Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tremolo possible ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: tremolo possible ? Reply with quote

ive never been a massive user of it but i am desperately trying to make it happen, i cannot figure it out - possible?

ive tried a whole manner of things i thought intially might work but nothing Sad
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tremolo possible ? Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
ive never been a massive user of it but i am desperately trying to make it happen, i cannot figure it out - possible?

ive tried a whole manner of things i thought intially might work but nothing Sad

I've not found a way. You have to route LFO to Amp. Unfortunately the Amp on the MS20 always uses EG2, and anything plugged into the initial gain only adds to EG2, so without being able to disconnect EG2 I've not found a way to do it. Time to find a cheap tremolo pedal on eBay.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've ripped out my hair trying to get around it, oh well without the mod that disconnects the eg2 we are knackered. I feel I may be getting closer and closer to being daring and getting some mods

Tremolo pedal? I assume you plug the ms output into a pedal to achieve?
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: tremolo possible ? Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:

Not sure if this would do the trick but there are 3 patch points on the back of the PCB labelled "VCA Jack In", "VCA Jack SW", and "VCA Jack Gnd". As far as my research has shown so far this "possibly" would allow connecting a switched/stereo 1/4" input jack that would disable the internal env->Amp routing and allow a different source (like an LFO) to modulate the VCA.

Haven't tried wiring any of these alternate expanded PCB patch points yet, still in the research phase Wink
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
Yes I've ripped out my hair trying to get around it, oh well without the mod that disconnects the eg2 we are knackered. I feel I may be getting closer and closer to being daring and getting some mods

Tremolo pedal? I assume you plug the ms output into a pedal to achieve?

I do, yes. Very Happy

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: question for you frenzies Reply with quote

frenzies, hey I see you have a microbrute, ive got a one arriving from Germany in the next week.

have you driven the ms20 from the microbrute sequencer?

I know the pitch voltages may have to go through esp to get correct but i assume the gate, filter, lfo modulation etc are ok to use back and forth between the two units?
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that with ring modulator effects if you slow down the rate you can get a tremolo effect.

I don't have my MS-20 Mini at hand, but this synth has a fake ring mod (the "Ring" setting for VCO2). You could try playing with that and see if you can get a tremolo effect.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: question for you frenzies Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
frenzies, hey I see you have a microbrute, ive got a one arriving from Germany in the next week.

have you driven the ms20 from the microbrute sequencer?

I know the pitch voltages may have to go through esp to get correct but i assume the gate, filter, lfo modulation etc are ok to use back and forth between the two units?

James,
I use the LFO between the 2 all the time, I'll have a play later to see how the other outputs interact with the ms20.

Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - please let me know - hopefully my mb arrives soon

ive just seen that there is no output from the mb sequencer so I suppose that's that answered so unfortunately I wont be driving the ms20 with sequences in a live mode

unfortunate and strange that a sequencer does not transmit note info and yet you can save the sequence as midi....weird.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
cool - please let me know - hopefully my mb arrives soon

ive just seen that there is no output from the mb sequencer so I suppose that's that answered so unfortunately I wont be driving the ms20 with sequences in a live mode

unfortunate and strange that a sequencer does not transmit note info and yet you can save the sequence as midi....weird.

The gate out on the MB doesn't play nicely, the ms20 is always playing and is stopped by pressing a key on MB. Must be reversed somehow. Pitch out obviously is in the wrong format, ENV out certainly does something, but not sure how useful it is. LFO out is the only really useful one I think, allowing you to get tempo locked modulation.

Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn it - oh well at least there is tempo modulation Laughing

wonder if the will work better through the esp.

thanks for your efforts and reply frenzies
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:

I have been playing sensible though, plugging things in where they should be, like gate out in to trig in. There's nothing to say you won't get interesting results going into patch points you shouldn't!
The esp is fun if you don't want to make any musical sounds. I can only get it to track across one octave, and even then it's still 30 cents out by the octave, but plugging other things in, like drum machines, has given me very interesting results, normally a bit early Daft Punk ish.

el_hombre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, is it really not possible to get a trem on the MS20? I've never tried to get a pure trem on the MS20 so I wouldn't know.
Just trem-like effects using the MG which has been close enough for me, but that hasn't been on the VCA or anything like that.
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
Jamie Munro wrote:

I have been playing sensible though, plugging things in where they should be, like gate out in to trig in. There's nothing to say you won't get interesting results going into patch points you shouldn't!
The esp is fun if you don't want to make any musical sounds. I can only get it to track across one octave, and even then it's still 30 cents out by the octave, but plugging other things in, like drum machines, has given me very interesting results, normally a bit early Daft Punk ish.

This guy has it working, mb sequencer driving the ms20 , my bm should be here tomorrow and this is the 1st thing I'm trying.

Could do with findng out the dangers of plugging the mb into the ms though, isn't it twice the voltage output?m

http://youtu.be/Kcd_DgNasnw
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_hombre wrote:
Wow, is it really not possible to get a trem on the MS20? I've never tried to get a pure trem on the MS20 so I wouldn't know.
Just trem-like effects using the MG which has been close enough for me, but that hasn't been on the VCA or anything like that.

It seems difficult, very difficult to achieve, even harder to believe but hey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: