Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

philosophical thoughts about the em2 workflow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchcow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a song/pattern chain mode much more than 8 bars. We all knew the E2 had 4 bars only. But nobody knew it doesn't have the basic of all functions; song/pattern chain modes.

All previous models have had this. I really wonder what the reason is Korg did not add something like it. It must be a very good reason And not something like rushing the device out before the software was done Wink

Then again maybe I need to learn to make songs without song modes. Just manually change the pattern every single time, at every single performance. Yeah, good times Cool
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchcow wrote:
I want a song/pattern chain mode much more than 8 bars. We all knew the E2 had 4 bars only. But nobody knew it doesn't have the basic of all functions; song/pattern chain modes.

All previous models have had this. I really wonder what the reason is Korg did not add something like it. It must be a very good reason And not something like rushing the device out before the software was done Wink

Then again maybe I need to learn to make songs without song modes. Just manually change the pattern every single time, at every single performance. Yeah, good times Cool

I knew before buying it that it had no song mode. I think the intro video Korg did with Nick Batt before release, along with a webinar (ughhh, what a horrible word, sorry) that Luke Edwards did around the time of release made it clear that there was no song mode. Whatever the 'real' reason for this maybe it was put forward that it was a considered decision geared towards live performance and that they were forcing you towards interaction with the machine, not pressing play and throwing your hands in the air like you just don't care.
I personally have no problem with changing patterns manually, and do so when playing live. It allows me to alter the structure on the fly, to judge whether a part is not working as well as it should or better than I thought and change to suit the mood. It's all part of the performance, but coming, as I do, from a background of playing live music with guitars and drums I'm used to actually having to do something whilst I'm on stage. Wink
That said, I would love 8 bars, or a higher resolution or a flux mode on 4 bars.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
dutchcow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A higher editable resolution and being able to turn off or at least change the quantization would help a lot too. Then running patterns at half speed won't mean you have less resolution. Guess we can only hope.

All said and done the think I want the most right now is a service manual so we know how to recover from bad flashes and have the option to flash the ES2 firmware to the E2 and vice versa.

I doubt Korg will release such a document willingly, so we have to wait for it to be leaked? I have tried some boot options but there are simply to many combinations of pads/buttons to hold down to find out. At least for a lazy bigger like myself Laughing
Tom 62

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES2 is shipping in UK ...

https://twitter.com/KorgUK/status/623080673247494144
_INTER_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason can be slacking off from Korg. Everything else is just a cheap excuse.
Imagine a live performance with sound above 200 bpm, you'd turn that wheel like no tomorrow.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest with you, I've never even thought of having that (service manual) but I'm not the hacking kind!
For me 1.10 fixed the most important gripes, that being most of the clicking and ifx tails. Any changes now, except for note tails and perhaps for a way to get 8 bars or equivalent, would be a workflow choice and would probably annoy as many people as it pleased. I think it is now a perfectly serviceable unit.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
s3kn0tr0n1c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
perhaps for a way to get 8 bars or equivalent,

Just being able to link 2 or more patterns would solve this.

eg-

Load up pattern 1, which is preset to auto link pattern 1,2,3 and 4.

You now have 16 bars without having to manually change every 4.

This woudnt take that much effort on korgs part.
Kuwaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3kn0tr0n1c wrote:

eg-

That would be a great solution! Not that I mind the workarounds but this seems like something that could easily be worked into an update. There could just be a menu option to turn on chaining and set a length, presumably up to 4.
s3kn0tr0n1c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwaga wrote:
s3kn0tr0n1c wrote:

eg-

That would be a great solution! Not that I mind the workarounds but this seems like something that could easily be worked into an update. There could just be a menu option to turn on chaining and set a length, presumably up to 4.
yup....
MaartenNl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_INTER_ wrote:

Imagine a live performance with sound above 200 bpm, you'd turn that wheel like no tomorrow.

Turning wheels like there is no tomorrow is the whole fun part of the electribe/live performance. Even on 128 bpm i'm turning wheels and pushing buttons. 200 bpm will make it only better (performance wise) Smile
bladuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
. Each one can add variety to yr sounds when used live. Recently I've been using the pitch knob more and more.
....See .... couldn't "they" ... "THE Korg" ... get us option for the pitch knob to go less than +/- 2 oct. Or give us extra TWO options under the part menu. I should be able to set the XY kaoss to do
X-axe - pitch bend,
Y-axe - new Manual modulation work independently of the mod section OR help the Mod section so that I don't need ONE HAND to turn a knob during live performance.
Example Part menu:
Kaoss Y Function:
- Normal ( what ever it does now)
- Pitch bend +/- 2 semi
- Pitch bend +/- 5 semi or what ever you like
Kaoss X Function:
- Normal (what ever it does now)
- Modulation +/- 25% of Depth Knob
- Modulation +/- 50% Depth Knob
helps the "depth" knob so you can FREE one hand
bladuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3kn0tr0n1c wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
perhaps for a way to get 8 bars or equivalent,

eg-

Now this is what I call an elegant solution, Korg halloo ? are you listening ? ... any down site having this ? ... e.g. not saved changes in pattern one get lost b/c I just jumped to the second pattern ?
7zark7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the answer in the pattern to pad feature? That, and some clever resampling? I realize that you don't have the same control over the pattern when it has been assigned to a pad, but it should allow you launch pre-programmed variations from within the same pattern. Even ones that are four bars long, no? Maybe I am not I understanding that function properly. I admit that I have not used it yet.

-7zark7
colulizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

eg-

The TB-3 does this, you can link clips in Ableton to loop one after the other, so it would fit nicely into that type of looped/ live workflow.

I can see why there's no song mode.... you might as well use a backing tape or play a wav from Ableton. But the ability to loop individual patterns on their own or chain loop them would be useful.

Now i'm thinking out loud.... Do you think there's a way to assign a patter in Electribe to a clip in Ableton live, and then trigger the patterns from whatever controller you'er using? That would be pretty nifty if it was there. Then you could get uyour hands dirty tweaking those knobs on Electribe (and whatever else you're controlling) then then just change scenes/ clips in Live as and when.
I've only had mine a few days and I can see a busy weekend coming up
_INTER_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turning wheels like there is no tomorrow is the whole fun part of the electribe/live performance. Even on 128 bpm i'm turning wheels and pushing buttons. 200 bpm will make it only better (performance wise)

Agreed, but if you wouldn't have to constantly turn the pattern change wheel, you could focus on turning other wheels that flavor the sound...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: