Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How r new electribes for sequencing external midi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
01iv3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: How r new electribes for sequencing external midi? Reply with quote

Anyone have some insight into how good or bad the new electribes (incl. the sampler model) are for sequencing external midi gear? Or could you point me in the right direction of where this is thoroughly documented? Information from Korg on this seems scant.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI spec is in the 2nd to last page of the Manual:

http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_Electribe_Owners_Manual.pdf
01iv3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. that doesn't tell me much about E2s capabilities or workflow for sequencing external gear via midi. I did a bit more searching and found some info on this thread, which doesn't sound promising.

Seems like fixed midi channels for each part and might not even output MIDI notes of the parts being played back..?

I still don't really have a picture of it's capabilities for recording or playing back MIDI.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My E2 is the master clock. It is the brain of my entire set up.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
01iv3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:

Ha! Tarekith, I just watched you're extremely informative youtube review of the E2. Huge thanks for posting that!

ps. pretty sure I was using some of your sweet ass Live effect racks for some mashup dj sets like a decade ago! mad respect!!
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01iv3r wrote:
Hmm.. that doesn't tell me much about E2s capabilities or workflow for sequencing external gear via midi. I did a bit more searching and found some info on this thread, which doesn't sound promising.

Seems like fixed midi channels for each part and might not even output MIDI notes of the parts being played back..?

I still don't really have a picture of it's capabilities for recording or playing back MIDI.

I use mine to control my iPad via use midi and to control 5 other hardware synths via midi with a Kenton Thru 5 box. Each track is fixed on the corresponding midi channel, but this is no big deal. It's easy enough to record midi in to it from external, but I have found it's a bit buggy if you have in and out to the same synth. Most of the major CCs are mapped already, filter frequencies and resonance etc, if your hardware accepts those commands. Just turn the internal engine amp down to 0, or set it to Ext Audio if the hardware responds to volume control messages. I don't sequence everything from the e2, I prefer to run Volcas from their own sequencer, though I do send the cv sync out to the Volcas to ensure everything stays in time. I find this a really easy and solid set up to work with and have found no real downsides to it.
Oh and it sends midi from all the tracks when they are being played back, and from the gate arp.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
01iv3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
I use mine to control my iPad via use midi and to control 5 other hardware synths via midi with a Kenton Thru 5 box. Each track is fixed on the corresponding midi channel, but this is no big deal. It's easy enough to record midi in to it from external, but I have found it's a bit buggy if you have in and out to the same synth. Most of the major CCs are mapped already, filter frequencies and resonance etc, if your hardware accepts those commands. Just turn the internal engine amp down to 0, or set it to Ext Audio if the hardware responds to volume control messages. I don't sequence everything from the e2, I prefer to run Volcas from their own sequencer, though I do send the cv sync out to the Volcas to ensure everything stays in time. I find this a really easy and solid set up to work with and have found no real downsides to it.
Oh and it sends midi from all the tracks when they are being played back, and from the gate arp.

Wow! That sounds fantastic! Huge thanks for the detailed reply. Mostly, I would love to be able to groovebox style sequence a Shruthi-1, P5 & preenfm2 and likely some other DIY synth kits (been addicted lately) from an e2 and a QuNexus controller. Otherwise, I'm plugging it all into Live and routing it through my audio/midi i/o. The portable standalone functionality and sd export to Live would be an amazing bonus too. And would just switch to Live when need more robust sequencing and tracking.

I was worried the e2 might have some deal breaker issues with recording and playing back midi. Slaving each mini synth to it's own MIDI channel is no problem as they're all deeply configurable. Funny that the E2 is not yet configurable in the same way.

Love the idea of using the knobs on the E2 to control external synth parameters. I didn't realize that's how it worked. Gonna check the parameter guuid to see how it's cc values line up to the synths I got. Worst case they're all open source and could be modified.

Thanks again man. I'm stoked. Now just waiting to hear the first reviews on the Sampler edition.
01iv3r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on where the E2s "MIDI Implementation Chart" was buried. Using it now to see which of the stock CCz match up to the Shruthi, P6 and preenfm2.

edit: while watching your review on the OP-1 Razz
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01iv3r wrote:
Frenzies wrote:

Wow! That sounds fantastic! Huge thanks for the detailed reply. Mostly, I would love to be able to groovebox style sequence a Shruthi-1, P5 & preenfm2 and likely some other DIY synth kits (been addicted lately) from an e2 and a QuNexus controller. Otherwise, I'm plugging it all into Live and routing it through my audio/midi i/o. The portable standalone functionality and sd export to Live would be an amazing bonus too. And would just switch to Live when need more robust sequencing and tracking.

I was worried the e2 might have some deal breaker issues with recording and playing back midi. Slaving each mini synth to it's own MIDI channel is no problem as they're all deeply configurable. Funny that the E2 is not yet configurable in the same way.

Love the idea of using the knobs on the E2 to control external synth parameters. I didn't realize that's how it worked. Gonna check the parameter guuid to see how it's cc values line up to the synths I got. Worst case they're all open source and could be modified.

Thanks again man. I'm stoked. Now just waiting to hear the first reviews on the Sampler edition.

Just checking, it doesn't seem to send modulation or motion recorded CCs to external units, so you can only control them in real time.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

01iv3r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
Just checking, it doesn't seem to send modulation or motion recorded CCs to external units, so you can only control them in real time.

Seriously?! that sucks! So if you're modifying parameters on an external synth which transmits and receives CC values, the electribe won't record these or play back these CC messages? What about mod wheel and pitch bend? That seems like it would MASSIVELY limit the devices potential for sequencing external gear.

edit: the question has been asked specifically on this thread http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=631897#631897
mstrnic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01iv3r wrote:
Frenzies wrote:

Seriously?! that sucks! So if you're modifying parameters on an external synth which transmits and receives CC values, the electribe won't record these or play back these CC messages? What about mod wheel and pitch bend? That seems like it would MASSIVELY limit the devices potential for sequencing external gear.

edit: the question has been asked specifically on this thread http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=631897#631897

MIDI Chart in the Manual (page 65) states that neither After Touch or Pitch Bend is transmitted or received.

Don't know about what's recorded though... i really hope that CC/Automation is saved. I want to buy this device next month.
01iv3r

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstrnic wrote:
Don't know about what's recorded though... i really hope that CC/Automation is saved. I want to buy this device next month.

Sounds like only CC values used for internal parameters are recorded and no CC values are output over MIDI during playback.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01iv3r wrote:
mstrnic wrote:

Sounds like only CC values used for internal parameters are recorded and no CC values are output over MIDI during playback.

After touch and pitch bend are not transmitted or recognised internally. For me, pitch bend is the big omission.

meggul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is midi out only via the jack plugs or can usb be used?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: