Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SSD, F
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexJoKeys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SSD, F Reply with quote

Hello all,

Ive done a few searches on google and on the forum about this and i don't think it has been covered... Ive also read the 'file management' post and 'still struggling with file management...ect'

Is there a actual guide for creating a sample patch/multi-sample patches - i keep running into the same problem when following online videos/the official manual from page 160..

This is what i am doing:

Copying say 13 .wav files from a USB to the SSD in a folder called 'CustomSamples'

Clearing the ram by unpicking all .ksc on the auto load page and tapping auto load...

Loading my 13 samples in disk mode.

In sample mode, assigning one sample per key (1 octave from low C)

Converting 'MS to program'...

Editing the program... (saving it)

In Disk mode, clicking 'save all' - creating a KSC (what i believe to be everything currently loaded)

This might work... - However if i do this again, and create a second multisample, when loading both of these, i just get 'sample not loaded'

Now it doesn't seem to matter what i do in sampling mode (copy the MS, move the samples, saving..ect.. - In the end, when i boot the Kronos with 'PRELOAD.KSC' and two of my 'custom' .KSCs - only one will work, or the kronos doesn't load the samples on ether...

Is their something i am missing? - I had a thought that i was placing the multisample samples in the same place - over writing each other , but i don't see a way of loading from disk mode into sample mode without the kronos 'dumping' 'NewMS_______000' in slot 1?

Can anyone explain this catalogue system? Its seems to have 0-3999 multisample 'slots' linking to 0-15999 sample slots?

Thanks,

Alex

AJK
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually... I could benefit from a more human explanation than the manual because I've also experienced issues trying to figure out how to save your samples... I've found something that works but I don't know if I'm saving unnecessary information somehow.
AlexJoKeys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh - unless I'm missing something, its not totally clear in the manuals. The 'operation guide' explains how to sample, and save, and how to load KSC files but I'm not sure it efectivly explains how to keep/manage multiple samples or multisamples..

Page 124 Operation manual explains a little about the samples and references page 735 in the Parameter guide, but i didnt see an explanation to the 'slots'?

AJK
AlexJoKeys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
Actually... I could benefit from a more human explanation than the manual because I've also experienced issues trying to figure out how to save your samples... I've found something that works but I don't know if I'm saving unnecessary information somehow.

Any chance you could share your method if it works?

AJK
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexJoKeys
Actually your problem is that those two banks have the same ID and only the last saved Bank.KSC will be loaded
unless you save your "sampling data" of second bank clicking "save under new ID" box !

So Let's examine your workflow after step 7 :
Let's suppose that you've already saved a Bank called MyBankA with a multisample of mapped 13 samples and
MyBankA.KSC & MyBankA_UserBank.KSC have been created automatically by system.

From that point let's say you want to add some more samples and create another multisample in this MyBankA ...
- The proper step is to load "MyBankA.KSC" in clear mode , load your additional samples , create the new multisample
or load any other multisamples in "append mode" and finally save "sampling data" under the same name MyBankA.
If you load this latest "MyBankA" KSC (of any mode) , then all your custom samples will be there !

- Now if you want to create a new bank , just import anything you want the first in "clear mode" and all the rest in
"append mode" and save "sampling data" under a different name.

- In case you want to modify your MyBankA and want to save it as an independent bank , then when saving "sampling data"
under a different name , click on interface box "save under new ID" , but you will loose association with any created
programs that's why programs developing comes always after creation of our custom samples library KSC file.

This is just a part of all you need to know when creating custom libraries and just experiment with KSC files management
before starting creating your programs !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:

Do you have the most recent version of the Operation Guide (version E9), with the section titled "Saving User Sample Banks: Examples?"

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

Do you have the most recent version of the Operation Guide (version E9), with the section titled "Saving User Sample Banks: Examples?"

- Dan

Thanks Dan, I don't actually. I only have the original smaller manuals that came with the Kronos. I think I'll have to take some time tonight and download the newer ones and put them on my tablet for some reading material.

Thanks
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexJoKeys wrote:
Yeh - unless I'm missing something, its not totally clear in the manuals. The 'operation guide' explains how to sample, and save, and how to load KSC files but I'm not sure it efectivly explains how to keep/manage multiple samples or multisamples..

Page 124 Operation manual explains a little about the samples and references page 735 in the Parameter guide, but i didnt see an explanation to the 'slots'?

Sorry - page references are difficult to track down, since we're now on the 9th version of the manuals. What is the heading of the specific section?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SS Reply with quote

AlexJoKeys wrote:
Hello all,

Ive done a few searches on google and on the forum about this and i don't think it has been covered... Ive also read the 'file management' post and 'still struggling with file management...ect'

Is there a actual guide for creating a sample patch/multi-sample patches - i keep running into the same problem when following online videos/the official manual from page 160..

This is what i am doing:

1 Copying say 13 .wav files from a USB to the SSD in a folder called 'CustomSamples'

2 Clearing the ram by unpicking all .ksc on the auto load page and tapping auto load...

3 Loading my 13 samples in disk mode.

4 In sample mode, assigning one sample per key (1 octave from low C)

5 Converting 'MS to program'...

6 Editing the program... (saving it)

7 In Disk mode, clicking 'save all' - creating a KSC (what i believe to be everything currently loaded)

This might work... - However if i do this again, and create a second multisample, when loading both of these, i just get 'sample not loaded'

Now it doesn't seem to matter what i do in sampling mode (copy the MS, move the samples, saving..ect.. - In the end, when i boot the Kronos with 'PRELOAD.KSC' and two of my 'custom' .KSCs - only one will work, or the kronos doesn't load the samples on ether...

Is their something i am missing? - I had a thought that i was placing the multisample samples in the same place - over writing each other , but i don't see a way of loading from disk mode into sample mode without the kronos 'dumping' 'NewMS_______000' in slot 1?

Can anyone explain this catalogue system? Its seems to have 0-3999 multisample 'slots' linking to 0-15999 sample slots?

Alex

Re your step 2 above: Clearing Sampling Mode data is a good idea when you load your samples into Sampling Mode for editing, but there's no need to do anything on the KSC auto-load page. Here's what to do:

* If you're loading a KSC file, use the option to clear the Sampling Mode data during the load process.

* If you're going to be loading WAV or AIFF files, use the "Unload all in bank" command on the Global Sample Management page (selecting Sampling Mode as the bank) before loading the files.

After your step 7 above, you've created your KSC file.
To add more samples to an existing KSC file:

1. Load the KSC file into Sampling Mode.
2. Load the additional samples from disk, and edit/create Multisamples etc. as desired.
3. Save the KSC file. Best practice would be to save in the same location on disk, with the same name.

For more info, see "Saving User Sample Banks: Examples" in the Operation Guide (not sure in which version this was added). Most recent manuals are here:

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=724

AlexJoKeys wrote:

Sampling Mode can hold up to 4000 Multisamples (which map Samples to key zones) and 16000 Samples (which contain the sample data).
Let me know what's still unclear.
AlexJoKeys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SS Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Actually your problem is that those two banks have the same ID and only the last saved Bank.KSC will be loaded
unless you save your "sampling data" of second bank clicking "save under new ID" box !

Thanks for the replies ^ this helped a lot...

danatkorg wrote:

1. Load the KSC file into Sampling Mode.
2. Load the additional samples from disk, and edit/create Multisamples etc. as desired.
3. Save the KSC file. Best practice would be to save in the same location on disk, with the same name.

Again, thanks for the reply. It doesn't matter about the manual reference as i have this problem solved now. - From this reply, is it right to presume you can only have one 'user sample library'/.KSC file loaded at once (in addition to the preload) - as the samples have the same bank 'ID' - effectively being in each others way?

- Say if you purchase an EXs sample library/programs - do these load/operate using a .KSC? - I am thinking that if i was to purchase an EXs, i wouldn't be able to use two or any in addition to my user samples because of the sample bank IDs?

AJK
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SS Reply with quote

AlexJoKeys wrote:
- Say if you purchase an EXs sample library/programs - do these load/operate using a .KSC?
- I am thinking that if i was to purchase an EXs, i wouldn't be able to use two or any in addition to my user samples
because of the sample bank IDs?

Problems usually appear with your custom sound sets , since a commercial EXs library is always organized with it's own
unique ID and a standalone KSC file that you just add in preload mode.
There is no need to merge that KSC file with your rest custom KSC files , just let them all laying in preload mode
due to always know what is pre-loaded there !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

- Dan

Dan, where to get the latest version of 9 (online Korg - version 6)?
bobmusic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
where to get the latest version of 9 (online Korg - version 6)?

http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=724
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Sampling explanation? - Loading, Saving to RAM/SS Reply with quote

AlexJoKeys wrote:
- From this reply, is it right to presume you can only have one 'user sample library'/.KSC file loaded at once (in addition to the preload) - as the samples have the same bank 'ID' - effectively being in each others way?

No, that's a misunderstanding. You can load multiple user sample banks at the same time.

AlexJoKeys wrote:
- Say if you purchase an EXs sample library/programs - do these load/operate using a .KSC?

Well, you can load individual multisamples, but in general it's easier to use KSCs. Groups of samples are loaded using KSCs, regardless of whether they're user or EXs.

AlexJoKeys wrote:
- I am thinking that if i was to purchase an EXs, i wouldn't be able to use two or any in addition to my user samples because of the sample bank IDs?
]

No, it's the exact opposite. The sample bank IDs are what allow you to load many different KSC files at once.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURLCUGAzTw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: