Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving and loading samples...Driving me MAD!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartlas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Saving and loading samples...Driving me MAD!!!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

New Triton user here, only had the board for 2 weeks, bought it so I could sample sounds and play live in stage with my amazing band. However, the thing is driving me nuts!! (Also having a 5 year old, 3 year old and 6 week old baby means I don't have hours to practice!)

So, I have my sound on my laptop. I've figured out how to sample them into the Triton, added effects and stored the multisample (if thats what its called) in location 000, program bank E.

I know that the Triton won't hold the samples in memory, so have some floppies which I've formatted. (my board doesn't have the SSCI port fitted)

My problem comes with the saving and loading system. The manual isn't very clear and I don't really know what I'm doing. I figure that I have to save both the PCG data for program bank E but I've also learnt that I have to save the sample data too, otherwise when I load it back the samples have vanished.

Could anyone suggest EXACTLY the correct way to save and reload the data? Do I load the PCG data first, or use the "load PCG and sample data function?" I've spent valuable hours sampling the same bloody sounds only to find out when I load it back that there is nothing there.

I can't get my head around what is a sample and what is a multisample either. I don't understand what the "index 001" etc is, what the "MS>000New MS" section is all about either. The keyboard range setting is a little odd too, even though I've set it to 1 key, the first sound I sample will play for an octave under the original key location.

At this rate after 2 weeks of ownership I will end up trading it in for a Roland FA-06! I like the Triton and want to learn how to do this, but I already have a Krome and other than the sampler, the Krome is generally better sounding, maybe I was silly to buy the Triton.

Can any of you superstars help me out in easy to understand terms? Thanks one hundred million!!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Loading Your Samples Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum. You have thrown us a lot of questions. I hope my reply will help you. First, I'm hoping that you have a copy of the manual. If not you can download one from KORG USA. http://i.korg.com/support Click on your product>. Back to what I think might help with your main issue. Once you have your sample loaded into the KB, and stored where you want it, I've found it works well to select 'Save All' and save everything on a clean floppy. If you don't have a large amount of data it should fit on one disk. If data is too large for one disk, you'll be prompted to use multiple disks. Then next time you boot up the KB, select>disk>load tab (bottom left of the screen)>tap the load dropdown box (top right of the screen)>load select, check all the boxes of files that are shown, and load all of the files at one time. Your sample will be right where you put it before you powered down. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but after you get the hang of it, things will start to go your way. The Classic Triton is not the newest KB out there, but I think it's a great KB and I hope to play it for years to come. Good luck!
hartlas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've tried again and successfully managed to save and re load my samples and the patch. AT LAST!! Thanks. Took 2 floppies and takes nearly 3 minutes just to load the "'d'oh", hand clap and "W'oh!" sound from Uptown funk. Slow but at least it works, just hope I don't get a power cut on stage!

Getting to like the Triton more and more as I play it. Was not impressed first time I tried it, but spending time going through the combi's reveals lots of usable but cool sounds, some of the lead solo patches rock!!

Thanks for taking time to reply!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you've got the Triton working for you. If you can find a SCSI board/port to add to your KB, the loading time will be a many times faster, but then you need to buy a SCSI drive unit and cable. Life is never simple. Cheers Sounds Good
hartlas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon, if I could just ask one more question....

So I have my samples and load them each time I boot up, they go into program E000.

What if I now want to do some new samples and have them stored in E001 and E002 as well as keeping the original ones in E000.

Do I;

A) Just turn on the Triton, do my sampling and store the samples in location E001 and execute a "Save All" command?

B) Load my existing samples first, then create a new sample which is stored / saved in location E001 and then "Save All"?

I would imagine that option A would mean the floppy disc only saves my new samples which means my old ones would be lost, right?

If its option B how do I create the new samples without getting them mixed up with my existing old samples, as I would have all the old ones in there too.

I really don't want to cock this up as it took hours to get my original sample created and would be gutted if I lost the original ones by doing something wrong! I hope my question makes sense sorry its a long post!

Thank yo sooooooooooooooooooo much!!
Wink Wink Wink
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got it figured out. Power up, LOAD what you've saved from your previous edits. Then go ahead and create the 'new' samples and assign them to E001 or where ever you want. Just put them someplace other than where you have saved the original samples. If you mess things up, just turn off the KB and start over. You haven't trashed your original samples, they are still on your floppies. Then when you are happy with the new edits, go through the 'Save All' procedure again with your discs. You can always use a second set of discs just for some insurance.

Another idea from your post, you mentioned a hand clap sample. I just want to make sure you know that the Triton has hand clap already stored in it. Find your 'Standard Drum Kit' in the program section and it's located on E flat (2) I think. I'd give you the program number, but my Korg has been edited big time and my drum program may not be in the same location as yours.

Rock on!
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I advise you to buy a Gotek Floppy Disk Emulator from aliexpress, China website. I ordered mine for 35$, and it works great. It enables to use usb flash drive as 1000 floppies replacing original heavy and noisy FDD drive. Loading speed is a bit faster, but not quite, compared to SCSI. But it anyway is more reliable than floppies to store samples and sequences. And more easier to exchange with PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: