Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback Guitar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc1

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Feedback Guitar Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a happy new Kronos owner and have a question concerning the guitar feedback effect on the Kronos.
I bought my Kronos used 2 months ago (OS 3.0.2 already installed) and wanted to delve now deeper into the capabilities of this wonderful machine.
Some years ago I saw a Namm video by Steve McNally introducing the Korg Oasys OS 1.1 and I have since then been very excited about this feedback effect.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it in a similar fashion as shown in the video (the programm should be A068 Dist. Feedback Guitar VJS). Not just that, the effect seems close to zero (at least in my case) when moving the vector joystick (which is the controller that is supposed to trigger this effect).

Now I'm wondering what other peoples experiences are with this programm/effect and wether I'm doing something wrong?
jackh

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Feedback Guitar Reply with quote

Try Screaming Tube Guitar, Dist.Guit and use JS-Y. Maybe this will work for you.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I have to admit, though, that I'm a little disappointed.
The programms you pointed me to are quite nice but purely sample based.
I'm much more intrigued by the "modeled feedback" of STR 1, even more so since I read the Parameter Guide on page 246, which indicates that this effect is quite resource hungry.

Meanwhile I tested the vector joystick with other programms and it works fine. Only this particular programm seems to be at odds with its naming.
Rather than by moving the vector joystick, the feedback seems to be attached to specific keys which release it few seconds after pressing the key. At least thats my observation for the moment.

But I'm no tech geek by any means. I guess I have to delve even deeper into the programming of STR 1 in order to obtain a proper understanding of its inner workings.

Best regards,

Marc

Last edited by marc1 on Wed May 06, 2015 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW#1 on the A068 Dist. Feedback Guitar VJS gives you feedback. Do you have a link to the Steve McNally video? I remember seeing it but now can't find it.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
marc1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busch for the info. Checked and verified. But it's different from what Steve McNally does in the video. It's a little static in its approach, whereas moving the vector joystick gives me more control over the amount of feedback in real time.

Unfortunately, I can't post a link since I haven't been able to locate it myself.
While searching for it, I came across another thread in which it was indicated that Korg removed the video from the Internet.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can play around with this yourself and maybe you'll find something you like.

If you go into EXi 1==>STRING==>STRING MAIN you'll see a section left-bottom named harmonic. Look at the AMS2 and you'll see it's set top SW1 Mod. You can change this to something like JS-Y & AT/2 which will give you harmonics if you pull back on the mod wheel or use aftertouch. There are several controllers that might work for you. Remember to do the same change to EXi 2 (EXi 2 is the sound for the lower half of the keyboard). If we had the McNally video we would have a better idea of how he controlled the harmonics.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know there's feedback and then there's the harmonic and they're different of course. The harmonic creates a neat effect and good rock guitarists can pull them out on demand in the middle of a phrase. But feedback comes from the pickups and amp. Go into EXi 1==>STRING==>PICKUPS/FEEDBACK. Set the DISTANCE parameter in the Feedback section to a low number like .50. That's an extreme but you should be able to get tons of feedback with normal playing. Now increase that number till you find something you like.

Don't forget to change EXi 2 to the same or similar number. Distance models the distance from the amp to the guitar so a low number means more feedback.

Busch.
marc1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will try out your recommendations as soon as I can.
Concerning the video I seem to recall from memory that feedback is achieved by either pushing the vector joystick forward and/or moving it left and right.

I can't remember him using any of the switches and/or other controllers. I'm not sure how this applies to the harmonics that you described.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: removed link of Steve McNally video, was only short intro of the Oasys with 3 engines (HD-1, AL-1, CX-3)
branman

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask Steve himself? He's on Facebook.
marc1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@psionic311:
The video that Busch and I are talking about is from the Winter Namm show 2006. At this show Korg introduced the OS 1.1 for the Oasys which included the then new STR 1 engine.

@branman:
Well, there are other tech guys from Korg active on this forum who should be as knowledgeable on the subject as Steve. If they choose to remain silent, I can only assume that they so for a reason. But I won't speculate any further... this only leads to fruitless discussion.
marc1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the feedback to work! It's not perfect yet, I still have to finetune some things. But yeah, there's guitar feedback! Korg had simply turned it of or more precisly they had turned off any assignment for the Vector Joystick. Don't know why they did it, cause it actually sounds quite good and is useable (dynamically).
marc1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those of you, who would like to try out themselves. Here's what I did:

Select programm A068 Dist. Feedback Guitar VJS.

Then go to ex 1, where there should be a pickups/Feedback section (it's also in the Parameter guide, in the STR-1 section for further references).
Go there and look at the parameters for feedback. Choose 7.50 for Distance (meters); set AMS in the neighbouring field to VJS + YMod (CC#87) and choose - 7.50 for Intensity.
Then go down to Orientation (degrees) and choose 180; the neighbouring field is AMS VJS +XMod (CC#85) and Intensity -120. Last but not least go down to Level which should be set to 100 and the neighbouring field is -100.

This same procedure applies to EX2, but this time you would choose the opposite values for AMS and Intensity (e.g. VJS -YMod(CC#88 and +7.50). After this it should be possible to generate a guitar feedback effect by moving the Vector Joystick(forward and forward-sideways). Done!

Further suggestions and/or improvements are welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: