Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording e2 performances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atb1983

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Recording e2 performances Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been covered in other threads, but I'm unclear on one thing with the new electribe:

It sounds like I can use Event Recorder to record a performance - i.e. me triggering parts and tweaking knobs. And it also sounds like the electribe can then play the events file back to me just as I performed it. But, can it render that performance as .wav audio?

From looking at the manual and stuff it seems like only patterns or pattern sets can be exported as audio. But then wouldn't I basically have to re-arrange my individual clips/stems with Live?
Frenzies

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording e2 performances Reply with quote

atb1983 wrote:
I apologize if this has been covered in other threads, but I'm unclear on one thing with the new electribe:

It sounds like I can use Event Recorder to record a performance - i.e. me triggering parts and tweaking knobs. And it also sounds like the electribe can then play the events file back to me just as I performed it. But, can it render that performance as .wav audio?

From looking at the manual and stuff it seems like only patterns or pattern sets can be exported as audio. But then wouldn't I basically have to re-arrange my individual clips/stems with Live?

You are right as far as I can tell from messing with it, the export is only for the current pattern or for patterns in the pattern set. As far as rearranging with Live, yes, that's the idea. You sketch things in the e2 and then further arrange them in live, it's not supposed to be an export of a finished track.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
atb1983

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. Kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker. I think I'm actually going to just record straight to cassette anyway. Cool

The last thing I want to dick around with is computer based recording. That's kind of exactly what I'm getting away from.

I feel like one of the YouTube reviews (maybe the SonicLAB one?) mentioned that the .als export would arrange things into scenes. That kind of made me think maybe it would render event recorder performances as clips/scenes arranged how you had triggered them - and then you'd just use Live to render out the audio. That would be kinda cool.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if this is a technology limitation but everything that ive seen fom korg or any other companies that have a built in ableton export function always targets scene exporting and nothing touches the arrangement view....
Even most controllers focus on the scene side and neglect the arrangement side... sucks to people who compose everything straight into arrangement... (dunno how they manage to do that though, sounds crazy to me)

Best bet is to record a performance with event recorder and then replay it while recording the output.. also i tried it once and you can technically add on more live performance (i.e. you can tweak knobs and change the sounds like filter and modulation) during the event recorder playback but no lights or any visual feedback is displayed so you'd have to really memorize where each part of your track is in which part.

If someone has better information about most event recording editing can clarify please do. (also you can';t rerecord on top of the recorded event. it can only be done live)
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

256K wrote:
sucks to people who compose everything straight into arrangement... (dunno how they manage to do that though, sounds crazy to me)

That's how I use Live most of the time, arrangement mode works like a tape recorder. I'll record some jamming and then chop it up into clips to mess around with in session mode.

Being able to go back and forth between modes is Live's best feature.
atb1983

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this a lot... because I love my electribe and I'm jamming with it every night.

All we would need is a "Render" option in Event Recorder's menu. Even if it happened in real-time or something - example: my Event Recorder performance is 14 minutes of knob twiddling, I don't care if I have to re-play all 14 minutes while the electribe renders audio in the background... would still be sweet.

What irks me is that the device is already doing this on a smaller scale. If I render patterns, it's taking all of my individual part performances and doing the same thing. Sooo... just make it render the whole "timeline", if you will! It might take more CPU but Event Recorder kind of pauses the unit as it plays back things anyway so just devote all of the hardware to this process...

I dunno.

I really think that this can be done. If Korg won't do it, can we hack into the software and make it happen? Razz
gsrosser1989

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to just use an audio interface because you're going to have to use one anyways to get the recording off the device. Get an interface and run it through live lite or whatever daw you use.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main gripe with the export function is the creating of loops. If you use an effect or long note that carries thought to the first bar when playing back normally your loops will sound off as all loops will start clean. No fx/notes will tail to the first bars like it does when you're messing with it.

Recording directly form the audio outpost bypasses this but introduces D/A conversion and you won't get Ableton projects. Maybe an option to toggle what type of loop it creates would be nice.
atb1983

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsrosser1989 wrote:
Your best bet is to just use an audio interface because you're going to have to use one anyways to get the recording off the device. Get an interface and run it through live lite or whatever daw you use.

My solution is much more elegant. If the electribe itself could just render audio from the performance, then all you'd have to do to "get the recording off the device" is find the file on the SD card. Why record it once on the electribe and then record your recording with an audio interface?
atb1983

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchcow wrote:
My main gripe with the export function is the creating of loops. If you use an effect or long note that carries thought to the first bar when playing back normally your loops will sound off as all loops will start clean. No fx/notes will tail to the first bars like it does when you're messing with it.

Recording directly form the audio outpost bypasses this but introduces D/A conversion and you won't get Ableton projects. Maybe an option to toggle what type of loop it creates would be nice.

I have noticed this too. I think the .als export functionality could be a lot better and I hope it sees some improvements. I think the electribe should be able to capture a performance and then if you want you bring it into Live or whatever DAW you want and do some final polishing. Re-arranging the song out of its pieces and fixing all of the loops isn't final polishing in my opinion, it's recreating the song again.
gsrosser1989

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atb1983 wrote:
gsrosser1989 wrote:

My solution is much more elegant. If the electribe itself could just render audio from the performance, then all you'd have to do to "get the recording off the device" is find the file on the SD card. Why record it once on the electribe and then record your recording with an audio interface?

because the live performance recording file on the electribe is unreadable by computers...
atb1983

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsrosser1989 wrote:
atb1983 wrote:
gsrosser1989 wrote:

because the live performance recording file on the electribe is unreadable by computers...

Did you read the thread? I know that.

*edit* not trying to be a dick. I'm basically saying "man it sucks that the electribe can't do this, I wish that it could, I wonder if it could happen in a future update" and your response is "the electribe can't do that" ...
gsrosser1989

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I just get confused when people beat a horse that's been dead for the past 4 months.
atb1983

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back 7 pages but I did find your previous thread gsrosser1989. I didn't have my electribe yet and I don't know if I was even a member of the forum when you posted it so you will have to forgive me for not knowing the horse was dead.

I don't think it is, for what its worth. I'm holding out for an update that will enable this. Don't be such a negative Nancy!
chris1a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Korg, get on their Twitter and FB, show them that you want the E2 to have render performance to a wav file option. I've told em on Twitter, but I'm only one person. Also, the loop issue is an easy fix for Korg, having it as an option (since it would require the E2 to do two passes and some people might not want that).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: