Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 Gate Arp function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Electribe 2 Gate Arp function Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'd like information on the electribe 2 Gate Arp function.

When GATE ARP function only is active, and KEYBOARD is active, I have to hold down the trigger pad of the selected note while using the touch pad to play with rythm.
Is it normal ? (on the EMX, I just need to select one note, and don't have to hold it down to use the touch pad).

But sometimes, when playing, a trigger pad is somehow activated, and then I can play the touch pad without holding the trigger pad down (Which is a lot better cause my right hand is free
to use other parameters).

Could you please tell me if this is normal behaviour, or if there is a trick/tip to "activate" the trigger pad of the note I want to use ?

Thank you for your answer.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gate arp button lit - works only in conjunction with keyboard, trigger or chord mode, played via pads and Kaoss pad
Touch scale button lit - plays whatever part is selected, via Kaoss pad
Both lit - plays a gate arp of whatever part is selected, via the Kaoss pad allowing you to tweak parameters with your other hand.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
yans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Electribe 2 Gate Arp function Reply with quote

"works only in conjunction with keyboard"

thank you, so there must must be some kind of bug then, because I sometimes manage to "lock" a trigger pad (it's lit), and I can use the touch pad without using the keyboard.
Too bad I can't figure out how this happen.

I was wondering if others have a similar behaviour.
bladuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I managed to get the E2 to a state where a pad get "stuck". This happened numerous times to me. This is definitely a bug. I can use the second hand for other knobs then. But I think it only happens in keyboard mode. Korg could add it to their todo list. To engage this useful function one could use holding the keyboard button and press a Pad to active this USEFUL hold note function
Philternaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've found (On OS 1.0.3). Sorry, it's kind of long --

To 'latch' the gate arp to trigger a single note as per another thread on these forums:

- Kaoss/XY pad is in Gate Arp mode only
- Keyboard pads are in trigger, keyboard, or chord mode

1. Trigger note and hold down the pad.
2. Press & release the Kaoss/XY pad
3. Release note

Now the next time you press the Kaoss pad it will retrigger that note using the gate arp, without needing to trigger the note on the keyboard pads. It's only that note though. Useful in chord modes and to free up a hand for tweaking knobs.

Quite fun when you want to roll a particular note, chord stab, or one-shot while keeping a hand free for the knobs. If you switch pad mode then the 'latch' is lost. Which leads me to the next thing I've seen:

Here's a reproducible bug where the note can get stuck 'on':

- Kaoss pad is in Gate Arp mode only

1. Trigger the 'latched' arp pad with the steps above.
2. Press and hold on the Kaoss pad to trigger the gate arp
3. Now switch to another pad mode (mute, trigger, sequencer, keyboard, chord, etc)
4. Release the Kaoss pad
5. Result: The note gets stuck 'on'

More accurately, the gate arp is inverted and now acts like a mute: You can now use the Kaoss pad to trigger silence (note-off?) rather than triggering the note.

I've found that to clear the note I have to trigger the exact same note; this can get tricky in stuck chords, but the corollary you can trigger a chord, get it stuck on, and then in keyboard mode you can individually deselect the played notes (or switch through the chord sets from shift+chord).

Part Mute won't mute or stop the stuck note because the part isn't actually playing a recorded pattern. That note has to get retriggered to stop it. There might be another way, I just haven't found it yet.

If it were less fiddly to get unstuck I'd use this more as a neat creative trick. I haven't tried sending a panic CC from another MIDI controller, but that seems rather risky for a live set.
yans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 Gate Arp function Reply with quote

Thank you very much !

I'll try it out, and the silence triggering as well.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, both of those seem to work and are repeatable.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
stlkr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still... when I wanted to do ascending arp I had to use Ableton or mkXL
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philternaut wrote:
Here's what I've found (On OS 1.0.3). Sorry, it's kind of long --

To 'latch' the gate arp to trigger a single note as per another thread on these forums:

- Kaoss/XY pad is in Gate Arp mode only

1. Trigger note and hold down the pad.
2. Press & release the Kaoss/XY pad
3. Release note

Now the next time you press the Kaoss pad it will retrigger that note using the gate arp, without needing to trigger the note on the keyboard pads. It's only that note though. Useful in chord modes and to free up a hand for tweaking knobs.

Quite fun when you want to roll a particular note, chord stab, or one-shot while keeping a hand free for the knobs. If you switch pad mode then the 'latch' is lost. Which leads me to the next thing I've seen:

Here's a reproducible bug where the note can get stuck 'on':

- Kaoss pad is in Gate Arp mode only

1. Trigger the 'latched' arp pad with the steps above.
2. Press and hold on the Kaoss pad to trigger the gate arp
3. Now switch to another pad mode (mute, trigger, sequencer, keyboard, chord, etc)
4. Release the Kaoss pad
5. Result: The note gets stuck 'on'

More accurately, the gate arp is inverted and now acts like a mute: You can now use the Kaoss pad to trigger silence (note-off?) rather than triggering the note.

I've found that to clear the note I have to trigger the exact same note; this can get tricky in stuck chords, but the corollary you can trigger a chord, get it stuck on, and then in keyboard mode you can individually deselect the played notes (or switch through the chord sets from shift+chord).

Part Mute won't mute or stop the stuck note because the part isn't actually playing a recorded pattern. That note has to get retriggered to stop it. There might be another way, I just haven't found it yet.

If it were less fiddly to get unstuck I'd use this more as a neat creative trick. I haven't tried sending a panic CC from another MIDI controller, but that seems rather risky for a live set.

This tip above is the best tip I have seen in along time. It seemed like a bug before, but now that we can understand how we get into the "stuck mode" accidentally now we understand better what's going on. It's a neat little hold function.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Philternaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to hear it's useful info. I also saw it got posted to the "KORG ELECTRIBE 2 & Sampler" Facebook group by Sumako Artist -- thank you & hope it helps those folk too!

Quick little request: Could Sumako (or someone else who is in the group) post a comment about how to get the stuck notes unstuck in response to Robin D's comment, please? It's still a weird behavior but they might benefit from knowing they only have to retrigger that note via the keyboard/trigger pads to stop it rather than halting the sequence entirely.

Quote:
I've found that to clear the note I have to trigger the exact same note; this can get tricky in stuck chords, but the corollary is you can trigger a chord, get it stuck on, and then in keyboard mode you can individually deselect the played notes (or switch through the chord sets from shift+chord).

Odd request, I know -- I just don't really post or use Facebook at all and would prefer to keep it that way Smile
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philternaut wrote:
Happy to hear it's useful info. I also saw it got posted to the "KORG ELECTRIBE 2 & Sampler" Facebook group by Sumako Artist -- thank you & hope it helps those folk too!

Quick little request: Could Sumako (or someone else who is in the group) post a comment about how to get the stuck notes unstuck in response to Robin D's comment, please? It's still a weird behavior but they might benefit from knowing they only have to retrigger that note via the keyboard/trigger pads to stop it rather than halting the sequence entirely.

Quote:
I've found that to clear the note I have to trigger the exact same note; this can get tricky in stuck chords, but the corollary is you can trigger a chord, get it stuck on, and then in keyboard mode you can individually deselect the played notes (or switch through the chord sets from shift+chord).

Odd request, I know -- I just don't really post or use Facebook at all and would prefer to keep it that way Smile

Added!
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
Philternaut

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, SMK!

Here's another trick I just came across by accident while also watching VJ Frank K's latest video on the arp modes (e2 vs EMX, check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUhYEGCEv0I): It's a way to use 2 parts at the same time by using this latched arp notes tricks on one and tweaking the knobs on another.

... Yeah, I'm long-winded. Bear with me Smile

1. On one part, trigger the 'latched' gate arp as above.
2. Use the 'Part <' and 'Part >' buttons to switch to another part that's currently playing notes. It doesn't matter if you're touching the kaoss pad when you switch parts like this
3. The kaoss pad's gate arp will still trigger the original part, and the knobs will now affect the current part.

As long as you don't use the trigger pads, it seems to be a stable setup on my end (OS 1.0.3). I haven't tried using the menus/data encoder but everything else including the oscillator change encoder will work as expected on the current part.

It's been especially useful for me when I want to either do a percussion roll & tweak a bass/lead/pad part's filter at the same time, or just have two notes doing 'unprogrammed' things at the same time without an external MIDI controller.

And one more, but one I'm finding really tricky to use well:

If the Amp EG is on a short decay for the part you're triggering from the Kaoss pad, you can 'sort of' get away with playing notes on two parts at once -- it's still the same stuck notes/inverted gate problem but usable:

1. Trigger the 'latched' gate arp on a part with a fast delay/release
2. Switch to another part with 'Part <' or 'Part >'
3. And also trigger the 'stuck notes' state by holding down the kaoss pad AND pressing another pad mode (keyboard, chord, mute, etc).
4. With a short enough decay on the first part, you can get away with playing the second part on the keyboard and chord modes, although it also plays from the arp mode like normal: If your note is held down it WILL retrigger from the arp. This sort of thing seems to work best with quick stabs/one-shots or with single hits with long decays. On timing, you also have to dodge the arp pattern - there's some timing where the pad will fail to trigger (not the typical voice-stealing issue), but hey -- with a good pad-drumming roll it can sound neat and glitchy too.

The 'Classic Template' factory pattern is a handy demo pattern. Latch Part 1 and have fun.

... Of course, when the next (final?) OS update drops we'll have to see if any of these tricks still work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: