Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha Reface
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too bought the CS.

Clever multi functions on various sliders.
The slider that varies the EG between organ gate and ADSR is brilliant.
Greater range than most vintage synths: saturated depths, mod speeds into the audio range.
Strong FX section. Reverb is missing but most amps have it.
Sounds quite good. Aliasing only noticeable at limits and even then it's not bad.
I like the portability, battery power, speakers that don't look like PSS series.
I don't mind the mini keys given the size.

Dislikes:
A velocity keyboard with no way to route it to the synth engine is a hugely missed opportunity for expression
No master tune knob (has to be done via midi parameter change)
No way to change midi channels (either 1 or omni) except via midi param change.
If you are trying to use max mod in FM as a noise generator, the carrier is still audible (have to go to a very low octave to minimize it).
I miss not having multiple destinations for the LFO
There's no way to combine saw with pulse, or saws offset by octave.
LFO only a triangle wave, but if depth saturated can start to act more like a square wave (still bipolar though)
Hate the midi split dongle.
Still about $100 too expensive.

I'm on the fence with soundmondo. What happens when Yamaha closes the site down? Gone forever, poof? In order to save a patch from there, I have to unplug the Reface from my notebook, then plug it into my iphone using the connect app. That would get old... wish app could log directly into soundmondo and save.

Ultimately, Id like to see this engine with the above fixes, along with a high pass filter. Add the ability to copy the sound train into 3-4 slots like a Roland Gaia or Nord Lead A1. Make each slot capable of having its own midi channel. And add a little sequencer like the Roland JD-xi.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewww, why did you buy that?
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Ewww, why did you buy that?

Five reasons:

1. I'm an OTB hardware freak. My girlfriend calls me a gear hoarder. Wink I see it as collecting future firmware upgrade projects for when I retire.
2. At the time I was laid up on painkillers and being scheduled for surgery. I couldn't resist amazon prime. So a combo of cabin fever, painkillers, lapse of judgement? Wink, looming mortality, synth withdrawals.
3. It sounds damn good. I can't put it down. Im neglecting a JP08 that's on the same chair.
4. Speaking of which, it's the synth equivalent of having an iPad laying around in the living room. Pick it up during commercials, or when everyone else is nerding out, noodle around, put it down.
5. Ummm, because I f#@king can?? Geez, it's not a Schmitt.

Now for the "naysayers", with their snide and snark:

If this synth is sooooo not for you, why do you keep coming back to these reface threads to remind us about it? Amateur comedy hour was long over. I think we picked up that it has batteries, mini keys, sliders, and built in speakers after the first 5 minutes.

The only reason I can think of, is that naysayers want to like it, but they feel butt hurt because they were excluded in some way. Like some sort of phallic envy. Maybe when the reface strapon guitar attachment ships... Wink

I've heard the argument : "with so many affordable analogs out there, why buy this?" Show me a new 8 voice, multi oscillator, analog poly for $500. I must be missing something. I have a load of small form factor vintage synths: this thing is faster and more immediate than most. I keep coming back to the CS. It's like a mini Nord A1 (another synth that was slagged upon until folks discovered it was fast and sounded great).

There are many synths out there. If the reface isn't your thing, go with something else that works for you. You time is better spent finding what improves you instead of trying to bring others down to your level of discontent.

And if you're ITB, why do you hang out in the OTB space? Jump in, try something, if you hate it, sell it. So many synths, so little time.

Last edited by JnC on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we're supposed to keep it civil in here but I applaud this post.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep true, two questions though what is OTB and ITB?
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Yep true, two questions though what is OTB and ITB?

OTB: out the box: physical keyboard synths, modules, and effects

ITB: in the box: soft synths (vsts) running on a PC/iPad, with an external controller

There's some blur with VA's (virtual analog) such as reface, boutique, Nord, as these are a software engine running in a DSP. But I like that the surrounding hardware interface is specialized to the synth engine, instead of having to assign generic controllers. I like having one box with knobs/keys instead of a CPU, controller, interface, monitors. ITB can be less expensive... until your OS is unsupported.
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I know we're supposed to keep it civil in here but I applaud this post.

And for clarification, while I responding to a question of why I bought a reface, my response to "naysayers" wasn't personally directed at any one person. I didn't mean to come across as uncivilized. Far from it. I don't walk up to owners of smart cars and tell them how sh!tty their purchase was. I expect to be afforded the same respect. Different strokes for different folks. And there are some fine ITB warez out therez. Just not my hobby.

Oh and I've been accused of working for yammy. I don't work for or supply any instrument manufacturer. And for the record, when I did a gear count, the majority of my gear is ... Korg!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't walk up to owners of smart cars and tell them how sh!tty their purchase was. I expect to be afforded the same respect. Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly what I meant.

Last edited by SanderXpander on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, last night I was attempting (and failing due to software) to measure the filter roll off on the CS. I noticed that there is some local velocity sensitivity from its keyboard. It is very slight, and hardly any range. But it was detectable on the scope levels, audible, and repeatable. I could not localize it to the filter or to the amp. But it suggests that the engine does have an active velocity routing. I knew it could transmit, but I didn't think it could respond.

Oh and from my mouth to Korg's ears, there is a rumored korg analog poly for namm at the $500 price point. Likely not 8 note polyphony, but it sounds like quite the kit.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JnC wrote:
Show me a new 8 voice, multi oscillator, analog poly for $500.

For $1k, there's Futuresonus Parva that had its Kickstarter (currently they're fulfilling funders, but it's going on sale in due time).

$1k for an 8-voice, 3 oscillator, 2 filters, 4 envelopes and 4 LFOs synth. Not bad at all.

https://futureson.us/
JnC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
JnC wrote:
Show me a new 8 voice, multi oscillator, analog poly for $500.

For $1k, there's Futuresonus Parva that had its Kickstarter (currently they're fulfilling funders, but it's going on sale in due time).

$1k for an 8-voice, 3 oscillator, 2 filters, 4 envelopes and 4 LFOs synth. Not bad at all.

https://futureson.us/

Yes I've heard about it. But it's a module, requiring that you bring your own keyboard. I was nearly tempted to pull the trigger, but I've been burned on previous kickstarters.

There's lots of frustration with their backers at the moment with whether or not they are shipping. I hope they come thru.
phil55

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Yamaha Reface DX for a few months now and I have to say I love it. It's a great little DX keyboard and the looper is wonderful. I like how you can change the sound on the fly and that the looper can send MIDI. The editing aspects are really easy and it really becomes like instinct after a while. I use it as a keyboard controller for my modular and the FM sounds compliment perfectly. The graph display is also nice.

Regarding sound comparison to a DX7, the Reface only has 4 operators whereas the DX7 I believe has at least 6. This means the first part of a sound patch on a Reface can duplicate (without extra noise) the first part of a DX7 patch, but depending on how the DX7 plays out, the Reface doesn't go that distance although you can prolong the Reface patch via the 4th operator. It's closest in sound, to my memory, to a DX21 or DX100.

The effects are a sweet addition to and the speakers are bright for the size.

Out of all the Refaces, I think the DX offers the biggest bang for the buck.

My biggest complaint is that it can't 'program' earlier DX synths, or swop patches via MIDI. I hope an OS update will sort it out.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How different does it sound compared to the "old" FM 4 op synthesizers?
I only have a WT11 left as a 4 op synth.
Still have my SY99 but it's bad shape after not being used for years.
phil55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
How different does it sound compared to the "old" FM 4 op synthesizers?.....

To my ears and memory, it sounds as good or better than the DX21 which was 4 op.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's cool. My WT11 had 8 note polyphony!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: