Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akai, the future is software based... lets Advance.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Akai, the future is software based... lets Advance. Reply with quote

Before reacting please watch the whole video, its done extremely well, its funny and really shows where the akai Advance keyboards take software..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZcsbN5RCs4

The VIP software in combination with this keyboard turns your VST´s into a real Synthesizer. This works so intuitive with the lovely touchscreen and the welltought out interface that you have no need at all for watching at your PC screen at all...

You can play this like any other synthesizer and it does not even require a DAW..

needless to say, it took me ten secconds to order one after i finished this video, Akai is trying hard to make them available by 20th of April overhere in europe...

Just add this on top of your Kronos, you might also want to add the ableton push or the APC 40 mk2 and your homestudio is complete... as well is your livesetup. And if there wasnt a Karma in your Kronos i feared the worse...

Software instruments just took the step that hardware instruments should have taken.. Its just PC software and an interface, and it would work perfectly on the Kronos if programmed well.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NI did that years before and it was called Kore. Smile

Currently Advance is a nice start, but nowhere near Kore (doesn't load effects for one thing, and has a limit on 8 instruments, Kore didn't have limits and it was able to do any kind of routing between instruments and effects however you liked it).
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I wanted Kore when I saw it. I didn't have the money and when I finally had the money it was gone. I now hVe maschine and like a lot of people wish NI would take the best of Kore and incorporate it into maschine. I like what Akai is trying we will see how they implement it once it hits the streets, very promising.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Kore boxed from UK e-bay for 75 quid last week. Bargain! Awaiting the package now. Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they Kompletely abandoned it.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
NI did that years before and it was called Kore. Smile

Currently Advance is a nice start, but nowhere near Kore (doesn't load effects for one thing, and has a limit on 8 instruments, Kore didn't have limits and it was able to do any kind of routing between instruments and effects however you liked it).

Did you watch the video?

the only 8 instrument limit there is, is 8 different VST sounds in a single VIP patch, and if you go trough your DAW, you can have as much combinations of those as you have channels... The number of VST's it supports seems unlimmited

On top of that, they are adding configuration files for virtually any VST known, even standard expansions for Kontakt are supported. all you have to do is modify them for your own user created stuff.. all those VST's are recognised and categorised by Akai, with all that data being user accesible for free.

The huge advantage is the screen, which makes the whole UI so much beyound Kore2. I think this is the keyboard that NI kontroll should have been... on top of that, its made for musicians and not for programmers. I agree however it was a bloody shame that NI pulled Kore2 from the market and stayed away from it for that long. Never understood why, or it must have been the buildquallity, my Kore2 died many years ago from mechanical failure. But compared to Kore2 its a step ahead. because you used Kore2 in combination with a PC (selection), where this unit does everything from the small local touchscreen including navigation trough your patches and sounds..

Sure there is a lot of stuff we need to find out, like keybed quallity, how can you add effect chains to each of the sounds, how intuitive is the DAW controll part (as the number of buttons and knobs is somewhat limmited)

but this is the next step in advancement... i am quite sure of that.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Too bad they Kompletely abandoned it.

I'm not concerned, Kore still works on latest Windows without issues. It will continue working for years to come.

Bachus wrote:
the only 8 instrument limit there is, is 8 different VST sounds in a single VIP patch

That's what I meant!

Bachus wrote:
I agree however it was a bloody shame that NI pulled Kore2 from the market and stayed away from it for that long. Never understood why, or it must have been the buildquallity, my Kore2 died many years ago from mechanical failure.

Updates proved to become way too complex because of all the integrated engines. That, and they had Kore and Maschine at the same time, and Maschine proved more lucrative to them, so they axed Kore and diverted manpower to Maschine. Kinda logical from business perspective, but oh well...

Bachus wrote:
But compared to Kore2 its a step ahead. because you used Kore2 in combination with a PC (selection), where this unit does everything from the small local touchscreen including navigation trough your patches and sounds...

Err, you can do the same thing on the Kore controller (navigating and selecting sounds in the result list (or Performance List)), correct me if I'm wrong! I do agree that Akai did it slicker on the Advance, though.

Bachus wrote:
how can you add effect chains to each of the sounds.

That's what I was saying above - you CANNOT add effects at the moment! VIP software supports instruments only at the moment. I'm sure they'll add it at some point, but v1.0 is instruments only.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kore 2 i allways used the screen to select sounds in a patch, it worked so much better then on the controller itselves..

I am sorry i misread you about the effects...

. In the end i would expect something basic like an option to set a chain of sepperate VST effects for each of the 8 sounds ... And hopefully some general effects for the whole patch, with effects sends levels.. And ofcourse a way to controll the effects in real time over those knobs. This would be a huge dissapointment... What use are VSts witouth the brillant effects that makes the sound really shine? I am actually quite sure they will be forced to add this to VIP in the future..

Another worry is the keybed, akai promisses a good keybed, but if it does not live up to my standards, the keyboard will make a one way trip back to Thomann

This got me wondering about the VIP software even more. Just wondering if they make the VIP software accesible by MPC or APC comtrollers, or even 3rd party controllers trough midi.. That would be a nice option to if the keybed fails.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIP software is actually standalone... You can use it as a live host solely on your computer, with a different computer. It just offers advanced integration with Advance keyboards (sic).

Here's the thread from one of VIP software developers (Big Tick) on KvR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=429578
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
VIP software is actually standalone... You can use it as a live host solely on your computer, with a different computer. It just offers advanced integration with Advance keyboards (sic).

Here's the thread from one of VIP software developers (Big Tick) on KvR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=429578

Thanks, i just downloaded Zen... Which is actually the predecessor of VIP non commercial and witouth the hardware support, ill tell you tomorrow if i liked it. Going to see if i can somehow controll it with my novation Sl2 zero, and not just the params, but also the selection process... There is a huge user created database which supports most of the stuff i own..

Nice thread.. And prommising, as they are currently in the process of adding effects to the VIP program, which will also work from the controller... Its just Version 1, its ovious they put a lot of tought in this and it will grow to what we the musicians eventually want.. These developers are on par with us, i got a feeling that by next year we will need to have this discussion again and see what came from our expectations..

For now enjoy your Kore2.. And if you want to resell it at that price, give me a call ...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
For now enjoy your Kore2.. And if you want to resell it at that price, give me a call ...

Hehe. I somehow doubt it, I really like Kore software. Perfect for live usage. Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Hehe. I somehow doubt it, I really like Kore software. Perfect for live usage. Smile
did they ever add good support for 64 bit? And then not only support for 64 bit VST but mostly a version that does work on 64 bit

I had to run kore on a 32 bit vista machine back then..never got it working under windows 7 64 bit

But up till now, its the best VST host created.. Tough i think soom the new ViP software will make us forget about Kore...

Another thing that got me wondering is how NI will react to this keyboard, i think they will feel that they need to add support for nonNI vsts to Kontroll, because Otherwise people will do like me and choose akai...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Kore is 64-bit, and it does support running 64-bit plugins. I have Kore Player running on W7 without any issues - full Kore program is likely going to perform the same. Fine by me.

As far as NI, I don't think they're concerned about this Akai keyboard. They are concerned about creating an ecosystem for full-blown music production, so they envision people using Komplete, S series keyboards and Maschine all in tandem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfw3Uz2sWSQ
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Yes, Kore is 64-bit, and it does support running 64-bit plugins. I have Kore Player running on W7 without any issues - full Kore program is likely going to perform the same. Fine by me.

As far as NI, I don't think they're concerned about this Akai keyboard. They are concerned about creating an ecosystem for full-blown music production, so they envision people using Komplete, S series keyboards and Maschine all in tandem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfw3Uz2sWSQ

Well, i think Akai is their biggest competition...

http://youtu.be/GmTnpQ5a_5o

Combine these two with with a 76 or 88 key version of the keyboard..and you are well on the way...

Fun fact is that both these companies dont have a DAW in their software package... Huge difference, Akai builds for Live, while i suspect that NI will try and turn Maschine into a propper DAW.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kore type additions or tweaks to maschine but then again that might be more wishful thinking then anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: