Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg electribe2 MIDI Clock jitter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Korg electribe2 MIDI Clock jitter Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just FWIW, I just got myself a MidiGAL, which is a nifty little DIY unit that does a lot of things MIDI wise, beyond being able to run Mutable Instruments MIDIPal firmware.

I ran the MidiGAL MIDI clock stability test with the electribe2 (1.03).

On the new tribe, according to the MidiGAL, the MIDI Clock accuracy is good but stability (aka jitter) is quite bad :
1.1%@60BPM
1.8%@120BPM (that's almost + or - 2 BPM over 4 bars)
2.4%@180BPM

https://imgur.com/a/cTjER

Neither the swing parameter nor the fact that a pattern is running or not has an influence on this.

On the other hand, the e2 syncs to the MidiGAL precise MIDI clock very well.

For those interested, there's this thread at Mutable Instruments where people post their findings with other units.

It seems the Elektron A4 and Rytm are not that accurate either, so nothing to be jealous of here.
Let's hope someone will check the Octatrack and see how it compares to Innerclocks Litmus test.

Very Happy

Last edited by Poumtschak on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ElectribeNut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very handy, both the midiGal and the jitter rate. Hopefully someone else can verify your information.
Kammikdef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the informative posts.
ghostly606

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had noticed clock jitter when syncing my Micron's delay. Sounded horrid and when troubleshooting I noticed that the BPM on the Micron was jumping around from between 19.7 and 20.3. Ended up just changing the delay to fixed rate.

Alesis Micron - Patch a Day
MicroKorg - Patch a Week
MS-20 - Patch a Week
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, while playing with MidiClk 0.96 and my Korg Electribe 2, I just stumbled on something odd:

Usually, the Korg MIDI clock jitters quite a lot (1.8%@120PM), but stability at 100BPM is 0.011-0.015%!

Same goes @25, 50 and 125BPM, where stability is near 0.01%, but not beyond, oddly enough. @150BPM, accuracy is 150.1 with a 2.8% jitter.

So there seems to be a sweet spot at these settings, since increasing or decreasing the BPM by 0.1 steps introduces jitter again.

Just checked with my only hardware gear available at the moment, an Eventide Space pedal: at 100BPM, its clock jitters about 0.180%
I also swapped MIDI cables to be sure.
So this is not a MidiGAL bug to me.

There's something in the electribe 2 way of generating MIDI clock that makes it supertight @25, 50, 100 and 125 BPM only.

Confused
MichalHo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Poumtschak. Interesting info.

I do not hear any jitter or lag when midi clock slaving my unit to the Octatrack.
The electribe behaves very nicely, while one of my sets varies tempo in a range from 83bpm to 140bpm.
So far it has been one of the most reliable OT-slaves, compared to ESX, tr-8, and even to the rytm.
I get noticeable lag, which can be compensated for, as soon as i slave the e2mps to ableton, or even an external midiclock, such as ERM. (Which was unexpected)

Last edited by MichalHo on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI clock pulses 24 times per quarter note.

So a BPM of 100 give you 2400 pulses in a minute. (That's 60 clock pulses per second.)

Now if you were running at 99 BPM, you'd get 39.6 clock pulses in a second.

I think these stable sweet spots correspond to evenly divisible tempos/pulses.

But even at those sweet spots, MIDI clock will have some play up and down. Everything suffers from this. The best gear uses more advanced smoothing and averaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3ERRnpFes
Poumtschak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the maths. Wink

Ted3000 wrote:
But even at those sweet spots, MIDI clock will have some play up and down. Everything suffers from this. The best gear uses more advanced smoothing and averaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3ERRnpFes

Funny you mention http://thespectacularsyncengine.com since when asked if its MIDI clock smoothing technique was remotely connected to it, here's Pete K. answer :

Quote:
Not really, Michael tries to solve an unsolvable problem of running real time tasks on non real time operating system. The timestamp markers he mentions help to improve the situation but are not exactly useful in the situation when the message with the timestamp is received after time that timestamp specifies it should be processed. MidiClk does not have to deal with all this mess since it runs directly on bare bone hardware with no operating system involved. It just measures incoming MIDI clock frequency with a decent precision, rounds it up to nearest integer BPM number, than generates super stable MIDI clock at this BPM.

MidiClk’s clock stability and accuracy is achieved by using a hardware timer driven by quartz stabilized clock source which generates the only non maskable interrupt on the device, so there is nothing to delay it. This interrupt directly feeds UART which spits out MIDI clock events. This results in stability which is three to four orders of magnitude better than typical MIDI device out there.

Anyways, not that I'm complaining about the e2.
It still sounds ok to me timing wise.

I'm gonna try the MidiGAL w/MidiArp firmware for some fun.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: