Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What they SHOULD have done (with the presets)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlopingCompanion

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: What they SHOULD have done (with the presets) Reply with quote

It seems like it would have been a huge help for them to do the presets in a different manner. While I do agree with everyone's gripes on the lame 200 presets they included, I also feel that they are a pretty decent example of what the box can do. However, the way they programmed and named all of these templates is atrocious and definitely adds to it feeling like a toy.

What they should have done:

-Only 100 presets!!! - To learn and show by example- anything above 100 is just ridiculous and a waste of space (and we have to init pattern to EVERY one?!?!)

Presets should have gone as follows:

01-10 : Complete pattern examples in differing styles of music( with a few being 2 patterns long to show capabilities)

10-20 : HOUSE/ELECTRO TEMPLATES

20-30 : RAP/HIP HOP TEMPLATES

30-40 : TRANCE/TECHNO TEMPLATES

40-50 : BREAKS/DNB TEMPLATES

50-60 : DUBSTEP/GLITCH HOP TEMPLATES

60-70 : REGGAE/DUB TEMPLATES

70-80 : GLITCH/LO-FI/8-BIT TEMPLATES

80-90 : DOWNTEMPO/CHILL TEMPLATES

90-100 : ROCK/JAZZ/POP TEMPLATES

Why would you fill the box with nondescript preset patterns like "Chip Boy" and "Magician" that we have to scroll through, guess tempo and style, and really none of them flow together at all.

Next update (if and when) they should include a "Producers Pack Patch" or something like that, which basically replaces all the bullshit with workable templates and tools.

I would literally scrap the couple projects I do have written on there to initialize the entire box and replace these presets.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There'd be no need to scrap any projects. If you have been working hard on some things then export them out now to SD Card so you always have them always as copies to hand.
You can slot the card into a pc and create folders however you like. The e2 doesnt seem to have any problems with that.
As I work more on the thing i find the export/import facility an essential tool in my workflow.
SlopingCompanion

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the point I was trying to make with that last bit, was just emphasizing that I feel it would be worth it- I would obviously export anything worth keeping.

Was trying to show how important/big of a fix it could be.
SlopingCompanion

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 views and 1 reply, do you guys disagree? Or have any other ideas with how the presets should've/could be laid out?
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think too many users give thought to the presets because they almost always get written over. Templates are cool, but ultimately you figure things out on your own with the electribe. I guarantee almost every electribe2 user here has a different workflow and usage for it. There's some who only use it to sequence other gear with, for example.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the first 30 minutes with the electribe 2 writing the INIT pattern over all the presets i'm afraid... Sad

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that somebody spends enough time thinking about what the presets should have been, in their opinion, and then takes the time to list them all out. Just overwritte them as you need to, it's hardly pushing a rock up a hill with your nose.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Ted3000
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those genre templates would be better than the randomized factory patterns. But I wouldn't use either.

My ideal Electribe is shipped with every memory location blank and initialized. I have zero use for other people's music on my machine, and my first task was to overwrite everything.

But along with a blank tribe, I wouldn't mid seeing the return of a long-dead concept: The Demo Button. Or rather, a factory-default demo state -- which you can disable via the menu once you're ready to get serious. Pressing play when in Demo mode would play through a 5-minute tour-de-force breakneck genre showoff track.

Templates are really only valuable to beginners. In order to tweak it beyond recognition to call it your own, you've nearly done the work of creation from scratch.

Factory patterns are really only to hear what the machine can do out of the box. Well, we know what it can do - it has VA synthesis, effects, drums and a sequencer. So it can do anything, that is with a little elbow grease. Everyone gets sick of the factory patterns within hours.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
I spent the first 30 minutes with the electribe 2 writing the INIT pattern over all the presets i'm afraid... Sad

Ditto. Made my own template to fit my needs and then copied that over the rest.
bladuck

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What they SHOULD have done (with the presets) Reply with quote

SlopingCompanion wrote:
Next update (if and when) they should include a "Producers Pack Patch" or something like that, which basically replaces all the bullshit with workable templates and tools.
Cannot agree more
markxl1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST....If Korg ever change copy part function to other patterns then we'll have a much easier and better machine to work with.
Everyone on this forum could build a template or two and contribute and then life would be better in the Electribe world.

It would be nice if Korg converted all their older Electribe machine patterns to the EMX2 with their knowhow.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better template pattern:

http://innerportalstudio.com/a-better-electribe-default-pattern/

Includes a list of what changes I made to the default one.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe folk being a mite harsh on the OP - his list is actually similar to the iElectribes browser layout.

I am not saying he did but some will be coming to E2 from that software so it would seem something to be expected, especially when it's marketed as a groovebox to cater across the range of genres.

Deleting all the presets?

Woah, that's badass, somebody call the cops. Smile

I shuffled them sideways off into folders in the SD card. It's easier to get back into them if I am looking for a solution to a problem and has helped me 3 times already when i been stuck on something.

I used T's init file since he put it out out as my go-to. it's been real good.
SlopingCompanion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
I can't believe that somebody spends enough time thinking about what the presets should have been, in their opinion, and then takes the time to list them all out. Just overwritte them as you need to, it's hardly pushing a rock up a hill with your nose.

Don't worry about me pal, I'm not losing any sleep over it- it was just an idea of how I felt the presets could be improved. I type quite quickly also, it didn't take me much time.
SlopingCompanion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Here's a better template pattern:

http://innerportalstudio.com/a-better-electribe-default-pattern/

Includes a list of what changes I made to the default one.

This is AWESOME- thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: