Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Sample problemS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pg_TrAxX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Volca Sample problemS Reply with quote

Hi guys/girls/in betweens,

Here's my issue. I can't transfer samples, i can't update. actually, i can't do anything. (i tried at various volumes)
It happened after i deleted the original samples and that didn't go by itself but with alot of hassle!
Deleting shouldn't be a problem i think? yet it was.
I deleted them with the Caustic editor on Windows 7 (64bit). It worked... half! Every few samples i got the "Err dcod" (or something) and crashed my Sample so had to cancel in the software and press Function to reset and try further from there. All good and well i thought if i can keep this up for 99 samples... which i did. Took me half an hour but i finally managed to clear those samples!
And now... I can't do anything anymore! Mad
When i try to transfer i don't see anything on the unit screen. Only in the software i see the load bar going up.... So i wait... wait... wait... and when it's done. I turn the Sample knob and the screen shows me "S.---".
Confused huh?
I googled ALOT and couldn't find a thing.
Tried like 10 times now for restoring the Factory Samples (because "maybe" my wav samples are too high Hz or something) BUT without succes. Same with the update...
After explaining this to the company i have it from, they don't want it back because they think "i broke it" and think it's abnormal that i deleted the original samples from it. Shocked WTF?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
col

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Caustic on 64bit windows and it works fine.

I suggest that you do a little bit more prep on your samples before uploading. I use Audacity and change the sample rate to 31250hz and then export. This way Caustic doesn't have to resample for you.

Also, it is possible to have the volume to high on transfer, it clips and errors. The trick is to have a clean 31250hz sample played through your output as loud as you can get it without clipping.

Another tip, only delete the sample that you want to erase instead of all of them, that way you won't be so disappointed if you have problems uploading. Surprised
Pg_TrAxX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
I am using Caustic on 64bit windows and it works fine. Surprised

Thanks,
Also Windows 7? and laptop or desktop?
And i tried at many different volumes (from 100 going down slowly to 10) and also the Factory Samples wont load.
While transfering, i don't see anything on the screen from the V Sample. It should atleast give some letters.
col

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a laptop with 8.1, which is even worse! Smile

I think the best thing to do would be to load the factory samples using a different audio player. Not a phone though, they have bandpassed outputs!

Do you have an mp3 player or something around that will play a wav?
Pg_TrAxX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
Do you have an mp3 player or something around that will play a wav?

Windows Media Player, iTunes
Tried with both because the update also must be done like that. no luck Sad
col

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean another piece of hardware. Your Volca Sample obviously doesn't like your computer. Actually, if you are not getting any blinking from the display during transfer, chances are that you have fried the input.

It's quite surprising that Korg choose this method of data transfer in this day-an-age, even the cheapest mp3 player has a more reliable USB port/connection. At least with USB the data transport is standardized. The problem with using audio as the transport is you never know the quality of the output device signal. Something that was addressed with computers back in the 80's.
Pg_TrAxX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
No, I mean another piece of hardware. Your Volca Sample obviously doesn't like your computer. Actually, if you are not getting any blinking from the display during transfer, chances are that you have fried the input.

It's quite surprising that Korg choose this method of data transfer in this day-an-age, even the cheapest mp3 player has a more reliable USB port/connection. At least with USB the data transport is standardized. The problem with using audio as the transport is you never know the quality of the output device signal. Something that was addressed with computers back in the 80's.

I think it works!
With my Vista desktop (that i hardly use)! lol
it's the first time i see the knob lights go from left to right and onscreen letters and the "keys" lights go up slowly!!! woohooo xD
I will take the lower sampling rate you mentioned into consideration and try that out with Audacity and will let you know if that worked Wink
Can't thank you enough! Very Happy
col

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad to of helped Very Happy

Once you get it back to factory default, load your custom samples in one-by-one, that way you can work on them until they work and know whats going on.
Pg_TrAxX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

col wrote:
Excellent! Glad to of helped Very Happy

Once you get it back to factory default, load your custom samples in one-by-one, that way you can work on them until they work and know whats going on.

Thanks man, i will!
just updated it too! sweet!
V. Sample hates my laptop Rolling Eyes weird shizzles

And as you said before... the sync cable is not really a good thing for it :/
i actually never liked the sync cable at all on either of the Volca's but in the end, The sound and playability makes you forget all that easily Smile
Fact, in a hardware chain you have to put one of the Volca's last in the chain but even then another Volca with Sync cable after that does not work Sad So, only one Volca at a time... bummer that.
anyway,... thanks again Wink cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: