Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood end caps on new Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Wood end caps on new Kronos Reply with quote

I saw many posts complaining about the plastic end caps on the original Kronos. I have had one for almost 4 years and don't have a scratch on them.

Despite my obsessive care taking, in only 3 months my Kronos2 has managed 2 dings; one on each end cap, from people just brushing up against it on stage. I am going to order an extra set and have the originals refinished with some kind of bullet proof clear coat. Has anyone taken the K2 end caps off? Does it require the same level of disassembly required to remove the original plastic ones? Thanks
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
MusicLive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a clue as to how the end caps come off, sorry, but the timber must be real soft if they sustain 'dings from people just brushing past'.
I dread to think what damage would occur if they were hit by a mike stand, or some similar object?

Get them sprayed in a two pack Polyester finish, then a few coats of 2 pack Acrythane Lacquer. They'll look nice too, but will withstand 'brushing' but would still suffer from any heavy impact.

Then employ a couple of German Shepard Dogs to stand guarding it! Smile

Regards,

MC
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to put the new end caps (wooden) on the original Kronos?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
MusicLive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new K2 is narrower than the K1 and X so don't think they would.

Regards,

MC
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a while back, I saw a thread about some company that was making wooden end caps for the first Kronos's. I'm kind of glad I didn't bother with them. Even though mine travels in a proper road case, it has scratches and dings and certainly looks well played. I'm okay with that though. It looks a bit like me~ Wink Well used!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Darryll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Wooden End Caps Reply with quote

Does anyone know of where to order wooden end caps like the following? They look nice + practical for caring or moving the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cMcw5BdnaU
drdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I am alone here, but because I want to look after my synth I'll just be careful....... !! i do have little bits of wood, which i would like to show off in years to come..
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
drdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was getting excited, then realised, it's my M3 (not my Kronos) that has wood paneling edges, but to be fair, it does look good !!!
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos sides are pretty easy to remove actually - 5 or 6 screws each. Of course, you have to first remove the base wooden panel.
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my K2 I vowed to be careful with the wood end caps, because with the last synth I had with wood trim (Hammond) they got scratched up pretty badly. So I bought a nice flight case with internal padding and haven't transported the Kronos once without it.

However, despite all my care the end caps are still scratched, presumably from bumping them while moving in and out of the case. As noted above, it's soft wood. Although stained to look like oak, it's not oak, which would be more scratch-resistant.

My question: has anyone tried using scratch-repair products such as this or this on their end caps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: