Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe EMX2 - What are you using yours for/as?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Electribe EMX2 - What are you using yours for/as? Reply with quote

So I was wondering what you guys are actually doing with your E2's?

Stand alone groove box?

Heartbeat of a small studio? Midi Sync other gear from it?

Drum machine? Synth? Are you linking it up to other stuff....iPad, other synths etc.

How does it fit in to what you have, or not!
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% stand alone, 50% playing with ipad apps via USB MIDI (adding instruments and/or using Audio In to process ipad audio output with Electribe fx). Fits in very nicely and i'm well pleased with it, although i wouldn't say no to a big juicy OS update to tidy it's few loose ends up. It's portability is a big plus point for me as i have no dedicated studio space to leave things set up in, and it's great for lunch hour jams at work.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
wasstof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly using mine standalone but I'm starting to mix with my CD Decks...
Generally loving it, it's my first Groovebox so I'm not trying to relearn how to do stuff that was simple on the XYZBox!
Yes there are a few bits that seem illogical but I'm blown away by the sound and the capabilities of a box that means I don't have to switch my PC on and cost less than £350.
And Now a Volca Sample...
circuitghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to figure this out. I was planning on stand alone, but once I hooked it up with my Volca Sample, freeing up some processing power from the Tribe to make better use of the amps and filters, I realized it just has so much more to offer if you just relieve it from some of its simpler duties.

Right now, I'm using it with an Octatrack for the same purpose, but letting both instruments play to their strengths - drums and percussion go into the Octa, stamped from the Tribe and other sources. Anything melodic - bass, lead, pad, whatever - stays in the Tribe. Both instruments are manipulated live, using mostly the cross fader on the Octa and pattern shifts and masterFX on the Korg, with filters and the amps tweaked in real time.

Buuut ... I'm leaning more and more towards using the Tribe mainly as a source for loops and samples, and replacing its live function with an Analog Rytm.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standalone grovebox for a liveset, though I will probably end up pairing it with an iPad to help with transitions between patterns.
Automageddon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it as:
- Standalone groovebox (mostly for sofa or relaxed noodling)
- Part of my studio, synce with Maschine and Elektron A4, nowaday Maschine is used as a glorified midi switch...)
- Main source for drums/synths/noises on my electronic indie band
Pitchblender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: YouTube video doing Outlands by the Orb on the EMX2 & ES Reply with quote

I did this to show what I've been up to on the EMX2. Used an ES-1 for sample triggering but nearly used a tablet with MPC or might get ESX2 if I win the lottery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_ITT30Vac&spfreload=10

It's the Orb's 'Outlands' which I wanted to reproduce to get to know the E2 a bit better, and it turned out ok... more practice needed though...
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the central controller of my live set up, directly controlling 3 synths over midi and syncing my Volcas.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Steinberger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already posted a few times about the fun I'm having with external audio but lately I've been using it a lot with KORG DSN-12 on the Nintendo 3DS XL and Figure on iOS. No MIDI sync but it's not a problem at all.
wasstof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: YouTube video doing Outlands by the Orb on the EMX2 & Reply with quote

Pitchblender wrote:
I did this to show what I've been up to on the EMX2. Used an ES-1 for sample triggering but nearly used a tablet with MPC or might get ESX2 if I win the lottery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_ITT30Vac&spfreload=10

It's the Orb's 'Outlands' which I wanted to reproduce to get to know the E2 a bit better, and it turned out ok... more practice needed though...

Good One Pitchblender!
Classic "CHOON" brilliantly reworked- Love it!
And Now a Volca Sample...
captain johnson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so psyched to get E2 now!! gonna hook up a Volca sample with kick ass drums in it =) I think the E2 looks very capable when you free up more voices for synth an bass lines.

Hope everyone here posts little vid snippits of their tracks and set ups!
djkenstone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Stand a lone. Reply with quote

Stand alone straight into the korg sound on sound recorder.
http://djkenstone.com/?tag=electribe2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to figure out where it fits while i wait to sell it (sounds weird i know)

Got a new ipad (first for me) under a week ago and using the ipad with music apps made me understand more the tribe's strengths. I initially wanted to run it as a completely standalone device but wuickly realized it cant with what/how i want to make stuff.

Now im in the process to figure out which apps are the most complimentary to the tribe.

The korg gadget app is great for expanding on the tribe, channel/bar length limitations and also spice it up with more soundsources not available on the tribe.

Not something i have tried to do live yet, i see it more as preparing songs and patterns on both the tribe and gadget and save it and then launch scenes on gadget to run along side the tribe.

Figure is a great app for quickly jamming withoutaving to know precisely what you want to create. I started with it on iphone was really fun and now i have it on ipad as well. The afixed patterns can get boring quick if you use the app extensively, wish. There was a way to edit the pattern divisions on it (is there?)

Theres also launchkey which is a somewhat simple but yet powerful keyboard app with a bunch of different parameters to edit along with my favorite feature: an arppegio with hold functionality. You can also run it with midi from electribe. It has 16 midi channel inputs on it. I havent tried it yet but from what i understand you could technically run all 16 parts on the tribe through launchkey and not use any of the ewlectribe engines at all (youll be missing drums though)

I created a post just now asking for advice about samplr because i was hoping i could use the ipad as a fancy looper for the tribe where live i can just c ome up with a patterns record a 16 bar loop with live parameter adjusting and then have samplr loop it and go into the tribe and either change patterns for a nicer transition or just add onto it.
Also loopy HD should do kindof the same thing but i really like the controls of samplr... Record 16bar loop divide it into 4x4bar bars and then randomize the play still cant figure out how to do this seamlessly (or at this point even functinally) to use live.

Sorry this kindof derailed into an ipad post.... Basically how im hoping to use my tribe would be joined with an ipad and maybe my iphone too to compliment each other.
N3V3RM1ND

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
Mine is the central controller of my live set up, directly controlling 3 synths over midi and syncing my Volcas.

This is what I'd like to do as well.. But I'm having trouble assigning midi channels. Getting my synths to slave to my e2. Need help.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI channels are fixed on the electribe, part 1 is channel 1, part 2 is channel 2, Etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: