Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SETUP ADVICE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatDoob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: SETUP ADVICE Reply with quote

Hello, everybody!

I wanted to ask you for recommendations.

My setup consists of Korg ESX, Korg Microkorg, Yamaha PSR-GX76 and from a friend - Boss GT8 effect processor and a few different pedals (with an electric guitar and a guitar player of course).

A friend told me that a MIDISPORT 4x4 would be the go-to device to hook it all up and finally record.

What difficulties could arise with a midisport (with the setup)? Will Ableton (or whatever) be 100% necessary to record and edit all these independent devices? What wires will I need? I've never got to recording with these, so I don't know where to start to fulfill my recording needs.

I may have missed some points out, I'm a beginner in a sense.

Thanks in advance!
Idea
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Hmmm.
The Midisport allows you to record the MIDI events of your synths. Not their sound as such. This means that once you recorded the MIDI events, you still need to have the synths connected to hear something when playing it back. Or you can render the MIDI events to sound using software synthesizers to circumvent that, but these will for sure not sound as your synths.
You definitely can not record anything of the guitar with it as it does not produce MIDI events...

So you better look for an audio interface and/or small mixer. I would say the Midisport is optional except, if you want to edit the MIDI events (notes, velocity, length, position, transpose, ...), play it back and record that sound (using the audio interface) or if you want to sequence you synths with Ableton.

It all depends what you exactly want to do for recording. Record a mix, record instrument per instrument, record all instruments at once as seperate channels, ...

Have fun.
FatDoob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for opening my amateur eyes. My friend said that a Tascam cassette mixer would be great (we would export it through a cassette player to audacity to get that cassette sound, but with that, wouldn't it be impossible to edit?).

Can you recommend any budget options for a setup of my kind?

I'd like to hear my synths, yes.. and I'd like to be able to edit and mix all the parts independently as It would not be easy to just do it all LIVE in one go. (e.g. start with the baseline from the korg, then keep adding drum parts with the ESX or the Yamaha etc.) I sense that ableton will be needed nevertheless to build the track.

For the guitar, I have a pre-amp that should do the trick for that.

Seems that I haven't noticed some key parts in order to reach my needs and I feel that I've left something out.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: