Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland PD-120 pad mod with Wavedrum type pressure sensor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towpath

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Roland PD-120 pad mod with Wavedrum type pressure sensor? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I bought a Wavedrum silver back when they first came out 2009/2010. I had always dreamed of owning a Wavedrum since reading about the original in the late 90s.

I'm pretty happy with it, except with the usual complaints that most people have. Especially the lack of an expression pedal to tweak parameters in real time.

I just bought some used Roland PD-120 pads on ebay, still waiting for them to arrive. I'm wondering how possible it would be to mount a sensor of some kind (IR maybe?) underneath the mesh head. So that when you press down on it with your fingers, hand, butt of drum stick, you could send a CC message to a VST/softsynth to change a parameter.

I've never opened up my Wavedrum, so I don't know exactly how the pressure sensor works. Any that has, could they explain it a bit?

Thanks,
Glenn
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn
did your pads arrive then ?
what drum brain do you use to translate Ohmic resistance to controller CC04 ?
and what software to change it to your needs ?

Infrared system ? IMO too complicated , but why not .
a force sensing resistor is the way to go
or a ribbon controller
or simply an expression pedal
or a Hihat controller pedal
or a potentiometer/fader

or a light dependent resistor for the more experi-mentals.
or all of that simply in parallel at the same time Wink

Quote:
I've never opened up my Wavedrum, so I don't know exactly how the pressure sensor works.

Do it ...
keep your soldering iron hot and forget your
Quote:
complaints that most people have. Especially the lack of an expression pedal to tweak parameters in real time.

The WD system distributes the pressure function over an area and not only to one small point.
the rubber thingy makes a more natural feeling and absorbs pressure signals that would come from drum hits .
Probably also protects the sensor from damage .
The Wavedrum itself can be used to transmit CC values .

I hope you are not one of these lamers who dont come back to their own thread .(needs to be said, meanwhile ...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: