Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos vs Korg Kronos 2 A/B comparison and my thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos vs Korg Kronos 2 A/B comparison and my thoughts Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/sNegsMdqHUg

I was asked in another thread to do something like this, so here you go. Pardon my playing - I've been not practicing as much as I should have, and have moreso been focusing on programming. I really should get back to my exercises but I LOVE programming and experimenting on this thing.

Anyway, if there is anything you'd like to see, please let me know. I'd be happy to offer videos or sound clips that help people hear/understand the differences between the Kronos and Kronos 2.
Ottawa58

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Outstanding Reply with quote

What a well thought out and excellent comparison. Watched the whole thing. Well done!

And you play really well. You are too modest. Not many would try MS movement 3 at the end. I'm light years from that, so I appreciate difficulty level.

Did you have any key noise set for the pianos? The keys seemed to have a bit more 'clunk' than for synth based combi's.

Thanks for doing it. This is of real value to someone purchasing first time (like me), or to someone upgrading.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding Reply with quote

Ottawa58 wrote:
What a well thought out and excellent comparison. Watched the whole thing. Well done!

And you play really well. You are too modest. Not many would try MS movement 3 at the end. I'm light years from that, so I appreciate difficulty level.

Did you have any key noise set for the pianos? The keys seemed to have a bit more 'clunk' than for synth based combi's.

Thanks for doing it. This is of real value to someone purchasing first time (like me), or to someone upgrading.

You're incredibly flattering. I appreciate it!

The key noise is way more apparent for the Berlin than it is for the German piano, but again this is a totally customizable option. There's also a LOT of pedal noise with the Berlin that I had to turn down -5db because it was almost interfering with the sound. I know real pianos have it but not nearly as bad as it was depicted with the sound.

I'm happy to help! I love creating content and putting it out there, and knowing someone is able to use it to help in any way is awesome to me.
Ottawa58

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Pedal and key noise Reply with quote

When I use Ravenscroft 275 from Vi Labs as my piano, it's good, but I also have to drop the pedal noise down about 5 Db. Otherwise it's too apparent. Sounds similar.

Thanks again!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good video. I'm with you on the Berlin Grand. I downloaded the demo with full intentions of buying it until I played it. There are notes right in the middle of the keyboard that don't sound right, or as good as the German Grand.

Thanks for posting,

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Good video. I'm with you on the Berlin Grand. I downloaded the demo with full intentions of buying it until I played it. There are notes right in the middle of the keyboard that don't sound right, or as good as the German Grand.

Thanks for posting,

Geo

Thanks for your confirmation. I thought something was "off" but maybe people LIKE that. I'm simply not one of them.

That said, I really feel as though there was something not right and having someone else verify it for me only helps reinforce that my ears aren't lying to me Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the video. Great job on it and thanks for making it. I agree with the others, you're a very good player.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative video. Thanks.
Very Happy
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with your critique of the Berlin grand.
And I added my thoughts, which were that the Berlin grand is just to sterile sounding to me. I guess its a personal preference thing, but I find other pianos work better for me. The one I like most at this time is the Rudess version of the Japanse Grand, which I have tweaked a bit to my liking, and it cuts thru the mix better in the 9-piece band I play in.
sizzlemann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched your comparison video and I agree with you on some of the freebies sounding better than the KRS7 sounds. I use Sweet Dreams (BurningBusches patch) now at gigs and people are floored when we do it. I'd love to see and hear other comparisons of the free vs. KRS7 sounds.
Thanks!
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to wish Happy Easter, to all people on forum. Second, I want to thanks to enigmahack for his great effort, to made this clip, which close to us, little bit, sounds of Kronos 2 and Kronos, side by side. I have to say too, that I like much more German Grand than Berlin Grand. German Grand on Kronos sounds to me more real piano like (much more wet and much more clear). I like more a dry sounds, my favorite is Japanese dry sound of acoustic piano, but I am not satisfied with Berlin Grand. Combi in 18:07 on Kronos 2 sounds great. Combi in 19:30 sounds better in Kronos 2. And definitely Sweet dreams sound better for me on Kronos.
Thanks again enigmahack.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK
DanielD71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Enigmahack for your comparaison review !

Regards,

Dan
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video.

Couple of things...the Asian guy playing the songs incorrectly is Katsunori Ujiie. He's playing those songs incorrectly on purpose so youtube doesn't pull the video for copyright infringement. That's the same reason the official version of the synth sounds (KRS07) is playing wrong notes. It was done on purpose to avoid providing copyrighted material in a commercial release.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
Great video.

Couple of things...the Asian guy playing the songs incorrectly is Katsunori Ujiie. He's playing those songs incorrectly on purpose so youtube doesn't pull the video for copyright infringement. That's the same reason the official version of the synth sounds (KRS07) is playing wrong notes. It was done on purpose to avoid providing copyrighted material in a commercial release.

Ahh, Katsunori Ujiie. Yeah, he's really good and it's obvious, which made me wonder why he was playing the songs wrong haha

I think the logic isn't right though, since lots of people do covers and post them on Youtube.

As far as the commercial release, I have to disagree with your point about copyright. If what you're saying is true, why are some correct and some not? If they were that worried, every time there's a sequence of notes they would have to have a certain number of wrong/right notes. It's inconsistent where some are totally bang-on accurate, and there's a just a couple that are slightly off which leads me more to believe it's just lack of attention to detail, not a copyright problem.
solo40

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video,
Thanks for this comparison,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: