Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESX vs New Electribe Sampler - Pro's/Con's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DimensionX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: ESX vs New Electribe Sampler - Pro's/Con's Reply with quote

I've read theres a lot of bad about the new but also good, Im wondering if someone with the experience with the old ESX vs the new electribe sampler can write the pro's and con's of each device. Here are mine so far from my understanding of other peoples experience:

New electribe sampler:

Pro's: Runs off of 6 AA batteries, Integrates with Ableton (which I use)

Con's: Poor FX (I've read a lot about them being rather half ass at doing what their supposed to). 50 buttons (excluding power button)/18 knobs. Poor X/Y (read about it being a "gimmick"). Free from having to deal with valves

Old ESX electribe:

Pro's: Better FX, 70 Buttons/17 knobs/1 fader

Con's: Has to be plugged in

My questions:

What is the model called of the new electribe sampler? (ESX is the old one)
How do switching patterns compare from each?
Are you locked within the timing of sequences/Able to play realtime off time?
When you play sounds into the electribes is there a countdown/wait time similar to pattern and fx?
Can you play 32nd notes?
Can you turn the countdown off all for FX and switching patterns?
How does the workflow compare between the EXS/New electribe sampler?

I like to do off time stuff (NO theory knowledge) but perhaps being forced within a set sequence would give me a good sense of timing...
blackmental

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested by the replies too, as I'm heading to buy an ESX.

The new electribe series doesn't seems to be a real improvement and especially the sampler, or am I mistaken?
colulizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the new sampler is even released yet, so any talk of what the performance is like is actually just guess work.
Maybe educated guesses based on the Electribe workstation/ synth. But it's still a guess.
As far as I know, no one on this forum has played with a device yet.

So I wouldn't make any purchasing decision based on a rumour off the internet.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah with threads like this...best to just wait until the review or more info comes out.
bladuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very fishy... Nick Batt from sonic state would've at least stopped by korg both at Messe 2015 and give us 4-5 minutes of footage. I suppose somebody from sonicstate recorded it. But sonic might have asked one of his "key/fact" questions about ESX2 while recording the video and then Korg asked him to wait for a production unit to review in Nick's sonicstate lab. ...really just speculating here.
Also other big shops failed to bring us this "exciting" news about that the ESX2 is live and kicking on the Messe2015.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladuck wrote:
This is very fishy... Nick Batt from sonic state would've at least stopped by korg both at Messe 2015 and give us 4-5 minutes of footage. I suppose somebody from sonicstate recorded it. But sonic might have asked one of his "key/fact" questions about ESX2 while recording the video and then Korg asked him to wait for a production unit to review in Nick's sonicstate lab. ...really just speculating here.
Also other big shops failed to bring us this "exciting" news about that the ESX2 is live and kicking on the Messe2015.

I don't think Sonicstate Nick is remotely interested in Electribes to be honest.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither, that seems more like something Gaz would cover these days.
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the sampler is basically the e2 with samples instead of PCM, there's no real mystery. No mystery means far less questions. Many electribe fans have already preordered - there's no news to break for a site like Sonic State.

Korg announced it last year and have had the product page up for 6 months. It's old news. We know how the effects will sound, how the sequencer will work, etc.

The electribe 2's rollout was muted by instant bitching over the bars, song mode, and the gap - (despite the gap being fixed in 2014). This plus delays in production and shipping seem to have dampened the anticipation.

There was a fully functioning unit at Musikmesse and the only videos that came out were a couple of unsupervised random-button-poking factory patterns that sounded terrible, both in terms of video sound and lame presets.

There's far more enthusiasm for the Volca Sampler - which is way more toylike with a fraction of the specs. Go figure. es2 has no "song" mode, and that's a dealbreaker for the internet? Volca can't even directly sample. But that's a must-have.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason people feel that way is that at the Volca Sample, at it's current price point, feels like it's worth the money for the majority of people who own it. It sounds great, is portable, can do a lot for what it is and is pretty much bug-free. It was never advertised as a sampler, but Korg did ultimately provide a very workable means of getting samples onto the device.

The new Electribe, at it's current price point, does not feel like it's worth the money. It is has a variety of bugs, some of which are total deal breakers (like the bug that keeps causing crashes for some people). Sure, it has higher audio fidelity than the old EMX but feature-wise it is worse off. They scaled back some important compositional tools (like having 4 bars instead of Cool and again, at it's current price point this feels like a bad deal. I want to believe that something that's 3 times the price of a Volca will give me 3 times as much value in terms of quality and workflow but this isn't the case here.

In my opinion the Volca Sample is the true descendant of the ESX. The workflow matches up pretty closely. I wish they'd just make a Volca Sample Plus. Add a few more features and the ability to sample on the device and it will sell like hotcakes. The immediacy of the workflow on the Sample makes these new Electribes feel like a slog.
bladuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
There's far more enthusiasm for the Volca Sampler - which is way more toylike with a fraction of the specs. Go figure. es2 has no "song" mode, and that's a dealbreaker for the internet? Volca can't even directly sample. But that's a must-have.

Great insight T3K... thank you I will try to take it to the next level, buckle your seat belts and get into Korg's product strategy seat. :
Let's throw a few under or around $200 products and see what sticks this is korg in 2009/10. What ever sticks we'd take to the next level. This movement started with kaossilatorX. Then there was monotribex and volcaX..
... The volca is continuation of monotribe. The monotribe is continuation of kaossX mini series.. am I correct ? for $200 per unit they need to cut corners somewhere.

Cutting corners applies to the new electribes too. The currency is not as strong as it was 2-3 years back and there are fictitious price points in our heads. If you call it Electribe and price is around $600 you'd move only 2/3 of the units. Our fictitious number for any EMXx is around $499.

But new electribes are not supposed to be "testing the water" products but continuation of few successful generations of a product.
So there was a risky choice that korg didn't take. they shouldn't name this electribe. If they'd named it differently, Half of the negative shite wouldn't hit the phan. On the flip the sales wouldn't be so strong if they didn't use the name electribe see this:

E2 approximately 3000 units sold @ $350 = $1,050,000 for korg ($350 since shops need to breathe too)

Volca Sample approximately 3000 units @ $120 = $360,000 for korg (and this is my wild guess)

if you still here and reading then the E2 sampler is not here for a good jump start. And lot of this explains why we don't have a new update bug fixes for E2 (I really think that JD-XI is MUCH less buggy)
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your points. My headscratching is about this:

The internet kids say the e2/es2 are not real electribes, and they can't be used live or can't make real music or something because of a few "dealbreakers" - a short list of minor quibbles, NONE of which are about the sound, synth engine, drums, etc.

The internet then points to devices that are factually less advanced or more toylike than the new electribes, and holds them up as superior tools. (Previous electribes, volca series, iPad apps, etc.)

The e2 has more effects, more parts, more synthesis, more filters, better sound, an X/Y surface. Performance-wise and sound quality-wise, they blow the volcas and EMX out of the water. It's not even close - compare specs.

If 8 bars is your magical comfort zone, then stick with the EMX/ESX. You'll have your precious 8 bars of lower quality sound, a white noise background hiss, a steppy filter, and reverb that sounds like a hot wind whipping through a metal trash can.

The food isn't good, but the portions are huge!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to be devil's advocate, the volcas, kaossilators, etc....I hate to hear them being called "toys" but yes theyre way less advanced and certainly more limited than say the e2/es2. But sometimes ppl like the challenge of limitations, for one. And then, of course, its not the gear itself but rather what you make with it. A lot of this stuff is about half or a 1/3 the price of the new electribes. It all boils down to inspiration, really. If the gear inspires you, you'll figure out a way to overcome its inherent limitations or create new usages. Of course, the same holds with the new electribes, too.

Also, one more thing to add, the volcas et al feel like "complete" and closed systems. The e2 is has a wide expanse of features and functionality. I don't think anyone has really gotten a grasp of EVERY new feature and thereby new tricks and techniques. There's just a lot to explore and discover here
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will mean nothing to non-UK people under the age of 40 but all this reminds me of the classic mid/late 70's school playground debate - which is better, the Raleigh Chopper or the Raleigh Grifter? It used to end in fisticuffs...

Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
This will mean nothing to non-UK people under the age of 40 but all this reminds me of the classic mid/late 70's school playground debate - which is better, the Raleigh Chopper or the Raleigh Grifter? It used to end in fisticuffs...

Haha, I had to Google the reference but I'm well familiar with the dynamic.

I would have been Chopper all the way although in 1980 I was a Team Murray man - BMX dirt bike style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olTFTj4B04g&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-v2l_Ylo1M&spfreload=10
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
apapdop wrote:

Haha, I had to Google the reference but I'm well familiar with the dynamic.

I would have been Chopper all the way although in 1980 I was a Team Murray man - BMX dirt bike style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olTFTj4B04g&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-v2l_Ylo1M&spfreload=10

Love them early BMX's, very evocative advert that. Sigh.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: