Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos architecture, board specifications and what could be.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Kronos architecture, board specifications and what could be. Reply with quote

Today, I decided to do a little research regarding the kronos mainboard and user requests including my own for a 64bit OS.

I’d like to draw your attention to the following 3 links which demonstrate the technical and provisional specifications of the kronos at time of builds, as stated by each version of the kronos to current.

Kronos Rev A (original kronos 1st release)
https://ark.intel.com/products/42645/Intel-Desktop-Board-D510MO

Kronos X and Kronos Rev B
https://ark.intel.com/products/48952/Intel-Desktop-Board-D525MW

Kronos 2 Mainboard specs.
https://www.asrockind.com/overview.asp?Model=IMB-140D%20Plus

The above information comes from the following article… http://sandsoftwaresound.net/tag/korg-kronos/

Also, for those in the UK or cold climates during the winter season, be aware that the SSD’s installed freeze, this is why sometimes your kronos may not boot. This isn’t a fault with the kronos, in fact, any workstation on the market running an SSD in a large, open case, suffers this fault. Please don’t think your SSD has failed, it’s not the case. SSD drives have operating temperatures and as a result are sensitive to temperature on power-up. After all, electrical signals also rely on a waste process of heat transfer and as a result, warm up components to working temperatures.

I’ve noticed this on my two machines where either or both don’t boot first time when temperatures within the house are below 4C etc. so, just be mindful of this.

With reference to the kronos 2 and the specification of the memory modules and slot. availability, it does seem a little odd that installing a single 4GB DIMM in slot 1 when the board maxes at a theoretical 4gb limit, seems a litle odd that a single channel will support a 4GB DIMM when the logical behaviour of supported ram for most boards is to spread the RAM handling over both channels / slots. But, as the later board for the kronos 2 dictates, 1 Channel for Ram over 2 slots. It’s also notable that this mainboard supports a max 1.86ghz cpu (soldered in) and as such not a bad board to use.

I refer to an article who’s author I have to thank for this information where it comes to the integration of more modern hardware.

Using a desktop / ITX board with higher CPU spec, though doable, would require significant increase in power demands from the PSU, also thermal efficiency and cooling. However, having noticed how cold an SSD can get to the point of initial read failure , restart, then read, it would be a good idea for korg to use in certain places a thermal lining to keep temperatures inside the kronos as stable as possible. Don’t forget that rather large, full length grill at the top to rear, though this draws air in and out, it also in cold temperatures creates an internal cold spot. So, keeping your studio warm or workspace warm is important here.

The way to leverage best performance, 64 bit architecture, etc would be on the bases of an adapted laptop board which sports the same / similar spec to that of a desktop workstation.

From a construction principle, the kronos internal structure could be streamlined so that less air volume is available and insulation for the SSD bay would help matters. but then, I’m opening this up to construction and design challenges and ideas… Although I would say this as a base principle. As the Kronos relies on SSD storage, a viable solution here would be to have externally accessible bays to install, eject and lock drives in place, should anything serious happen. I’m surprised though that korg made a design decision to remove the optical drive from the kronos, it only added a few gram in weight to the machine, but think of the weight of a kronos 2 88 against an oasys 88…
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 99% sure Korg discloses the proper temps to operate/store Kronos

Some of this is common sense, but common sense is not always common.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos operating temperature range, specified in the Operations Guide, is +5 to +40degC, no condensation. The original Kronos spec was +5 to +35degC, no condensation (the original K was fitted with a HDD, and later with an SSD).
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
(the original K was fitted with a HDD, and later with an SSD).

I think you are mistaken.
All Kronos models are fitted with an SSD to my knowledge. (I have a K88 from 2011 with a low 30’s serial number)
Mine came with a 30GB Toshiba drive.

I think that perhaps the Oasys came with a HDD. And a CD-RW...
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since +4 degC is outside of the Kronos operating spec, I'm not surprised that it doesn't boot at that temperature (I don't play music very well at that temperature, either, or above +35 degC)...here in the western USA, we're at the other end of the temperature scale a lot of the time; I'm sure that Korg carefully considered all potential operating conditions, and designed the Kronos to work in all typical (indoor) environments...and removable drive bays, higher-power processors, increased power consumption, more complex cooling (and heating?) schemes, etc., would increase the price significantly...some people will always want more, more polyphony, more memory space, operation outdoors or in cold winter rooms, etc., but I think Korg did a good job with the necessary design tradeoffs, and most customers are probably satified with its (considerable) capabilities...

df
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qtipcore wrote:
voip wrote:
(the original K was fitted with a HDD, and later with an SSD).

I think you are mistaken.
All Kronos models are fitted with an SSD to my knowledge. (I have a K88 from 2011 with a low 30’s serial number)
Mine came with a 30GB Toshiba drive.

I think that perhaps the Oasys came with a HDD. And a CD-RW...

you are correct. the first Kronos models were supplied with a toshiba 30gb SSD. Oasys workstations were installed with HDD drives but could be upgraded to SSD's though at the time the performance for SSD's was not worth it.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
Since +4 degC is outside of the Kronos operating spec, I'm not surprised that it doesn't boot at that temperature (I don't play music very well at that temperature, either, or above +35 degC)...here in the western USA, we're at the other end of the temperature scale a lot of the time; I'm sure that Korg carefully considered all potential operating conditions, and designed the Kronos to work in all typical (indoor) environments...and removable drive bays, higher-power processors, increased power consumption, more complex cooling (and heating?) schemes, etc., would increase the price significantly...some people will always want more, more polyphony, more memory space, operation outdoors or in cold winter rooms, etc., but I think Korg did a good job with the necessary design tradeoffs, and most customers are probably satified with its (considerable) capabilities...

df

I've no complaint with build or design of the kronos, far from it. My post was really to give some food for thought. like as an example as it's not really given as detail, SATA 3 drives are not fully supported as the boards use SATA II spec, newer SSD's running Sata 3 cannot drop to Sata II spec, so will bottlenack at sata 1 spec meaning that performance is degraded further in data handling on either sata channel 0 or 1 respectively. OK my temperature matters aren't really a matter, so to me that's not really much of a bother, I keep a regular check on things.

My points were expanded on the website author's article to give some ideas of where the kronos could go next. Matters like SSD drive access doesn't cost much at all if bay brackets were inserted to the rear like server / host drive ports used on rack servers, etc, things like this are doable, viable options, there's a lot of scope that wouldn't cost as much.

anyway, enough from me on that, just thought I'd write the post to help some users trying to understand the issue of 64 bit OS support and RAM matters more than anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: