Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to install KRONOS Sub-System Firmware Version 6.04?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtiscee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Need to install KRONOS Sub-System Firmware Version 6.04? Reply with quote

Is this something that I need to install before installing KRONOS System Version 3.0? I know it is not necessary to install intermediate system version upgrades first; but it's unclear on the Kronos Support Site (https://shop.korg.com/kronossupport) whether this applies to sub-system firmware too. It's also unclear how to determine whether I already have this installed, but I don't recall every doing so. My Kronos X 88 is currently at system version 2.1.2. That page is slightly confusing, but it appears that 3.0 has all the necessary updates with an optional paid pack for updated sounds, whereas earlier versions included updated sounds--or at least new sounds--with the system version. Thanks in advance.
Stratario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like the BIOS for the motherboard. It was released at the same time as Operating System version 2. You have to install the Kronos USB driver in your computer and hook up a USB cable between the Kronos and the computer and run the executable in your computer. It will upgrade the BIOS. At the time Korg highly recommended that you install this BIOS upgrade.

Fred
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed OS 3.0.2 and never updated the BIOS. had no trouble whatsoever. I'm not really sure why they released the firmware update.

Does anyone know?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall the update improved the USB and of course it added the engine list on the start-up screen.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
curtiscee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. I just went forward and updated it. It was a straightforward easy process, as far as any Korg Kronos update goes anyway. I can't comment on any noticeably improved midi performance yet, but from a superficial point of view, I do very much like the new logos on the startup screen. It's simple--just logos of the synth engines across the top of the startup screen--but simply much "cooler" than the original one. I should note that you will need a USB-B cable to update the firmware. (I had one already that came with my external hard drive.) I don't recall the Kronos itself coming with one. This is different from the USB-A cable that most people have, but that probably most Kronos users will have anyway as we often save a lot of data and use external drives etc.

USB-B Cable:

I took a photo of the new updated logo screen that you see when you first power-on your Kronos; it might help you decide if it's worth the "trouble" of an update:

Here are the details of the release notes:

KRONOS 61/73/88
KRONOS X 61/73/88

Sub-System Version 6.04 (V06R04)

October 28, 2013

Changes

 Reliability has been improved for USB MIDI transmissions to USB
3.0 ports on Windows computers.

 The start-up display has been modified, and now includes logos
representing the KRONOS synth engines.[/img]
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to install KRONOS Sub-System Firmware Version 6.04? Reply with quote

curtiscee wrote:
whereas earlier versions included updated sounds--or at least new sounds--with the system version.

That's not the case. What part of the text made you think so?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
I recall the update improved the USB and of course it added the engine list on the start-up screen.

Geo

That's correct. Depending on the version of the firmware you had previously, it might have improved other things as well.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, should we all go ahead and do it?

curtiscee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to install KRONOS Sub-System Firmware Version 6.04? Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
curtiscee wrote:
whereas earlier versions included updated sounds--or at least new sounds--with the system version.

I may have misspoke; what I meant to say is that included as optional but free downloads under the KRONOS System Version 2.1 list are Factory sounds V2 (for KRONOS 2.1) and KRS-06: CX-3 Signature Sounds (for KRONOS 2.1), while the updated sounds available for version 3.0 must be purchased as an optional download for those interested i obtaining them. http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=638

But now I'm wondering, if I never downloaded those 2.1 sound updates, whether they're included in the 3.0 update. Despite having upgraded to 3.0, should I now go back to update Kronos with those free sounds listed under 2.1?
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and by the way, apart from whether we should or not update the firmware (that's what I want to know!), could it be done ONCE you've upgraded the OS to 3.0.2?

thanks!

curtiscee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:

This is what I meant by "confusing." This isn't rocket science, and it's clear to me now that just applying the updates could do no harm. But still, because the update listings are in a hierarchical manual process and not an automatic one like "Windows Updates" etc., it makes one pause to consider whether or not any of the other optional updates that aren't KRONOS System Version updates should be included or excluded. The KRONOS System Version updates are the only ones that clearly state that it is not necessary to install intermediate upgrades first. But does that only apply to system version updates, is what confused me a first. And I think the answer is YES.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
oh, and by the way, apart from whether we should or not update the firmware (that's what I want to know!), could it be done ONCE you've upgraded the OS to 3.0.2?

thanks!

Yes. I updated mine after I installed 3.0.2. And it's worth the effort to do it IMHO.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need to install KRONOS Sub-System Firmware Version 6.04? Reply with quote

curtiscee wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
curtiscee wrote:

I may have misspoke; what I meant to say is that included as optional but free downloads under the KRONOS System Version 2.1 list are Factory sounds V2 (for KRONOS 2.1) and KRS-06: CX-3 Signature Sounds (for KRONOS 2.1), while the updated sounds available for version 3.0 must be purchased as an optional download for those interested i obtaining them. http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=638

But now I'm wondering, if I never downloaded those 2.1 sound updates, whether they're included in the 3.0 update. Despite having upgraded to 3.0, should I now go back to update Kronos with those free sounds listed under 2.1?

Thanks for clarifying.

KRONOS OS updates and EXs installations do not automatically overwrite sounds in memory; that might destroy user data, so it's a no-no. Sounds are only written to files on disk; to load them is a separate step.

So, it's pretty easy to see if the files are on your disk.

In the case of the 3.0 installation: no, it does not install any optional sounds. Those sounds are cool, so download them and try them out!
danatkorg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtiscee wrote:
ferchis wrote:

This is what I meant by "confusing." This isn't rocket science, and it's clear to me now that just applying the updates could do no harm. But still, because the update listings are in a hierarchical manual process and not an automatic one like "Windows Updates" etc., it makes one pause to consider whether or not any of the other optional updates that aren't KRONOS System Version updates should be included or excluded. The KRONOS System Version updates are the only ones that clearly state that it is not necessary to install intermediate upgrades first. But does that only apply to system version updates, is what confused me a first. And I think the answer is YES.

There's only one firmware update posted, so any question of intermediate updates is moot. Yes, if you're using a KRONOS or KRONOS X and have not updated the firmware, you should do so.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard about a firmware update. Can you direct me to where I can find it?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: