Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Send "Sync Out" to other Hardware?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstrnic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Send "Sync Out" to other Hardware? Reply with quote

Hello

Is it possible to send the sync signal to other hardware for timing?

I want to sync the Volca series with a Microkorg XL and a Arturia Microbrute Since the Microkorg has no sequencer, i wanted to use a beatstep with it. So there's that too..

EDIT:

Would this work?

Volca Beats -> SQ1
SQ1 Gate Out -> Microbrute Gate In
SQ1 Midi Out -> Microkorg Midi In

I want to step sequence the Microkorg with SQ1 and just send timing to the MicroBrute built-in sequencer/LFO.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that set up chain you listed should work just fine. Be aware though that trying to sequence MIDI devices with the SQ-1 has its limitation. You're unable to transpose sequences on the fly and would have to shift the pitch manually on the microKorg itself if you want to transpose. I'm pretty sure you can set up one of the Assign knobs do to it.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
mstrnic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I am fine with the limitation. i usually do live reprogramming with all the units in reach, workin on a small space.

Hmm.. So if this works that means i could daisy chain even more midi gear later on and have them tempo synced too (?) - is there an actual clock signal?
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use "SQ1-Gate" for sync (accept you do want to have "special effects"). Gate <> Sync !!

You mentioned to use a Beatstep - I do not have one but to my knowledge you can use it as a slave-device only via USB-in (no sync-in, no midi-in - that´s the main reason why I did not buy it). In that case I would recommend to use the Beatstep as master for your setup and go from there to the other equipment. Otherwise the SQ1 gives in my opinion a reasonable "Master" except you have to take care of the settings (clock-divisions).

I would avoid Sync-daisy-chaining as you might get problems. Instead you can use as a very cheap Sync-distributor for example the Belkin Rockstar 5way or a Doepfer multiple or a few stackable cables.
The same with Midi: either you use MidiThrou from MidiSolution or Kenton (there are always cheap used ones in the market) or Midi-split-cables.

Just as an example how I connected my equipment for a quick YouTube-Video pls have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofAdPGCLWo
mstrnic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative video!

I don't have the Beatstep and i dropped the idea of getting it for the same reason you have: it has no inputs, amongst other things.

I own a RockStar so there's that covered.

To sum up the gear and the problems:
- Microbrute has a sequencer but no MIDI-OUT (only USB OUT)
- MicroKorg does not have a sequencer (also lacks a THRU)
- Volca can't send MIDI, just "sync".

Looks like i should just go MIDI-IN with everything, get the Kenton 5-way and call it a day.

Now i just need one piece that can act as master.

Hmm... should i get an Electribe for this purpose? It wasn't high on my "buy-next" list, as i am waiting on the ESX2, but looking at this configuration i kinda need something like that.

Also, maybe Yamaha QY-20?
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look to following discussion:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=96136

Lot´s of other gear to consider Very Happy

Not the sky is the limit - it´s the money ...

by the way: how close to the Austrian border do you live?
mstrnic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT: ugh.. i guess far away. i live in the middle so i guess about 6 hours
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you send sequencer data via usb to the microkorg from the mbrute?

and send sync from the volca to the mbrute?

1: volca sync out>mbrute
2: mbrute usb>microkorg

microkorg accepts clock info via usb and auto - so if there is a clock signal being transmitted from the volca via the mbrute you should be fine?
mstrnic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But i wanted a solution without PC. Sorry that i wasnt clear about that. However it is going to be an all midi solution in the end. Im gettin another external sequencer that feeds the clock
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok no need for pc as mbrute and microkorg have usb. mbrute is sending and microkorg is receiving

you could try this below also:

use the microkorg as master as it sends midi clock

microkorg>volca via midi
volca>mbrute via sync
mbrute>microkorg via usb (this is purely for sequencer across usb, not clock info)

Smile

I assume that the sync output on volca will transmit even if it is in slave mode.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:

mbrute>microkorg via usb (this is purely for sequencer across usb, not clock info)

You actually can't connect two pieces of gear this way unless you have a computer or some kind of mobile device app between them acting as a MIDI host.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for that - i've never tried hence my post but I assumed it would work, what is the problem with that method?

I was just using the logic of midi over usb.

every day is a school day as they say.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie Munro wrote:
ok, thanks for that - i've never tried hence my post but I assumed it would work, what is the problem with that method?

I was just using the logic of midi over usb.

every day is a school day as they say.

The main problem is the way the ports are designed. Both instruments have "B" sized USB ports. Standard USB cables have one larger "B" end, then the thinner "A" end which connects to a computer. I've tried using an adapter to make my own double "B" cable to connect my microSTATION to my Korg R3, but the instruments simply wouldn't communicate with each other. Even though you'd think it's just sending MIDI, it's needs a computer host with a proper USB driver installed to work.
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes of course, I hadn't considered the actual connection point of the cable, daft sod.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to this without knowing details on your instruments:

sometimes USB-ports on instruments only allow the instrument to work as "slave" and not as "master". so even having "the right cable" does not necessary mean that you will have a data-exchange between the two ports. If both intruments are "slave only": bad luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: