Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live set and changing patches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashes1881

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Live set and changing patches Reply with quote

Hey everybody. Back again!
I need some help. I am used to easy patch switching from my previous keyboards. To be honest, there was a lot more ease of things before. Although the krome is wicked in the things that it can do. I feel limited when trying to change patches during a song.
Has anybody got any advice in a set up or how you would approach this.
I currently have my live set in th combination section D but after playing a solo and needing to immediately change patch I lose some sound where it cuts off.
So what are your set ups?

Please help a fella out.

Ash
rovito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assign different sounds to different key areas and all the sounds I need are available with out switching patches. Just move to the other keys that sound is assigned to. I use two keybeds to do this but depending on how many keys you need to play a certain part it can be done on one key bed. You can also put it in a lower octave and use the octave shift buttons to move back and forth.
ashes1881

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem when it comes to this is I use a number of lead tones. Sometimes 2 different ones in a track. The ifx/tfx can only be copied from one of the leads which means the other doesn't soubd the way it should.
Also with some tones lead, strings, horns and so on which also use the mod buttons so using the octave changing mods is a wicked idea but not so much a practical one for me. But still, wicked cool idea.

Do you/and or anybody else know whether a footswitch would be of any use. And how it would work to change patches. Would it be a case of going up/down in the list or can they be specifically defined.

Sorry to be a pain.
maranite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, check out post on using RPPR and SYSEX...you can assign a key to play a pattern that contains a program change sysex message....so mid-performance you can switch programs by playing a key.
ashes1881

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maranite.
Thanks for the info. I looked and followed the steps. It just seemed to give me a drum track played by a piano.
I am after all assuming you meant the "dynamic live performance" thread.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rovito wrote:
I assign different sounds to different key areas and all the sounds I need are available with out switching patches.

Depending on the complexity of the song, I do exactly the same thing.

In some songs I set up multiple Combis. Then for parts of the song that require an immediate and instant switch I can just use a different part of the keyboard. For parts where I have a second or two to breathe I have them all saved in User 16, and change Combis with one press of the touchscreen from the Catergory/Combination Select menu. There's one song we do where I have three separate lead sounds, a synth pad an EP and an electric guitar, and it all comes together without a drama.

And that's all on a Krome 61 - it would be even easier on the 88 version.

For simpler songs I simply have my live patches saved in User 16 programs, and leave the Krome on the Category/Program Select menu. Again, one touch does it all. For example, in one track I need a Wurly, marimba and Hammond sound, it works no dramas at all.

But if this all seems like too much, what a great excuse to buy another keyboard! You can never have too many...
ashes1881

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, cowboyNQ
I have a 61key. The thing that annoys me most about this is the lack of independence on split combinations. I had a korgPS60 before this and you could have 2-3 leads on one split that sound completely different but with all the effects you want on each. This one you have to import from one of the programs and the effects from that program then are the only selectable ones for your other instruments. This may be more of a reason than program changing to get me a new board.

I set my current sounds up for live set in combination anyway but I just don't find it a smooth enough transition. For instance: a section where playing a solo with specific lead and the next bar changes to a specific strong patch. I've just often found myself missing the first couple of notes or the first chord in that bar. Which annoys me haha. It's like an ocd issue for me "no! That chord has to go there or it doesn't sound the way the track is suppose to sound!"

I was just looking for a smoother way to work but maybe getting a new board may not be such a bad idea.

Thanks for your response.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashes1881 wrote:
maybe getting a new board may not be such a bad idea.

Getting a new 'board is NEVER a bad idea Very Happy *

*Your wife may disagree
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg way of working with IFX is far more flexible than what the competition offers. Obviously there is a limit to the amount of IFX you can use but generally you can create quite workable setups. In combi mode on the Krome, I believe you have 5IFX and 2MFX, correct? Generally you'll want a multi-purpose reverb in at least one of the two MFX slots, you can decide how much reverb you want per timbre. With 5IFX, surely you can get the essence of a few lead sounds right. You just have to be clever about routing and deciding which FX are most essential to the sound. That said, if you find 5 slots limiting and you like analog leads and such, you could consider a Kronos. That has 12IFX slots. But the principle remains the same.
Ricky_jcr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a different approach.
Every time, before a gig or live performance, I set up my combis in order in the User 16 bank, and use a footswitch [option to "value inc"] and switch the sounds with one tap with my foot. So every time I tap on the foot pedal, the Krome instantly +1s the selected combi value. So I can cycle through my sounds very easily while playing with both hands.

I got this technique from Jordan Rudess who uses this with his Kronos. Obviously, the sound transitions are much smoother on the Kronos, but for instant sound switching, this works like a charm on the Krome.
ilyau2003

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my krome 88 and tried to figure out optimal live play formula. I used Nord Stages before and live approach is very different.
I need to use splits and possibly multipple sounds per song and switch between sounds with one button press(not touch screen press as I miss it often)
What I arrived is as following:

- use Combination mode to program sounds per song

-if different song reaquires multipple sounds, put them into same combination, different tracks and different MIDI channel numbers, best to use sequential channels for the adjacent parts of song that need sound change. The 1st sound best to assign to the default channel Global, well or change default channel to be 2. Reason is that as you see in the next steps I use inc/dec buttons and going from default 2 down and up allows 3 souds switch with single button press.

-At play time:

- Before every song select the song in combination

- Press global button /system preferrences, highlight MIDI channel(default is global)

- Play with Global config page open and MIDI channel highlighted

-To switch sounds, press inc/dec buttons to get to the pre-programmed new soud in this combination with ths MIDI channel

This way all your song sounds are within 1 combi entry, 3 sounds you can reach through 1 button press with open global system pref by changing MIDI channel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: