Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to be excited by the new Electribe Sampler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
circuitghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:
circuitghost wrote:
Buska wrote:
circuitghost wrote:
For reference, check out what the Analog Rytm can do with just one sample:
https://soundcloud.com/elektronauts/ar-zillamatic-youre-not-a-device

That's a song built from eight tracks, all of them using the Analog Rytm's own engine to create something with a vocal sample.

So if you're looking for options, that's one way to go.

Pricey, though.

But a lot of people use it more and more for its sample playback capabilities.

Want an octatrack and analog rhythm really bad, but I just can't justify them. One day Cool

I've owned an Octatrack for about a year. It's my one instrument I'd keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

It's a strange little beast, and certainly not a sampler to me, just something that can sample, play back samples really well and do cool things with samples. But I'd be selling it short if I described it as such, so I won't.

Yeah octatrack is first on my elektron list. I've watched soo many videos and lurked the elektron forum since it's unveiling. I've watched the tutorials and read the manual. I nearly bought one new a year ago but had too many other things going on to spend my money on it. But like I said, one day it will be mine Laughing

I saw one for sale locally for $1200 the other day but by the time I called it was already sold

I went through the same thing, my hands on the trigger several times but always too late to pull. But then I found one that'd been out for only an hour or so, and I bought it immediately. I was ready Smile

I think a lot of people using to like to scare prospective users about its learning curve, it's so difficult to learn but it's all worth it and blah blah.

It's not a difficult instrument to learn. What it is, is an open-ended machine with so many entry points and uses, it's difficult to know where to start, because it will most likely change your entire workflow. And that takes time.

Best way to approach is to not decide what you're going to use it for, but just do different things with it, one at a time. Learn that feature, do something with it, then move on to the next. Eventually, you'll find ways to cross link these features with each other, in a way no one else has - no Octatrack user plays the instrument as anyone else - and it'll grow on you.

So yes, it takes time. But it's not steep or difficult in the traditional sense. It's like a relationship. You don't really know someone until you've spent some time with them in different situations. Then, you know.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sampler model has 3 filters vs 16 on the synth model, and no analogue modelling oscillators according to James Pullen (specs don't list how many oscillators it does have though). Some people report 100 vs 409 on the synth version.

The only reason to disable a bunch of waveforms and nearly all filter types is to differentiate between models I think. There is no reason to use hardware less powerful than a 2010 smartphone in a 2015 device.
Buska

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

circuitghost wrote:
Buska wrote:
circuitghost wrote:
Buska wrote:
circuitghost wrote:
For reference, check out what the Analog Rytm can do with just one sample:
https://soundcloud.com/elektronauts/ar-zillamatic-youre-not-a-device

That's a song built from eight tracks, all of them using the Analog Rytm's own engine to create something with a vocal sample.

So if you're looking for options, that's one way to go.

Pricey, though.

But a lot of people use it more and more for its sample playback capabilities.

Want an octatrack and analog rhythm really bad, but I just can't justify them. One day Cool

I've owned an Octatrack for about a year. It's my one instrument I'd keep if I had to get rid of everything else.

It's a strange little beast, and certainly not a sampler to me, just something that can sample, play back samples really well and do cool things with samples. But I'd be selling it short if I described it as such, so I won't.

Yeah octatrack is first on my elektron list. I've watched soo many videos and lurked the elektron forum since it's unveiling. I've watched the tutorials and read the manual. I nearly bought one new a year ago but had too many other things going on to spend my money on it. But like I said, one day it will be mine Laughing

I saw one for sale locally for $1200 the other day but by the time I called it was already sold

I went through the same thing, my hands on the trigger several times but always too late to pull. But then I found one that'd been out for only an hour or so, and I bought it immediately. I was ready Smile

I think a lot of people using to like to scare prospective users about its learning curve, it's so difficult to learn but it's all worth it and blah blah.

It's not a difficult instrument to learn. What it is, is an open-ended machine with so many entry points and uses, it's difficult to know where to start, because it will most likely change your entire workflow. And that takes time.

Best way to approach is to not decide what you're going to use it for, but just do different things with it, one at a time. Learn that feature, do something with it, then move on to the next. Eventually, you'll find ways to cross link these features with each other, in a way no one else has - no Octatrack user plays the instrument as anyone else - and it'll grow on you.

So yes, it takes time. But it's not steep or difficult in the traditional sense. It's like a relationship. You don't really know someone until you've spent some time with them in different situations. Then, you know.

Yeah I'm at the pull the trigger phase now Smile

One of my favourite artists (upright) uses an octatrack

https://m.soundcloud.com/cold-busted/do-it
gadgetboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
by the way, its not 270 sec per pattern, its 270 period.

surely samples will reload when you switch pattern right?

not gonna be stuck with the same samples for every pattern...
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetboy wrote:
surely samples will reload when you switch pattern right?
not gonna be stuck with the same samples for every pattern...

One can imagine either an extra "*.e2smp" file containing all samples used by a specific pattern ("*.e2pat" file).
Or more likely, all samples will be stored on the SD Card, and patterns will be pointing on specific waveforms by their path and name to have them loaded into RAM.

Quote:
The unit is shipped with numerous drum, rhythm/phrase loops, and hit samples included. (collaborations with Sample Magic, Loopmasters, Prime Loops are included)
See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/

Question
bog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:
2. So far, everything is heresay. Nobody knows if it's 270 sec. Per pattern or total, for example.

It's 270 seconds (of mono samples) total for the unit, period.

On Korg's website:
"There can be up to a total of 999 preset and user samples, and a maximum of 270 seconds of sampling time (calculated as monaural) can be used."
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe_sampler/
bog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buska wrote:

Be aware that Octatrack is still limited to only 85 MB of RAM and 128 samples per project, or only being able to stream 8 audio tracks at once from the card.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect higher priced gear to be perfect. Basically, every gear has its own limitations. Learn to work within the confines and discover workarounds to break out of them. Use what works for you.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:

bog wrote:

Not period.

The original ESX product page simply states "Maximum 285 (mono) seconds" and nothing else, but you can import samples at different rates to increase that time. If the same is true for the new Electribe, you can have up to a total of 1,080 seconds (18 minutes) for mono 6kHz samples.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
jbl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but if there is no way to take advantage of all that storage, that will be a fail IMO. I mean we're talking about what, ram of about 32-64mb? I'm not saying it will easy to access but if they don't, at very least, offer us a way to save and load backup global a that contain different samples, it would make larger sd cards useless for anything other than recording yourself. That would suck.
bog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
roblabs wrote:

bog wrote:

Not period.

The original ESX product page simply states "Maximum 285 (mono) seconds" and nothing else, but you can import samples at different rates to increase that time. If the same is true for the new Electribe, you can have up to a total of 1,080 seconds (18 minutes) for mono 6kHz samples.

ESX is 285 seconds of mono samples at 44.1kHz of total available memory for the unit. The new Electribe Sampler is 270 seconds of mono samples at 48kHz of total available memory for the unit, period.

I'm not sure you understand what a 6kHz sample would sound like. You're not going to get anything useable from such low sample rates. Anything lower than 44.1kHz will start to show noticeable degradation in the audio the lower you go.
bog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbl wrote:
I'm sorry but if there is no way to take advantage of all that storage, that will be a fail IMO. I mean we're talking about what, ram of about 32-64mb? I'm not saying it will easy to access but if they don't, at very least, offer us a way to save and load backup global a that contain different samples, it would make larger sd cards useless for anything other than recording yourself. That would suck.

The memory cards in electribes are for storage only. You can't directly access/browse/load/stream samples from the memory card on the fly. The way electribes work is, you have to load them from the card into the built-in onboard memory first (which is limited by the maximum sample capacity of 270 seconds mono) before you can use them.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm fully aware that a sample rate of 6kHz will be seriously downgraded, but the point I was trying to make is that the actual "time" both you and roblabs mentioned is only for that specific sampling rate. I used to own a Roland MS-1 about a decade ago, then later a microSAMPLER and dropping the sample rate down to 24kHz on either unit worked just fine. It doubled the sampling time and the audio quality didn't take too much of a drop in quality.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone is going to need pristine CD quality sound for their samples, especially since this appears to be designed more toward being a sample synthesizer best suited for shorter sounds. Plus there's been hundreds of musicians that have used gear from the 80s where dropping the sampling rate was almost a necessity, but doing so resulted in a very unique sound. One of my former bandmates used to own the E-mu Emax and its lo-fi samples was what made it so great.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
jbl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bog, are you tester? I'm just asking bc you seem to know so much about the details already. As for "on the fly" that's fine. I just wanted to be able to load a backup global. If it takes a few minutes, that's fine.

Honestly, if not even this can be done, I'll very possibly take a pass.
circuitghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave up the wait and bought myself an Analog Rytm instead. The engine in that instrument is a thing of beauty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: