Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Controller Kybd Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Midi Controller Kybd Recommendations Reply with quote

I'm looking to build a synth system around my new MS20 desktop running through several multi-effects rack processors to mangle the sound (TC Fireworx, TC-M350, Looperlative LP-1).

I'm looking for recommendations on the best MIDI Controller Kybd to run the whole thing. Here's what my requirements are:

1) At least 49 full size, synth feel/non-weighted keys with aftertouch
2) Extra widgets like sliders, buttons, rotary dials, pads, etc that I can assign midi CC#'s to
3) 5pin MIDI Out rather than USB MIDI (unless it's easy to go from a USB midi out interface to 5pin cable format...I've never tried that)

This is NOT going to be a computer based system so the ability to sync in with DAW's and the like means nothing to me. I need a controller that has the ability to send out MIDI CC#'s as flexibly as possible. So far, everything I've looked at (M-Audio & Novation) is really focused on integrating with DAW's and what I'm looking for is really the best MIDI focused/non computer based solution. Also, I have tendonitis so I need to have a very light-touch kybd...

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Steinberger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taktile 49 MIDI Controller is the grail you seek.
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinberger wrote:
Taktile 49 MIDI Controller is the grail you seek.

Very promising. Just read the manual, perfect MIDI implementation that I want; unfortunately, no aftertouch and a semi-weighted kybd so no-go Sad
Past: Moog Taurus Bass Pedals, Yamaha CP-20, DX-100, SY22, Hammond M2, Hohner D6 Clavinet, SCI Pro-One, Crumar Trilogy, Cat Octave, Roland JX-3P, D50, D20, D70, S10, AlphaJuno1, V-Synth, JD800, JP8000, C-80 Digital Harpsichord, Ensoniq Fizmo, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q, DSI PolyEvolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Crumar Trilogy
Steinberger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and others argue that the semi-weighted claim on the manufacturers specs is far from the truth. It is a synth feel and very light. If you've played a Q49 controller it is very similar. Think 80's Yamaha DX7 or Korg MS2000 and you'll get the idea.

No aftertouch but I'm also not sure how you intend to implement it on the MS-20M. There are many alternatives to it on this controller alone (mod wheel, knob, fader and kaoss pad CC assignment) that might be more tendon friendly.
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinberger wrote:
I and others argue that the semi-weighted claim on the manufacturers specs is far from the truth. It is a synth feel and very light. If you've played a Q49 controller it is very similar. Think 80's Yamaha DX7 or Korg MS2000 and you'll get the idea.

No aftertouch but I'm also not sure how you intend to implement it on the MS-20M. There are many alternatives to it on this controller alone (mod wheel, knob, fader and kaoss pad CC assignment) that might be more tendon friendly.

The aftertouch was actually so I could have the option of including my Radias as well as the MS20 & MS2000 in this system. I will admit the kaoss pad driving some CC's is very intriguing! Re: the semi-weighted keys, after some research, I agree with your assessment. I love my Motif XF7 and it's very comfortable for me...I looked it up and it's also considered to be semi-weighted so no problem there Wink
Mutiny in Jonestown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the Korg taktile 49 this morning from Sweetwater. Thanks for the recommendation Steinberger Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: