORG and see what they will reply.

Besides, what would be the best address to send it to? Japan, US, any other ideas?

bladuck

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isakeit u r genius !
petal

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes these screen improvement ideas looks really great. I hope Korg already feels that there is no excuse now for not implementing this better use of the space available on the screen.

Another thing I've been thinking about is an overview to show you the progress through the steps in the selected part. You can see which section the loop is in, but often you lack information about which step it's on.

The information doesn't have to take up much space, you could propably do it with simple graphic not higher than 1 pixel.
And I'm sure some way of incorporating information about part length as well could be fitted in there as well. Maybe by the step length: ie: 4 pixels lenght = part length 1 and 1 pixel length = part length 4.

I hope the idea comes across Smile

Am I the only one missing this kind of information ready at hand?
isakeit

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can certainly get two more pixels in height if the typography would be changed to one not using up additional space for descenders like "g" and "j".
See the Waldorf Pulse 2 example from Poumtschak over here.

This would give us extra space from the first two lines (pattern name and part name/selection).

Then you could implement something like the part/step length.
Loudest

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Please post ideas for fixes/changes/additions here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=688611#688611

Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: