Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions needed closer to new gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Opinions needed closer to new gear Reply with quote

Well I am closer to a new gear purchase but I can not get all four on my list the top three right now are the Sub37, DSI Pro 2, and the DSI Tempest. I have a Kronos X with the latest software so I have a lot of sound available and a Maschine Mk2 with the latest software.

I really love the sound of all three of these and intend on having all three at some point but currently can pick only one. I tired trading my daily likes but it was pretty much a dead heat which I would like at the end of a couple months time. I am now wondering if i should go for versatility or character not readily or easily available in my Kronos or sized for travel, I travel a lot so small is good. I just plain old love Moog and the sub 37 is incredible to me. I love the versatility of the Pro2 but it isn't a Moog it is a DSI different character also an incredible synth to me and the tempest I have wanted since the day it was released a great drum and bas machine but also quite a flexible 6 voice synth. So with this in mind which way would you turn, yes I know we are all different but sometimes reading others thought processes helps me create a better plan. Thanks for all your opinions and Happy Valentines Day! Reading The Manual Beer

Now to go drink one of my last two Kilkneny Irish Cream, the only time it ha ever been imported to the US in my area was in a pack for Christmas, I snagged all I could.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can make the pro2 sound 'like' the sub 37 but you can't make the Sub 37 sound like the pro2.

They are both by the sounds of it nice synths, if you really love moog then i cant see you would be unhappy with the sub 37. I have a Voyager and i still would like one!

The Tempest is a wonderful instrument but falls done a bit as a mono synth as legato is still missing. As a poly synth or drum machine/beatbox type thingy it is a wonder.

I have a Pro2 and a Tempest so if you have some questions I would be glad to answer them.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i am skimming through the manuals to learn a bit more. I am leaning towards the tempest because i like ht idea of having something compact to haul with me. How big is the pro2? Anything I can compare it to? I have a sl49mk2 is it similar in size or more compact? Thanks! Oh is the tempest or the pro2 able to sound like the other? They both seem to have nice sequencers but I am not sure of their connectivity with other gear. All the vids look promising in one way or the other.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't think you can go wrong with the tempest, I think it is a fantastic thing.

The pro 2 is pretty big, not Kronos big but still a lump to carry around. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here comparing it to the tempest and something else, maybe an iPad?

The Tempest sequencer is a pretty good grid/note based sequencer, editing can be a bit of a pain though. It is not good at sequencing modulation though, you can record the slider modulation but this is not continuous and recorded on the note grid only. It can only sequence a single external mono instrument with only notes no CCs. So useless for sequencing external gear really.

The Pro 2 sequencing is slightly flawed at the moment. You can only record from the keyboard onto track 1 which is set as a mono note based track. Recording modulation is a breeze, just press record and turn a knob, if the knob has not yet been recorded a new track is automatically created, all very simple and easy.

Any track can be used to sequence a mono destination via midi/CV but as i mentioned before you can only record from the keyboard onto track 1 and you can't copy tracks so you have to set up the tracks by editing, this involves holding the step and using knobs to set values, not so good!

Each track can have different lengths as well, this is great when they used as modulation sources.

My guess is that the sequencer will be getting an update soon, as it stands it is pretty good as a single mono sequencer with a load of modulation ability.

Concerning sound the Tempest is basically a 6 voice poly evolver so it sounds very good as long as you like the curtis filter, i know some people don't but i don't know why!

The Pro 2 can sound like one voice of the Tempest as the basic waveforms are very similar and the 4 pole filter is pretty similar, but add in all the extra waveforms, the character section and the 12 db filter (which is amazing) and the pro 2 sounds very different.

So i guess it comes down to what you want, if you want a fantastic mono synth the Pro 2 is amazing. If you want a 6 voice poly synth/ drum machine/ groove box the Tempest is amazing.

I do have to say though that i am a bit of a DSI fan Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detail explanations! I was looking at the dimensions and see that the pro 2 is similar to the sl49mk2 I have. Funny they are all just different enough and I like them all enough to really agonize over this. Same thing happened when I was looking for a board. I know they are different animals but i was back an forth for a year between the Stage 2 and Kronos and I would love either but at one point I decided the Kornos was the best bang for the buck. I also thought I would never have a chance for another board of any sort and fortunately I was wrong.
I haven't ruled out the Sub37 yet the new software for it is very impressive. BobTheDog are you using the tempest with the newest firmware? 1.4 it looks like a great update as well. I thin this time around it may come down to cost in which case it will be the Sub37 but for travel I do have the maschine I can travel with but would love the tempest as its mate. Or perhaps a few rums and ginger brews later i will just draw lots. I guess I can't go wrong with any of them and intended to get all three as soon as possible.

Have you had any luck duplicating the either DSI in the Kronos with its existing synths? I can get moggy but quite fully moog from it but enough to keep temporarily happy. I used Dan's explanations on how to get the analog tone from AL1. I have not tried doing anything DSI like.

I do have five working guitar amps and one I am building, perhaps a trade in is in order, heaven knows I can't play them all at the same time! Thanks again!

Heres the last Moog update I watched. Sub37update
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Sub 37. I also have a P12 (which I consider to be similar sonically to the Pro2). That being said, I am drawn to the Sub 37 much more than the P12. It is just more accessible with the knob per function and it sounds so sweet. I can get lost for hours with the Sub 37, it's pure joy.

But of course it all depends on your intended use. The Pro2 has many more integration and control possibilities if you need that.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Thanks for the detail explanations! I was looking at the dimensions and see that the pro 2 is similar to the sl49mk2 I have. Funny they are all just different enough and I like them all enough to really agonize over this. Same thing happened when I was looking for a board. I know they are different animals but i was back an forth for a year between the Stage 2 and Kronos and I would love either but at one point I decided the Kornos was the best bang for the buck. I also thought I would never have a chance for another board of any sort and fortunately I was wrong.
I haven't ruled out the Sub37 yet the new software for it is very impressive. BobTheDog are you using the tempest with the newest firmware? 1.4 it looks like a great update as well. I thin this time around it may come down to cost in which case it will be the Sub37 but for travel I do have the maschine I can travel with but would love the tempest as its mate. Or perhaps a few rums and ginger brews later i will just draw lots. I guess I can't go wrong with any of them and intended to get all three as soon as possible.

Have you had any luck duplicating the either DSI in the Kronos with its existing synths? I can get moggy but quite fully moog from it but enough to keep temporarily happy. I used Dan's explanations on how to get the analog tone from AL1. I have not tried doing anything DSI like.

I do have five working guitar amps and one I am building, perhaps a trade in is in order, heaven knows I can't play them all at the same time! Thanks again!

Heres the last Moog update I watched. Sub37update

Well I'm a great believer that if you stick to the basic waveforms and have a basic patch then you can make most synths sound like most others as long as they have the same sort of architecture and filter types. So I guess you could make AL1 sound pretty close to both the Tempest and the Pro2 but both have waveforms that you cannot do on AL1 though and also the modulation matrixes are more advanced.

What the Tempest and Pro 2 do have going for them is that they are fun to program, both have great user interfaces. I must admit I don't find AL1 that fun to program!

I will take a simple patch from the Tempest and have a go at knocking up and equivalent in AL1 today and post the sounds here.

I am using 1.4, which is basically the same as the beta version that has been available for quite a while now. The main thing I wish they would implement is the tempest being able to operate as 6 Mono synths via 6 different midi channels, this is possible within the tempest itself but not externally. Oh and get legato working!
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
I'm a fan of the Sub 37. I also have a P12 (which I consider to be similar sonically to the Pro2). That being said, I am drawn to the Sub 37 much more than the P12. It is just more accessible with the knob per function and it sounds so sweet. I can get lost for hours with the Sub 37, it's pure joy.

But of course it all depends on your intended use. The Pro2 has many more integration and control possibilities if you need that.

What's the betting we get to the end of this thread and I end up getting a Sub37? I have heard nothing bad about them yet!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA enjoy the sub37 when you get it! I am so tossed up but I guess I shouldn't agonize it because like I said I will have all three at some point.
BaldEagel have you used either of the other two? I did look at a P12 but I was more drawn to the pro2 it seemed a bit simpler to wrap my head around, note that comment is only based on vids and reviews. Sadly where I live I will never ever find one of these items to try, the best you could hope to find on display here is some version of a yamaha or almost toy like entry level keyboard.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah heck, I need a second job or something! Some one suggested and Electron analog keys and I finally spent some time listening to it online. Wow I love this on as well. I would buy a lottery ticket but I don't want to take any money out of my gear savings to do it! lol. Will it never end, to many great synths to little money! Laughing
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
BaldEagel have you used either of the other two? I did look at a P12 but I was more drawn to the pro2 it seemed a bit simpler to wrap my head around, note that comment is only based on vids and reviews.

I have not used the Pro2. Only briefly played around with the Tempest some time back in a store and was just not that impressed. The sound was ok but in my opinion it's a drum machine first and a synth second so the interest wasn't there.

Go on ... Go for the Sub 37 ... Resistance is futile Very Happy
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest is a funny beast. I get the impression it takes a lot of time to figure out how to get great tones from it. For every good sound example I find 5 bad ones. I do want the sub37 but was really hoping for something smaller and more portable. I ruled out the op1 since I think it is overpriced for what it is but it does sound good. Sub is certainly a major player. It will come down to which gets the better deal from the dealer. and the mood I am in on the day I go for it.

Well some progress I have ruled out the tempest but like I mentioned the Analog Keys has wormed it way into my self debate. I think I have ruled out the Pro 2 for now both DSI are at 2k give or take a bit of haggling and the Analog keys is a few hundred less and the Moog a few hundred under that. Right now the battle is sub37 vs A4k. More googling to go and the hopes that one of my trips gets me somewhere where one is available for hands on. Heading to the twin cities tomorrow but doubt I will have any time to look around. Might have to schedule a run up on the weekend to look around, drop the family off at MOA or such.

I am honestly thinking of the electron now. I like the demos and sounds and review it is half the weight of the sub a bit slimmer as well and narrower so easier to travel with. Tempest is off the list as I have maschine and it does plenty for me. Still plan on a sub but for this case i think portability is my number one concern all other factors being considered. I think the moog is very mug and no as capable of going outside that box, I could be wrong but the electron seems to be able to get the basis sounds I like plus some other cool sounds and a good sequencer as well.

BobtheDog and BaldEagel thanks for the help! Oddly this took a turn I didn't expect when I started looking around.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bertotti,

I just had a belated attempt at getting the Kronos to sound like the Tempest, attached it a clip with a simple sequence, first 4 bars Tempest, second 4 bars Kronos. The patch is one I use on the Tempest that has a ringing type filter effect

The main problem I am seeing is that when raising the resonance on the Kronos it thins out the bottom end more than on the Tempest. When I get a bit more time I will try to refine it to see if I can remedy this.

I ended up with resonance type set to high and Reso Bass set to full, this is about the nearest I could get.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/geepp8o1i034byw/TempestKronos.aif?dl=0
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the effort that actually doesn't to bad even if it is a bit thinner. I like it. I will try to do something similar when I get to my Kronos thanks again!. I am now probably going to go with the electron analog keys, so far it is the one I can listen to without getting tired of it but also the size is about right for my travels. I average about 5000 miles a month.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a look at why the Kronos patch sounds different today, I matched the oscillators by ear to the Tempest and they sound spot on till you introduce the filter then the sound changes. I will get a white noise source and put it through the filters with a spectrum analyser and try to see what is going on.

I would definitely try to have a play with the analog keys before you buy it.

I have an A4 here and really don't like it at all and I'm a massive Electron fan, I have all there boxes apart from the rytm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: