Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"keybed" issues - status
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_tky

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: "keybed" issues - status Reply with quote

Hi All,
I know that any topic starting with "keybed" probably sounds like a broken record (or broken keybed repeating the key, so to speak ... Smile)

Anyway, my K is version 1 though with KDP1 keybed setting, probably blue contacts, though I did not check when I opened it last time. I was not interested in "contact strips", "blue/pink" colours, etc, as I thought I am not affected by this issue. I have not been for ~2.5 years after purchase, but it happens now.
I wonder, for anyone who had it resolved, by Korg or on their own by replacing contacts, has it reoccurred?
Also, I have not seen any posts about this issue in K2, but would appreciate comments.

R
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the issues were resolved with the Kronos X and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the new one. I'd suggest you contact Korg and see what they can do for you. Your board is likely out of warranty (as mine is), but you might get lucky.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
rob_tky

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Lack of replies suggests the issue is not common anymore, which is good.
In the meantime, I got a kind pm telling me that contacts color can be seen when looked between the keys with a torch. And indeed, its tips are easily visible.
Contrary to what I thought, I've got pink ones.
I checked few repair options. Local Korg service quoted ~250$ starting price for repair. I checked PartsIsParts option too.

Thanks anyway.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience,my friend.... Smile

This is still a newish post.
You may get other responses.....

Best Wishes.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "keybed" issues - status Reply with quote

rob_tky wrote:
...I have not been for ~2.5 years after purchase, but it happens now. I wonder, for anyone who had it resolved, by Korg or on their own by replacing contacts, has it reoccurred?
Also, I have not seen any posts about this issue in K2, but would appreciate comments.

I have two original KRONOS with the RH3 keybed: a 73 with blue contacts that has never had the problem; and an 88 that hasn't had the problem since I replaced the pink contacts with blue ones from Parts Is Parts, 1-1/2 years ago...it's easy to do the job yourself if you're at all mechanically inclined and are careful...RH3 keybed problems were probably resolved before the K2 release, and/or there aren't enough of them out there yet...

df
rob_tky

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was inclined to go PartsIsParts way, but was confused with colors. Now that I know I'm not on the latest space-shuttle-grade contacts technology, I'll diy fix it.
Thanks for replies.
rob_tky

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted new contacts. To my surprize cut off did not go away. I'll refit and check again.
Tested on German Grand. Volume slightly dropped, and velocity dynamic narrowed probably.
If anyone would like to comment (here or via pm), welcome.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us posted as to the outcome of refitting the contact strips!
rob_tky

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
Please keep us posted as to the outcome of refitting the contact strips!

Sure. But before I do, let me clarify that this thread is for DIY fans, who like fixing things (like I do). It's not to vent complains about keybed flaws.

There is also so much info in past threads, that it's almost impossible to figure out what's latest. That's why I posted this thread. And thank you to those who pm'ed me.

I thought I know what colors are good. I'm not sure. There are versions of pink and blue. Someone said revised ones are stiffer. My original pink ones are stiffer than blue ones I got from Parts is Parts (PIP). So... go figure.
For me, it comes down to choosing the version your keybed will like.

I mailed PIP to check if there was no mistake with what they sent me (I saw posts they made mistakes in the past) - but still no reply after few days.

Where I am now.
I left new blue ones in without refitting for now. Just to see what they are like, before rushing to change anything.
I also though they may need to stretch and fit to keybed. I went through each key few times, playing with different velocity. And indeed it probably worked to an extent. I had few cut offs right after fitting, but have not heard that in last 2 days. We'll see.
I'll probably reopen and refit anyway. I did not push contacts into holes, letting pcb push then. They were of course aligned with holes, but somehow did not want to go in, and i did not want to touch contacts with hands.

Many posts mentioned cleaning helps. Though I'm not sure if this is cleaning metal contacts on PCB, or cleaning rubber contacts on strips (?). PCB cleanup is easy, but what do you clean rubber contacts with not to damage them??

I also switched to velocity curve 9. I liked 4 with old contacts. But now 9 gets me to higher velocity numbers, and it sounds nice too.
On that. I WISH there was a custom curve, or at least a way to tune each curve with few parameters. So we can compensate for differences in mechanical characteristic of versions of strips. Sure, these differences give each keyboard different feel and sound, which is fine (just like real pianos are different), but if you cannot reach higher velocities then you might be missing out when using programs that use those higher velocities.

Again, comments welcome.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- that was quick! The reason for asking was that after you refitted the new contacts, you still had the cut-off issue! Pink, blue, up, down- know what I mean? To me, the cut-off issue perplexes me as to truly what's really the problem for some boards! I have serial number #001325 with original pink contacts and (so far) no problems. Good luck!
rob_tky

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My serial is about double yours, have not had problem for ~2+ years, using keyboard every day pretty much (not gigging though)

You're right, there is a bit of guessing game with colors. If anyone wants to avoid that, there is always Korg service. Maybe I'll end there too, but i'll hang on for a while longer, things are looking up.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an earlier posting, here are the differences I found between old and new contacts when I fixed my K88 a couple of years ago:

Opening a "refurbished" K73 and comparing its blue key contact strips with the pink ones in the K88, there are slight but significant differences: the blue contact strips are made of a harder, less flexible rubber than the pink ones, and are a little taller, with a slightly angled top surface. The blue contact strips are approximately .440" tall on the S2 (second contact) side, and .420" tall on the S1 side, while the pink ones are approximately .400", with the top surface parallel to the bottom.

From Korg Customer service, these are the part numbers for the KRONOS key contact strips that they currently have in stock:

#500422008889: RH-3E RUBBER SW12KEY E20373
#500422008890: RH-3E RUBBER SW 4KEY E30636

df
rob_tky

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one I got (assuming there was no mistake on PIP side, as there are no numbers on strips themselves).
And yes they look a bit taller, thought I would say they are softer than my pink ones.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning refers to the contacts themselves. That means both surfaces, the black graphite area of the rubber contacts and the point where they touch the PC board. Cleaning only means removing any dust or film. In the mildest case simply wiping the PC board contact area with your finger and blowing the contacts and board before installing. In the worse case using some alcohol on a Q-tip to wipe the surfaces and in some extreme cases, using a small eraser to burnish the surfaces. Worn is determined by looking at the graphite area of the rubber contact for glazing (shiny) places on the contact.

So;

Light - wipe and blow. (works well with new contacts)
Med - clean with alcohol, wipe and blow (older, dirty but not worn)
Hard - burnish, clean with alcohol and wipe and blow. (Worn etc.)

Once the rubber breaks or cracks, replace.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
rob_tky

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geo. In the meantime I came across this link, which says the same.

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/keyclean2.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: