Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo Audio in through Audio In Oscillator in Electribe 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Stereo Audio in through Audio In Oscillator in Electribe 2 Reply with quote

Friends at the forum,

I've got an Electribe2 and a Volca Sample. I'm routing the Volca Sample's audio into the Electribe, using the Audio Thru feature switched on in Global Settings.

But, when one does this, one can't use the goodies such as the amps, filters, fx and so on.

So I've switched this off and instead I use the Audio In oscillator on one of the tracks. All good, so far. Sounds great. Amps, filters, fx - all there now.

But - the audio is in mono when I route it through the Audio In Oscillator. I get stereo audio in when I use the Audio Thru feature. I get mono audio in when I use the Audio In oscillator.

Can this be right? Is this so? Am I doing something wrong? Can I get this to work in sterero? Or am I pushing the limits to what this oscillator is intended for?
captain johnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know this as I want those 2 units for my new live set up.....

BTW when running the Volca S through sync out from E2- does this mean you can switch VS on an off independently reagrdless if the E2 is playing?
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can.

They're independent of each other, just synced in tempo. You stop and start the VS manually, so it's just a matter of timing. But the sync is tight enough, so it works fine. I've never experienced a drift. So you can stop the tribe and the Volca keeps playing, and vice versa.

And when you run the VS through the Tribe's different filters and effects, it really shines! It's a great combo.
captain johnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Is the volume Ok out the audio input? I heard from some it's quiet....

regarding VS, what are drum samples like on it? bangin?
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, for what it's worth, here's a brief share of my workflow -

So I knock something together on the Tribe. A pattern or so.

Then, I sample the drum parts through my Octatrack. But any sampler will do for this purpose, of course.

I work with those samples in Caustic Editor for Volca Sample. Tighten them up, and add some subtle fx - I especially like the Vinyl fx and the Dist.

I transfer those samples to Volca Sample using Caustic Editor.

I build a drum sequence in Volca Sample and route the whole damn thing into the Tribe's Audio In.

End result is still all Tribe in terms of audio source, but the drums have gone through sampling and some processing and then sequenced inside the Volca Sample.

Why do I do this?

Because -

- this frees up voices from the Tribe, letting the synth part work truly on its own, allowing me to use amps and fx more generously.

So it's a micro version of what having an Electribe Sampler would be, I reckon.

HOWEVER - the Volca Sample has so many cool things going for it live, that I'm not sure I'd swap it for the ETribe Sampler. We'll just have to see.
Steinberger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to drop a quick note here that EMX1 or ESX1 into Electribe2 Audio In with 1-to-1 MIDI connection is pretty damn fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's actually a pretty cool idea to sample the e2 back into itself with the volca sampler.... im actually very interested in augmenting the setup from just a purly single e2 to maybe adding a volca or so.. right now im thinking i'll add a couple og gameboys (build an arduinoboy to sync them up tempo wise)
but thinking maybe a volca for flava... which volca would you think would complement best the e2? the sampler just coz you can put any sounds on it? i was thinking more the volca bass or keys (definitely not beats)
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

256K wrote:
that's actually a pretty cool idea to sample the e2 back into itself with the volca sampler.... im actually very interested in augmenting the setup from just a purly single e2 to maybe adding a volca or so.. right now im thinking i'll add a couple og gameboys (build an arduinoboy to sync them up tempo wise)
but thinking maybe a volca for flava... which volca would you think would complement best the e2? the sampler just coz you can put any sounds on it? i was thinking more the volca bass or keys (definitely not beats)

Volca Sample, hands down, no doubt. I don't think the Keys or the Bass sound that much better than the Tribe once you got your filters in order, so they don't really add all that much to what you can do. The Volca Sample really has no limits, as long as you stay within 100 samples and 60 seconds, and you're fine with the sample rate. But I think that adds to it. The Tribe has a very clean sound and it doesn't hurt to throw in some dirt there.

I use the Tube EQ FX on the Volca Sample when I route it through an Audio In Oscillator. Sounds amazing.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain johnson wrote:
Awesome! Is the volume Ok out the audio input? I heard from some it's quiet....

regarding VS, what are drum samples like on it? bangin?

The Audio Input is ok. I've had no problems with it. The VS output is pretty weak, though, so you probably need to turn the input level up more than you're comfortable with. But it works, all the same.

The internal samples are ... well, let me put it like this - if you bought the Volca Sample only for its sounds, you'd still be satisfied. They pack a lot of punch and it's not just drums, there's other stuff going on in there too.

But it's easy to upload your own. Just use Caustic Soda's editor, it's platform independent, and you're good to go. Really, I don't see why everyone's making a fuss about uploading samples to the Volca. Just plug it in to your computer and upload from the software. Works like a charm.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the topic, this is a track I made with only the Electribe 2. Drums are sampled from the Tribe and then uploaded to the Volca Sample, from where I sequence them, routing the Volca Sample's audio into the Tribe using a Tube EQ fx insert effect.

Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated.
https://soundcloud.com/circuitghost/electribe-2-volcatribe-groove
captain johnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!!

So do you just connect the VS to a comp via headphone jack? Then it picks it up in software?

You should post up some vids of you playing with your set up!
circuitghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain johnson wrote:
Nice work!!

So do you just connect the VS to a comp via headphone jack? Then it picks it up in software?

Yep, that's all I do. Actually, it doesn't even pick it up in software, cause it doesn't have to. It's pretty hard core. It sends data through audio, like it was 1985 again, but it works like a charm.

Haven't thought about vids. Think I'll do that, actually. Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any volca sample demo vids here people would recommend? ive only seen people use the sample for drums...
captain johnson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

circuitghost wrote:
captain johnson wrote:
Nice work!!

Yep, that's all I do. Actually, it doesn't even pick it up in software, cause it doesn't have to. It's pretty hard core. It sends data through audio, like it was 1985 again, but it works like a charm.

Haven't thought about vids. Think I'll do that, actually. Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Cool stuff! when you run VS through OSC does it need it's own pad assigned to it on E2? so like when you're changing patterns it'll always need to locked in as it were?
circuitghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain johnson wrote:
circuitghost wrote:
captain johnson wrote:
Nice work!!

Cool stuff! when you run VS through OSC does it need it's own pad assigned to it on E2? so like when you're changing patterns it'll always need to locked in as it were?

Yep. Assign a track and make sure the sequence runs all the time on that track, to keep the gate open. To avoid glitches, set the Tie to Endless in the Step Menu edit section, and you'll have a constant non-stop audio stream into the Tribe.

If you don't want constant, but actually want to mess with the gate, then just sequence accordingly, and limit the gate time. That can create pretty interesting effects, and perhaps that's actually more what Korg intended, seeing as I just can't get that damn input signal to stereo when I use the Audio In Oscillator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: