Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mistabishi: "Gap will be gone in final OS update"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharps030

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Mistabishi: "Gap will be gone in final OS update" Reply with quote

http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/34nfcb/what_exactly_is_the_gap_in_pattern_switching_on/cqwyvy3

Quote:
The gap will be gone in the final OS update. It's a long job to do but it'll get done. It's none existent on the e2 synth version. You have to really programme it in a thoughtless way to get pattern switch glitches now. People like to chat s**t about it, especially people that've never used it and bought something similar that costs twice as much. It'll all just come down to the music that gets made with it and the way people use it.

This is the same reddit user account used for this Q&A session, before the electribe release: http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/2hsvv2/james_pullens_ask_mistabishi_anything_thread/

And I believe the account was verified by the /r/synthesizers mods.

So we're getting an OS update. But it'll be the final one? and should improve the gap issue... possibly just for the sampler version based on the wording?
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There.... Is..... No.... Gap. Any notes that are still sounding when patterns change are cut off abruptly because the entire synth engine resets itself to the settings of the next pattern, regardless to whether the new settings are identical or completely different to the settings of the outgoing pattern. This can be PERCEIVED as a gap or glitch, even though the change happens pretty much instantly. But if your first pattern does not have any notes sounding when it changes into the next pattern, the transition is smooth as silk. You've got to engineer your pattern changes if you want them to sound smooth. It's not perfect but it is what it is.

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.

Last edited by apapdop on Mon May 04, 2015 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Apapdop, if there was a gap other units would go out of time, which I haven't found.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he did say it's non-existent on the current synth version Smile
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the electribe pattern gap prior to os 1.03:
___ ____

This is how it is now, post 1.03:
________

Now that the gap has been fixed, people are asking the blue to fade into red.

That behavior isn't called a gap - it's called Tails. (Tails = decay/release portions of synth sounds carrying over, insert delays decaying out, drum samples playing into the next pattern.)

Tails are not possible without supporting 2 patterns at the same time. The new electribe can only deliver 1 pattern at a time. (Less than one pattern if you jam up the DSP with a ton of poly, parts, and effects.)
Buska

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
This was the electribe pattern gap prior to os 1.03:
___ ____

This is how it is now, post 1.03:
________

Now that the gap has been fixed, people are asking the blue to fade into red.

That behavior isn't called a gap - it's called Tails. (Tails = decay/release portions of synth sounds carrying over, insert delays decaying out, drum samples playing into the next pattern.)

Tails are not possible without supporting 2 patterns at the same time. The new electribe can only deliver 1 pattern at a time. (Less than one pattern if you jam up the DSP with a ton of poly, parts, and effects.)

And this is why it sucks... I'm still going to buy the sampler one day but yeah a real bummer they didn't work on this. Even some of the oldschool grooveboxes have fx carryover on pattern change :/
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from James Pullen on the subject:

James Pullen wrote:
The notes carry over, the reverb tails carry over, and sounds switch with no gap. It is gone. You can make it glitch if you want by changing lots of values but functionally it's gone.

Regarding new OS / Firmware release date:

James Pullen wrote:
June/July

This is great news over all.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
blackholesun

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly a game changer.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope so...

roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited to know what else will come along with this update!
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah - he's talking about a gap between patterns in the sampler?

He says there's no gap in the e2 synth...

Smile

which is fantastic news to everybody!
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMK wrote:

James Pullen wrote:
The notes carry over, the reverb tails carry over, and sounds switch with no gap. It is gone. You can make it glitch if you want by changing lots of values but functionally it's gone.

James Pullen wrote:
June/July

That really would be wonderful - I'm certainly no expert - but the tails behavior really seemed impossible based on the way the e2 was known to work - (Like a device pegging the DSP into the red - complete with part dropouts.)

Then again, the StudioLogic Sledge got an OS update that doubled the polyphony - perhaps much more is possible than we had even hoped.

Awaiting June/July, while enjoying 1.03 as-is.
scum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i am with 1.03, and i am feeling this "gap", am i "thoughtless"? i've bought the electribe because of the effects, and i am happy even with the poor quality and lack of fx-chain, but i have just noticed this "gap" / "cut" / "crack", and with some effects it's ugly when switching patterns..I don't know, someone mentioned that electribe2 is not ok for live performance, so what is it made for - to replace the smartphone in the restroom? Or to play one pattern all night long..Well this is my first korg device, i like some things, but this is HUGE bug, this is basic..
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted3000 wrote:
SMK wrote:

James Pullen wrote:

James Pullen wrote:
June/July

That really would be wonderful - I'm certainly no expert - but the tails behavior really seemed impossible based on the way the e2 was known to work - (Like a device pegging the DSP into the red - complete with part dropouts.)

Then again, the StudioLogic Sledge got an OS update that doubled the polyphony - perhaps much more is possible than we had even hoped.

Awaiting June/July, while enjoying 1.03 as-is.

I am clueless as to how these things work inside, and you've very clearly explained the reasoning behind the tails issue in a previous post the last time this ol' chestnut raised it's head. But surely, IF in a pattern you could set a part's oscillator and IFX to something like "do not change from previous pattern" then it would help things? So instead of changing part 1's oscillator from a square wave to a square wave on changeover and cutting short any decaying notes, NO CHANGE TAKES PLACE on part 1's osc settings and it just has to play (potentially) the different MIDI data in the new pattern? Or is it as you've said in the past, new pattern = 100% no-questions-asked mind wipe and every parameter replaced with a new value, even though many of these new values will be the same as those in the outgoing pattern? (No comparing between the settings of the old and new patterns and seeing what needs to be changed and what can stay the same?)

chris1a

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scum wrote:
hey i am with 1.03, and i am feeling this "gap", am i "thoughtless"? i've bought the electribe because of the effects, and i am happy even with the poor quality and lack of fx-chain, but i have just noticed this "gap" / "cut" / "crack", and with some effects it's ugly when switching patterns..I don't know, someone mentioned that electribe2 is not ok for live performance, so what is it made for - to replace the smartphone in the restroom? Or to play one pattern all night long..Well this is my first korg device, i like some things, but this is HUGE bug, this is basic..

There is a "gap", no you are not thoughtless. Notes, IFX etc don't carry over and so on, which results in this audible glitch. This will be fixed in the June/July update, and the "thoughtless" thing was a remark about that upcoming firmware.

I don't know if the word "gap" is the proper way to describe the current problem though, but in the end that's just semantics. Notes, IFX etc getting cut off is just really, really bad design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: