Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Korg have a surprise up their sleeves?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Does Korg have a surprise up their sleeves? Reply with quote

what do you think?

are the e2 and es2 the same machine, and korg will make that announcement? or will the es2 will be real but might incorporate some special integration with the e2? Amazing firmware updates in the future? Or is this all just wishful thinking?
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishful thinking.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
NickZoll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:
Wishful thinking.

+1
it is what it is
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the electribe sampler is a bluff. Too many merchants have separate listings, there are already a few in the wild. And I don't think the functions will roll up into a super-electribe, with full synth and sample.

But I think we'll see some needed fixes and neat tricks added to the e2, and the swappable OS rumor could be for real.

The EMX/ESX were such a long-running line. I hope Korg thought ahead and looked at these as a 10-year expandable platform - something that will be fresh and relevant when the next big electronic genre comes around.
thesigma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next 10 years, oh please I hope not.....

Support it yes because that's the right thing to do, but please come out with something better sooner. It was only 4 years between the ea1/er1 and the x series. Not sure why it took 12 years to come up with a successor, which while a Great Leap Forward in sound quality, is a step backwards, or at least sideways, in features. But hey, that's just my opinion. I hope the sampler is more of a leap forward than the synth.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reason why I started this thread is to start a discussion on what, if any, Korg might have in store for the sampler. Personally, I'm on the fence on this one, but I do think they might be planning something. Don't you find it bizarre that, considering the sampler is supposedly slated for a mid March or April launch that there are NO videos or promos of it? The e2 at least had somewhat of a buzz, albeit small though it was. And then take into consideration the other thread: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96143

-where SMK and some others tried to glean some info from the poster but he was unable to answer any questions - seriously?? Even James Pullen was able to give some info on the sampler. Really, what would be the need to keep this so hush hush if its due out in a few weeks?

So I think there has to be a reason that Korg is approaching this release this way. That, or its just really, really bad marketing.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:

So I think there has to be a reason that Korg is approaching this release this way. That, or its just really, really bad marketing.

An interesting thought came to me after my very short conversation with Tony...who BTW actually is a Korg artist (I didn't know).

In examining the general response from users regarding the E2....it has not been good. I would consider myself a minority in this community, in that I truly feel that the new Electribe 2 was a life saver. I love my new E2... (probably more than anyone here). This is the best piece of hardware I have ever owned. It's quarks or what ever / bugs are very minor to me and I can work around them. Compared to what I have been working with in my live performances in the past and the needs of my band, the E2 is a major convenience. But, again, I'm pretty close to being alone here with exception to a handful of artists, like Tarekith, who's reviews / comments are very balanced. I would agree that Tarekith has the best over all out look and review on the E2 and in the end he leans positive towards it.

If we were looking at this from a percentage point of view, it would appear that Korg is seeing 20% - 30% satisfaction towards the E2 release vs the 70% - 80% of those who feel the benefits of the E2 can not compete against the EMXsd.

When we take a step back...there are a lot of unhappy people. IMO i don't think these users are giving the unit a fair shot and are missing the fact that this is a different type of tool. It's not an EMX or an upgrade to an EMX.

That being said I feel that the intense negativity has sorely impacted how Korg marketing is responding now with the release of the ES2.

The ES2 is going to be released. Another artist on the FB thread called sweetwater and got a date (something sweetwater never screws around with). We are looking at the 18th of March for them to send out the pre-orders...which means that US artists like me can expect to get ours around March 24th.

When I think about the gag orders on Korg Artists, I don't believe this is some super secret attempt to blow us away with a major surprise. I see these moves as Korg's attempt to manage it's users expectations through carefully managed "silence".
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought, SMK, thanks for posting that. This is the discussion I'm after here; why is Korg remaining to choose to be so silent on this.

I think overall the ratio of satisfied to unsatisfied customers might be 50/50 actually, but if you're comparing it to the X series, then yeah, your figures might be pretty accurate.

One thing to consider is that when someone writes a really harsh review, it seems to really stand out. Might be because we haven't really read any gushing reviews. Even the positive ones include a number of disagreements with some of the design and functionality choices made.

Then another thing is how slowly Korg is trickling these units out. Its almost as if they are carefully and methodically choosing how many come out at a time, as well as where- perhaps to create a demand through controlled short supply?
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
Interesting thought, SMK, thanks for posting that. This is the discussion I'm after here; why is Korg remaining to choose to be so silent on this.

I think overall the ratio of satisfied to unsatisfied customers might be 50/50 actually, but if you're comparing it to the X series, then yeah, your figures might be pretty accurate.

One thing to consider is that when someone writes a really harsh review, it seems to really stand out. Might be because we haven't really read any gushing reviews. Even the positive ones include a number of disagreements with some of the design and functionality choices made.

Then another thing is how slowly Korg is trickling these units out. Its almost as if they are carefully and methodically choosing how many come out at a time, as well as where- perhaps to create a demand through controlled short supply?

My thoughts exactly. My competitive nature is to say: "F**k it, move on and do something awesome!" which is why these marketing moves or lack of, frustrate the hell out of me. It shouldn't but it does.

I hate to single any one person out, but Tarekith has the best video review on the unit. It also one of the most positive reviews out there.

If I had the time to do a review, it would be a more gushing review.

Between questioning the marketing of the E2 to electribe users over calling it something else and the highly unrealistic expectations of the users wanting the "Super all in Wonder", it can be hard for a marketing team to promote a twin brother of a unit like this. Think about when Korg literally took a bath with the microSampler. That was a terrible one off they will never repeat.

One reviewer said it best when he stated that the E2 was a super Kaossilator Pro...he's absolutely right! And I was so happy to read that because I have used Kaoss pads for nearly 8 years of performing live. I loved my Kaossilator Pro. I had to do many work arounds to make it sound amazing but I still loved it.

Korg should have marketed the E2 to both the Electribe community and the Kaoss community "Two of Korgs most loved technology into one!"

If there was any major mistake in marketing it really was not including the Kaoss community.

And if James Pullen's are correct then the ES2 is probably going to be a super Kaoss Pad 4, which is fine by me.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Frenzies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling Korg are unhappy with the e2 and are maybe not much happier with the es2.
They tried a bit to create a buzz around the e2, with James Pullen on Sonic State and a few little You Tube vids from producers, but when it was launched, with no fanfare at all, just a tweet saying it was out, there were no reviews at all from the usual sources. Where is the Sonic State review? The Sound on Sound review? Did they not send out units for review? It would appear not, and that kind of thing only usually means one thing. They expected the machine to get slammed in any review, so they get it out there and hope there's enough early adopters before the swell of negative opinions hits sales.
So now there's apparent radio silence about the sampler. If it's only a few weeks away why aren't we seeing more of it? Why arent Korg shouting about the specs from the rooftops? Are they stung by the initial response to the e2? Are they just too busy trying to fix the problems?
Sorry, that was a bit rambling and incoherent.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure they're trickling them out though, we're seeing serial numbers over 4000 just on this forum alone. That's a LOT of units for a smaller market like electronic music making IMO.

I don't really think the sampler version is getting that much difference of a release in terms of press either, at least not drastically. Really, the only info we had on the electribe before launch were various pre and post-NAMM interviews with more or less one artist, Mistabishi. Korg has always been pretty tight lipped with info before their gear drops, as opposed to say NI who love to put out lots of videos ahead of time. It's frustrating when you're excited about something, but par for the course for them too.

Are there secrets with the new sampler? Hard to say for sure, but I doubt it. They are probably the same unit in terms of hardware, saves Korg money on manufacturing and explains the 270 second sample time too. More or less what you'd expect given the PCM samples on the electribe, so I think more than anything that explains why they didn't go for more sample memory. It's a good compromise given the roles of both units.

The real question for me is what parts of the sampler will eat into that 24 voice count listed on the specs. We know the effects on the electribe can, but what does the edit knob on the sampler do? Do stereo samples halve your voice count? Things like that are what are giving me pause at the moment, and why I didn't pre-order myself.

Hoenstly I thnk there's just way too much speculation and over-thinking things by the user base, claims of bad marketing and delaying release for various reasons, etc. I still think worldwide Korg is probably selling loads of these things, and it just takes time to make them and get them into all the stores. Especially with so many of the stores accepting pre-orders months in advance, that's a lot of stock to fill on day 1, so it's no wonder only the second or third batches are finally hitting stores.

And of course there's a lot of abnormal delays in overseas shipping at the moment, some of the major hubs for even non-US countries are on the west coast US, and there's been really bad strikes and work slow downs affecting things immensely. I say that as someone who's entire studio is being shipping from Seattle to Europe that way, and what would normally take 4-6 weeks is taking 8-12 now.

(btw, that's also the reason I haven't posted more of my own electribe songs, all my gear for recording anything was put into in a shipping container a week after the electribe arrived here. Luckily I brought the electribe with me in carry on luggage! )

Anyway, just my unsolicited $0.02 Smile
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:

Judging by the serial numbers that people have been posting, Korg seems to have shipped AT LEAST 5,000 e2s.

That's 5,000 machines out there, supposedly bumming people out. And these are the closest thing to an official form there is.

There are maybe a dozen people on these boards who have strong negative opinions.

On any given week on eBay, I only see a handful of used e2s. They're going for nearly full retail price, and in a few cases, a little over. If this was a true bomb, the price would be much lower and there'd be a lot more of them.

This is pretty unscientific. I'd guess it's actually a small percent of users and likely electribe purchasers that are unhappy. It might have been enough to make Korg take a smaller marketing approach, post launch.

The thing does what it says, feels solid, is limited only by creativity.

Sour Grape Kool Aid is overrepresented here.

Happy people simply don't usually take to airwaves. "I'm generally satisfied as hell, and I'm going to take it some more, in a reasonable way!"
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
Where is the Sonic State review? The Sound on Sound review?

I know Sonic State has their's for review, they're still just trying to get through all the other NAMM releases as well still, they mentioned this in the last Podcast. I also talked to Paul Nagle at SOS and know his review of the electribe is already done and ready to go, but again there were a lot of other things in the queue ahead of the electribe that haven't made it to press yet either. I have a feeling they might pair it with the sampler version at this point, just like they did with the EMX and ESX. That last point is just speculation though.

It has nothing to do with Korg withholding units, just a busy time of year for new gear reviews.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
Where is the Sonic State review? The Sound on Sound review?

I know Sonic State has their's for review, they're still just trying to get through all the other NAMM releases as well still, they mentioned this in the last Podcast. I also talked to Paul Nagle at SOS and know his review of the electribe is already done and ready to go, but again there were a lot of other things in the queue ahead of the electribe that haven't made it to press yet either. I have a feeling they might pair it with the sampler version at this point, just like they did with the EMX and ESX. That last point is just speculation though.

It has nothing to do with Korg withholding units, just a busy time of year for new gear reviews.

Fair enough, I'm used to reviews done when the unit is released, much like yours was. Very Happy

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Buska

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think mistabishi over hyped the emx2. I took everything he said as gospel so when I actually had the e2 in front of me I was a tad disappointed. It's a great box but not that great.

The fact that all the official videos from korg never showed transitions between patterns (people would stop the seq and then switch pattern then press play again) shows that they new full well about the pattern change glitch and that is annoying to say the least.

The one edit parameter knob for synths and effects killed the e2 for me.. If they would just add a shift function for edit I would maybe even buy it again (secondhand)... Maybe..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: