Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step sequencer tips/tricks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Automageddon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Step sequencer tips/tricks Reply with quote

Is it me or stepsequencing on the EMX2 is really "convoluted"?

One has to either enter sequencer mode (or go to step edit then enter C4 notes where needed, then enter step edit note and per each note turn the main knob or shift-turn it to enter, note, length and velocity.

If it's a tie note, you also need to enter tie and note value for the following note, rinse and repeat.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I wish I could just turn the step on, then enter keyboard mode to edit note pitch.

Step edit could have 1/16, 1/8 etc values so to make it all quicker...
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Step sequencer tips/tricks Reply with quote

Automageddon wrote:
Is it me or stepsequencing on the EMX2 is really "convoluted"?

One has to either enter sequencer mode (or go to step edit then enter C4 notes where needed, then enter step edit note and per each note turn the main knob or shift-turn it to enter, note, length and velocity.

If it's a tie note, you also need to enter tie and note value for the following note, rinse and repeat.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

I wish I could just turn the step on, then enter keyboard mode to edit note pitch.

Step edit could have 1/16, 1/8 etc values so to make it all quicker...

You're not missing anything. I think the step sequencer was a lot more intuitive on the EMX/ESX. The note length (16th, 8th, etc) was way better than entering a number.

Who needs all those arbitrary numerical slices of note length? They're sloppy when recording live, too much to scoll through in step edit mode. A bunch of not-quite-16th notes. Maybe someone in development thought having to work in traditional note divisions was limiting?

And having to enter 4 tied notes to make a single quarter-note is a lot more work than choosing a real quarter note for a step. And I liked that overlapping values created the tie.

But after months of using the e2, I'm used to it. If it never changes, I'll just shrug and keep making music. But the old electribe sequencing was the best thing it had going.

Design Commandment: If you're going to change something, make sure you're improving it.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strangeness can be used in creative ways though. Record a part of sustained notes with the pads. Enter sequence mode and switch off some steps for a gated feel. Enter step edit mode and transpose some steps up/down an octave (press shift and turn the parameter knob one click either way). It's a little bit random but you can get some nice parts in this way.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Automageddon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
It's strangeness can be used in creative ways though. Record a part of sustained notes with the pads. Enter sequence mode and switch off some steps for a gated feel. Enter step edit mode and transpose some steps up/down an octave (press shift and turn the parameter knob one click either way). It's a little bit random but you can get some nice parts in this way.

I tired that last night on a bass line, it sort of worked, still a pain to edit though.

One of my trick, not much just a workflow suggestion, is to keep the menu on "clear sequence" while recording live, this way you're only one button press away from rerecording your performance.
michi_mak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for hijacking, but how quickly can one alter velocities?
i already learned that this has to be done in the step editor. but how do i enter the step editor (i can't find a dedicated button on the various pictures)?

maybe let me rephrase this: can i enter the step editor and STAY in it while selecting and altering different steps?

just to be precise: i want to program ghost notes as quick as possible, so i want to set steps and adjust the velocity in one go.
bladuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michi_mak wrote:
just to be precise: i want to program ghost notes as quick as possible, so i want to set steps and adjust the velocity in one go.

- The fastest way for me is to turn on velocity sensitivity on the track where I need the ghost notes. Then I turn on recording and try hit the pad very gently to get the ghosts on track.
- The sequencer mode gets you fixed velocity, unless I miss something. Any trick to enter different than 96 by using sequencer mode ?
- I've tried adding notes in the part edit mode (to get to this mode us SHIFT+pad12 if you have v 1.03 or higher) but adding new notes is NIGHTMARE! .. I feel like in 19 century using the part edit mode!!!

Again in other thread I suggested enhancements/fixes for the part edit mode, hopefully korg sometimes look this forum
michi_mak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
michi_mak wrote:

- The fastest way for me is to turn on velocity sensitivity on the track where I need the ghost notes. Then I turn on recording and try hit the pad very gently to get the ghosts on track.
- The sequencer mode gets you fixed velocity, unless I miss something. Any trick to enter different than 96 by using sequencer mode ?
- I've tried adding notes in the part edit mode (to get to this mode us SHIFT+pad12 if you have v 1.03 or higher) but adding new notes is NIGHTMARE! .. I feel like in 19 century using the part edit mode!!!

Again in other thread I suggested enhancements/fixes for the part edit mode, hopefully korg sometimes look this forum

what do you mean by "turn on velocity sensivity"?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can turn on/off velocity for each part.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by default it's off.
michi_mak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still thinking about getting one (and still investigating):
can i switch to step edit mode (shift + pad12) while playing back a pattern?
where/how do i adjust the velocity after choosinga step via the trigge pads?
thanks for your patience, but adding ghost notes in the quickest possible way is crucial for me!
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michi_mak, I do understand the ghost notes needs, they bring life to the mechanical sequences. I loved the Boss DR-880 drum machine that had built in ghost notes ...so useful.

To your questions:
The velocity and the note length can be tuned for each of 16 steps (64 if you have 4 bars) in the part edit mode If you use more than one note per step you cannot edit individual velocities for each note in the step.

I'm not front of the E2 but I believe you can put the E2 to the part edit mode while playing, the cool thing is that you can change tracks to edit without leaving the edit mode using "<Part>" keys
michi_mak

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bladuck: that's good to hear! at some other places people didn't get my need for fast ghost note programming. will have to get my hands on one next week...
thanks
sharps030

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also turn velocity on for playing the pads too, and then record that. You don't have to do it in the step edit menu.

You edit the step sequencer through the 'step edit' menu. Then, select steps with the pads and bar number buttons. Use the <and> keys, head over to the right until the second-to-last page. Past the notes. You can leave it on the velocity page then select steps with the pads and change it for a bunch of steps quickly.
michi_mak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharps030 wrote:
You can also turn velocity on for playing the pads too, and then record that. You don't have to do it in the step edit menu.

You edit the step sequencer through the 'step edit' menu. Then, select steps with the pads and bar number buttons. Use the <and> keys, head over to the right until the second-to-last page. Past the notes. You can leave it on the velocity page then select steps with the pads and change it for a bunch of steps quickly.

that is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear! thanks a lot for double confirmation :tu:
Steinberger

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me to thinking about Step Jump mode recording and it might solve some problems that some people are trying to solve with step edit. It's also pretty fun.

electribe2 Step Jump mode Motion Recording
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97758

This also works with external MIDI controllers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: