Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drumkit Editing Bug with OS 3.0.2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Drumkit Editing Bug with OS 3.0.2 Reply with quote

With the new OS it is possible to change the Program Bank Type of INT-B from HD-1 to EXi.
But when INT-B is set to EXi, it's not possible to hear any Drumkit Samples in "Global->Drum Kit" Mode.
It doesn't matter which program is chosen before.

Can you confirm this bug?

Korg, please fix it!

Last edited by Melomaniak on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number one change the title of the thread until you confirm that it's a bug....

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've always been able to change the bank type between HD1 and EXi. Of course when you change it to EXi the drum programs would not work anymore because they are based on the HD1 engine. Normally when you change a bank between EXi and HD1 it erases all the programs in that bank.

YouTube -

Facebook -

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug. When you go to Global Mode to edit drum samples, you are basically inside whatever program you had selected BEFORE you went to Global Mode. If you want to edit Drum Samples, select an HD-1 Drum Program before going into Global Mode. Drum Kits don't work in EXi programs.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apex, being able to change the first (INT) series of bank types is a feature of the new OS.
Stephen, you're a much more experienced programmer than I, but are you sure?? The few drumkits I've created I've just gone to global without paying attention to where I was coming from. Where's the sense in "being inside the program", considering you have to manually create a program afterwards. Can you reference a portion of the manual that explains this?
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Apex, being able to change the first (INT) series of bank types is a feature of the new OS.
Stephen, you're a much more experienced programmer than I, but are you sure?? The few drumkits I've created I've just gone to global without paying attention to where I was coming from. Where's the sense in "being inside the program", considering you have to manually create a program afterwards. Can you reference a portion of the manual that explains this?

Yes he's is right. I posted about this a long time ago but it had something to do with the drum kit being processed by whatever the effects were of the current program that was selected before entering into the global drum kit.

YouTube -

Facebook -

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Embarassed Yeah, you're right - I was completely out of my mind with that statement. Face palm

Please disregard. I don't know what I was thinking - I thought it used to work like that (maybe it once did on some older Korgs? Think), but now that I'm actually in front of my Kronos, I can clearly go to Global from an EXi program and it works fine to hear the drum kit. Although it seems to use a default init program type sound when you do this? Maybe it does keep the program envelopes and effects when you go from an HD-1 program, something like that - I don't have time to play with it right now, going to bed. Wink

So I don't know what the OP was referring to.

EDIT: thinking about it more, typing from the office not in front of the Kronos - it must work that way when you come from an HD-1 program. Let's say you have a drum program you're working on with Pitch EGs and weird envelopes, and flanger and distortion. If you go to Global Mode (from within that program) to edit the actual Drum Kit, wouldn't you want it to be using those pitch EGs and weird envelopes and effects while you edit the drum kit? You wouldn't want it to go back to an INIT program.... so it must use the envelopes effects etc. from the program you're coming from - at least for an HD-1 program where it makes sense. They must have it going to an init HD-1 type program when you jump to Global from an EXi. I wonder if it was always like that... must admit I haven't done any drum kit editing in a few years... ah well, off to bed...

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Yes he's is right. I posted about this a long time ago but it had something to do with the drum kit being processed by whatever the effects were of the current program that was selected before entering into the global drum kit.

For the FX section this may be true (I'd have to check but it kinda makes sense), but that is somewhat separate from any program settings.

It really does seem like a bug to me, or rather an unintended consequence of being able to switch the first (INT) series of bank types.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the drumkit in the hd1 in an osc then all the parameters apply to it. It works the same way with wave sequences. For me this is very convenient, i have created a couple of HD1 templates (like motion pads, rythmic patches, etc.) for specific types of wave sequences. Whenever i need to create a new wave sequence i select that HD-1 program and then press the global knob and the wave sequence tab. Then i already can hear the 'end result' more or less during the development of the wave sequence.
(so including EG, filter and fx)

For drums this probably works the same way if you select the drum kit as an osc. However, if you use it in the drumtrack, then only the effects are applied (based on your filter routing settings of the drumtrack), not the Filter and envelopes.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only when you're editing the actual drumkit that's inside the currently selected HD1 program, right? Which I agree is useful. I just mean that it should still be possible to go to global mode from anywhere and edit a drumkit, sec.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
This is only when you're editing the actual drumkit that's inside the currently selected HD1 program, right? Which I agree is useful. I just mean that it should still be possible to go to global mode from anywhere and edit a drumkit, sec.

good question, i need to check that for drum kits, for wave sequences (which is similar) you don't have load it in an hd1 program to hear the difference. All the parameters are Always applied, even without loading it.

You can easely check this yourself (it's rather fun), just select any hd1 program and press the global button and then the wave sequence tab. Select a wave sequence and listen to how it sounds. Now press the program button and select a totally different hd1 program, press the global button again and you will notice that the wave sequence sounds totally different because it now uses all the parameter settings of the second hd1 program (without that you have loaded it).

I find that very convenient during wave sequence development, i would find it convenient too for drum kits, but i guess that it works the same way.
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
It's not a bug. When you go to Global Mode to edit drum samples, you are basically inside whatever program you had selected BEFORE you went to Global Mode. If you want to edit Drum Samples, select an HD-1 Drum Program before going into Global Mode. Drum Kits don't work in EXi programs.

Thank you for your quick answer, Stephen. I know the Kronos very good.
Please just try it!

- Only that we all have the same settings - but it is not required: load the PRELOAD.PCG from my Kronos (1) OS 3.0.2

- Select one program with a drumkit which is not in I-B (For example U-A000)
- Go to Global->Drumkit Mode (Play some notes, select different Drumkits. IT WORKS!)

But:
- Now go to Global->Basic->Menu_Set Program Bank Type. Change the INT-B from HD-1 to EXi

- Select again one program with a drumkit which is not in I-B (For example U-A000)
- Go to Global->Drumkit Mode (Play some notes, select different Drumkits. YOU HEAR NO Drumsamples!)

When you change the Bank Typ of INT-B again to HD-1, it works again.
Thank you for trying this on your Kronos.

P.S. I'm also a programmer - I checked it: It is only the program bank INT-B that must be HD-1.
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:

Number two: Understand and try it, before you anwser.
It's a bug!
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melomaniak wrote:
apex wrote:

Number two: Understand and try it, before you anwser.
It's a bug!

Nah

YouTube -

Facebook -

apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melomaniak wrote:
StephenKay wrote:

Thank you for your quick answer, Stephen. I know the Kronos very good.
Please just try it!

- Only that we all have the same settings - but it is not required: load the PRELOAD.PCG from my Kronos (1) OS 3.0.2

- Select one program with a drumkit which is not in I-B (For example U-A000)
- Go to Global->Drumkit Mode (Play some notes, select different Drumkits. IT WORKS!)

But:
- Now go to Global->Basic->Menu_Set Program Bank Type. Change the INT-B from HD-1 to EXi

- Select again one program with a drumkit which is not in I-B (For example U-A000)
- Go to Global->Drumkit Mode (Play some notes, select different Drumkits. YOU HEAR NO Drumsamples!)

When you change the Bank Typ of INT-B again to HD-1, it works again.
Thank you for trying this on your Kronos.

P.S. I'm also a programmer - I checked it: It is only the program bank INT-B that must be HD-1.

Once you get to the bottom of this I'm almost positive that it will have something to do with the fact that you changed it to an EXi bank.... Since the drums are HD1. Not exactly sure how the Kronos references it's drum programs (that are pointing to a user drum kit).... But it seems as if these two concepts are related so changing INTB to HD1 makes those drum programs non functional.

YouTube -

Facebook -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: