Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More and more considering selling E2 for push

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: More and more considering selling E2 for push Reply with quote

So it's been a while now and i started getting more and more familiar with the electribe and im starting to love certain aspects about it more and more but im growing in doubts as to whether i should keep it or sell it.

I'm starting to feel that even though the sound of the electribe i very clean and somewhat deep... i still find it somewhat bland and single dimensional. ive payed around with a lot of the synth wave types and with various modulation combinations and i feel like most sound similar ennough.... a single vst could create far more customized sounds...

i've started with gameboys and moved on to ableton for a while and i'm very comfortable with it and when the electribe was announced i was interested in the push but then i changed my mind...

Starting to think the push was a better investment for my current needs and vision....

I mean i would keep both but money is of course an issue for a hobby (as it currently stands so far for me)

any thoughts or opinions? this might not be the final way i look at this situation but this is how im feeling right now after a couple of days of really in depth working with the electribe...
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, if you're comfortable with ableton, and that's what you use to make your music, then I wouldn't have bothered getting the e2 in the first place. For me it's an either / or situation. They both aim at doing the same kind of thing, they're both geared towards live performance.
For me the joy of the electribe is not using the computer, but I come from a time when the only computer for electronic music was the Atari ST, so I love a hardware workflow.
If I were you I'd go with what's comfortable, and that seems like Push.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
moldau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want to do. Live performance with Ableton, and maybe a few hardware instruments? Use Push. Or another controller if you don't really need all of Push's features like the sequencers. Perhaps you can find a used APC40?

I've used Ableton before, with a bunch of controllers, and I recently bought the E2 and I don't think that I can ever go back. For me it's the limitations of the Electribe that somehow boost my creativity. With the computer there are infinite possibilities of sound-shaping, but I feel much more comfortable with the E2, a device I hardly know, and I have created music much easier and more fluently than on the PC. Plus I can work anywhere, outside if I want, without having to carry stuff around. For me, these are killer features.

I do share your view on the Electribe's sounds. But I enjoy the new workflow so much that I'll stick with it, and use other ways than Ableton to get other sounds and features. Maybe a nice, portable desktop synthesizer....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an apc 40 and apc20.... they are okay but now with the push standing against a 4 year old device i definitely enjoy push's workflow style....

It might just be a matter of time for me using sequencers but i already have so little time that i don't feel like taking on a new learning curve is the best use of my time....

Plus i figure push is kindof like a sequencer as well that way i can kindof get more the grasp of creating on sequencers and putting loops together rather than doing a track in one shot.

anywhoo worst case i can get me a couple of desktop synths like a couple of volcas (also planning on modding my gameboys with midi IN )

That way i'll have the written midi sequences on the computer written by push on ableton and sent to different synths (minibrute anyone?)
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Push for a long time now, and while I really enjoy it with Live, it's still quite a long way from feeling like a seperate hardware device for me. That's not to say that it was even Ableton's intention to make it standalone like say Maschine, but it definitely still requires working on the computer once you get past that initial sketch stage.

Overall I'd say the sequencers are just as limiting as something simple like the Electribe, so the only real difference to me would be just having access to VSTs for your sound design. Well, actually, even 3rd party VSTs arent supported as well as their built in synths now that I think of it.

What do you see Push adding to your set up that the electribe isn't giving you, just different sound sources? Do you own Live Suite?
Olivander12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that comparing both devices makes any sense. Price tag, purpose and functons of both machines are completely different. The electribe is 400 euros, whereas Push costs 490€ without Ableton Live. Electribe is meant to be used primarily without a PC, Push needs a PC.

The electribe is the most cheapest solution for anybody who wants to make electronic music without a PC. There is nothing else (beside emx), giving you that much power for little money. I do not understand why people keep saying, that software/hardware xy is better than the electribe, when the price tag is so different. I could also say, that two Korg Volcas almost cost the same as the new electribe, but the electribe has far more options and therefore, Volcas suck.
moldau

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivander12 wrote:
I could also say, that two Korg Volcas almost cost the same as the new electribe, but the electribe has far more options and therefore, Volcas suck.

That's pretty much the same situation, comparing what is not comparable. The Volcas are the real thing, they are analog desktop synthesizers (and a sample player) and since they can be integrated into Ableton or the Electribe or anything else, even be modded with Midi-out, they are a great addition to any setup. It's not their mission, even if you own all four, to be a complete setup for a live performer (however, if you're into old school techno, the Volcas should enable you to hold any party for a night).
Flippertribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 256K!

One thing that wasnt considered here.... ive been playing with my band for quite a time now and been testing a lot of combos... (Old EMX, ESX, Machinedrum, old APC, new APC, Push, Electribe2)

Afte loads of test runs Ive returned to a hybrid mix of gear:

APC 40 MK2
PUSH
Electribe 2 routed to Ableton

Why?

The Electribe gives me a huge advantage against Push working with Ableton. When you are playing in a live situation and wanna be able to switch and arrange fast... there is no real solution for changing playable instruments on the fly but keeping your midi clips connected to the specific sound you recorded them for. Of course you can chain many Plugins and record the selector..but its a shitload of work and not very flexible when changed within months of testing your setup.

In short: if you swap an instrument on a track in Ableton... all the clips play the new sound instead of the one you recorded them for. And thats a bummer somehow.

Of course push and Ableton are an extremely versatile sound creating tool with all the benefits like clip lenghts, no quantization if needed, etc...

But the electribe lets you change 16 tracks of sounds and their recorded notes with a single twist of a poti. Changing the pattern means changing the song.

This is why i prefer having the electribe routed inside Ableton and using the two worlds inside the same setup.

I use the tribe for basic elements of the actual song im playing and Push for on the fly recorded pads, SFX and electro percussion I choose whatever i need.

Hope this helped...

All the best, Philip
Olivander12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moldau wrote:
Olivander12 wrote:
I could also say, that two Korg Volcas almost cost the same as the new electribe, but the electribe has far more options and therefore, Volcas suck.

That's pretty much the same situation, comparing what is not comparable. The Volcas are the real thing, they are analog desktop synthesizers (and a sample player) and since they can be integrated into Ableton or the Electribe or anything else, even be modded with Midi-out, they are a great addition to any setup. It's not their mission, even if you own all four, to be a complete setup for a live performer (however, if you're into old school techno, the Volcas should enable you to hold any party for a night).

Yes, this is what I wanted to say with my statement. Nobody is thinking like that, so people should not think that way talking about the electribe either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tarekith yes i have ableton

@everyone else....

I'm not planning on using the push as a pure live hardware that i can do everything with either.... i understand more what the push can and can't do than the electribe (or atl east when i bought it)

and to be honest one of the biggest reasons why im considering switching is for workflow comfort zone.... while i'm getting more familiar with the electribe, istill find it awkward to use... yes it's hella fun and i would still totally recommend it for other people looking for a sequencer/groovebox....

In an ideal world i would have the 2 (push and tribe) but for now with the limited budget i have i feel more comfortable getting a push to add onto my ableton production rather than divide myself between 2 different workflows.

also i tried routing the electribe in various ways to ableton and back and i can't get to something im comfortable with...

they way im planning to go about it is this:

Get the push instead of the electribe.
Mod my 2 gameboys to take MIDI in.
create a template with ableton where i have several channels going into the gameboys plus the rest of the channels internal...

them aybe get myself a volca or two for more analog/hands on control

all routed back in audio to ableton

and kindof have that as a production setup....

i'm planning on using a lot of the sequencing options given with push and im sure that will make me more familiar with the workflow of sequencers and then maybe i could replace the push/ableton combo with a full hardware sequencer once i already have my head around it....

i could even just keep the tribe as a drum machine but even the drums im not a fan of.....

anyways... i don't think i will regret replacing it with the push.. perhaps i wont be satisfied with the push either i dont know haha... but right now i feel it's the best option....

I wish i could wait till the new OS comes out to see if they changed something dramatically that would maybe keep me on it (doubtful) but that would lower my chances at selling it whilst there are none being sold in montreal still. (i got first grab)

i'll let you guys know anyways..... i kindof want to stay on these threads even though i wont have it anymore just coz it's been so fun..... ughh

Can i just post s**t about the push here plz? :3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i have the launchpad with LPC live 2 (nativekontrol's script that converts the launchpad into a steroids push basically) and i use it way more than my apc40 or electribe (not the same thing i know)

so if/when i get the push im already kindof gonna have an idea of how it works AND nativekontrol has a script FOR the push taht takes it's control even farther!
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck buddy . Only you know how you want to make music.
You can always buy another E2 in future if the update is really good or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so decided to try and give it one last push (pun intended)

But now im running into another problem. i have created 16 midi channels to output into the 16 channels of the tribe, i have my launchpad with LPC script running meaning i can create sequences using my launchpad and create them into midi clips to run into the electribe and the sound is coming out and everything is fine and dandy....

Now when i hit the record button on the electribe nothing records... why is that?

I do have the electribe synced in using USB for the clock and midi (through the audio interface) for in/out.

any idea why it wont catch any noted pushed into it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: