Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y2KMIDI Beta - Yamaha Styles To Korg Midi Converter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Y2KMIDI Beta - Yamaha Styles To Korg Midi Converter Reply with quote

All,
Here is a Utility Program I wrote that takes yamaha styles and converts to Korg Compatible Midi file that you can import into arranger and setup.
This is mainly to give me a head-start and does all the repetitive dirty work behind the scenes.

Thanks to Forum Members: Thoraldus and Snorkum for testing early betas and suggestions.

---------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Style/Pad To Korg Midi Converter

Latest Version : 1.4

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvwugeyz6bfwvkr/Y2kMidi_1_4_0.zip?dl=0

Version 1.4 (05 June 2016)
Can now Extract Midi Drum Track (channel 10) from Yamaha Style Files.
Can Convert the Extracted Drum Track to GM + 12 Format (Korg Drums as in Kronos, M3 etc)

The Generated Text file contains Marker info so you know where various sections start to make it easier to use on Kronos.

To Preview the styles, just route the midi output of your midi player to kronos or any other keyboard.

Here is a big collection of midi files (from psr tutorials.com) already converted into Arranger and Kronos Compatible Files)
: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkz0kbpmfa140f/Y2K%20Converted%20Styles%20for%20Korg%20Arrangers%20and%20Kronos.rar?dl=0

Version 1.3
Now it can convert yamaha pad files to singular midi files ready for import.

Pad with a lot of channels are likely incompatible.

----------------------------------------
Help & Documentation
----------------------------------------

Purpose: To Convert Yamaha Style files to Korg PA compatible Midi File that one can import as custom Style and Work on it henceforth.

In A Nutshell it Translates (Remaps) Channels, Filters out Sysex,CASM/OTS, and changes markers to Korg Style Specific Markers.

Limitations:
Could be many, but here are a noted few :
Only SFF1 type styles: However you can convert SFF2 type styles to SFF1 through a yamaha style tool.
No NTT/NTR: Since they are yamaha Specific and Are part of CASM, they are filtered out. Read More in Workflow Below.

Requirements:
Microsoft .NET 4.0 incase you don't have it, you can install from here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

MidiOX (www.midiox.com) Midi2Text and Text to Midi Converters : http://www.midiox.com/zip/mf2tXP.zip
Download the XP version as that is the ones I Used.
Since This is a prototype application, I Didn't write midi reader for this , which i might do in future.

Features:
1. Converts a Folder of Styles, Or Selected Few, Or An Entire Directory Tree
2. Converts most known Style Formats (.prs,.sst,.sty,.bsc etc)
3. Writes the Midi File in the same location as the Style with ".korg.mid" append to the end.
4: (New in 1.2) Reads CASM Routing Section of Yamaha Style and Maps Channels Accordingly
5: (New in 1.2) Custom Channel Routing (Mapping Editor) for Single Styles Only. Double click a style in List to edit mapping and save the Midi conversion.
6: (New in 1.2) Lyric Markers. Added lyrics markers for Sections names, make easier to preview style in midi karaoke players such as Van Bascos midi player(Excellent)
7: (New in 1.62) Save Voice Routing Info to a text file

Suggested Workflow :

1: Setup the Paths to mf2tXP.exe and t2mfXP.exe through the top setup ment (This is to be done only once, the first time)

2: Click the Browse button to load some folder containing Yamaha Styles

3a: The List should fill up with any styles in the folder (if it has subfolders, those won't be listed) Either Select some style you want to Convert or Convert all.
The Convert Path takes the current selected folder and its subfolder and converts all the styles in one go.

3b:[Optional] If you wish to work with a single style at a time and do custom Mapping, then just double click a style in the list.

at This point the purpose of the application is complete.

4: (optional) You can audition the generated midi file on computer or in a daw if you need to. I use the Excellent VanBasco Midi Player, And i am serting you can route it to your keyboard to preview the actual sounds.

5: Import the Midi file as style into your Keyboard and Set it's NTT and Chords. This needs to be done manually, however if you need guidance , you can downlod Yamaha CASM editor and load the original style and look at the style information and do similar on your keyboard, you may want to add a Chord Variation in case the Orignal Style was in minor.

6.Change the Voicings as you want. Play and test.

7. Enjoy and Have Fun.

~amit
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List

Last edited by amit on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 am; edited 6 times in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--- Reserved for Future use
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
valio7771

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How awesome is that, WOW !

Thank you for sharing, that'll be very helpful!
*orders a beer for your table
valio7771

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the tool, and it partially works.
It does good for fills, break and variations in all CV's but it does not work for the intros and endings since Yamaha recorded the minor and major versions (and in some cases 7'th) all on top of each other and it sounds messy. I suppose Yamaha has different logarithm of extracting/separating those VC's so they are not played all simultaneously in the intros and endings, or I am doing the importing wrong. I've tried selecting CV1 and CV2 for each intro and ending to be imported separately but it still sounds incorrect. Any ideas?
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valio7771 wrote:
It does good for fills, break and variations in all CV's but it does not work for the intros and endings since Yamaha recorded the minor and major versions (and in some cases 7'th) all on top of each other and it sounds messy. I suppose Yamaha has different logarithm of extracting/separating those VC's so they are not played all simultaneously in the intros and endings, or I am doing the importing wrong. I've tried selecting CV1 and CV2 for each intro and ending to be imported separately but it still sounds incorrect. Any ideas?

Yes, some styles currently require manual intervention. You can use the CASM Editor to look at the Yamaha styles to determine the structure, then decide how best to convert to a Korg Style. For now I think it would be best to open Yamaha styles with major & minor variations in your DAW and edit it directly there adding CV's as required for each Variation.

Direct Download Link - CASM Editor - ZIP File (Requires Java)

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this only works partially (to give me a head start) and that is by design and due to some limitations.
I highly recommend playing/previewing the MIDI file on computer to know. How it sounds and if it will work as is or no.
To edit I'd load it into a multi track daw and edit accordingly,
and Use casm editor to read the casm from style and do ntt /ntr and accompaniment accordingly.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoraldus wrote:
valio7771 wrote:

Yes, some styles currently require manual intervention. You can use the CASM Editor to look at the Yamaha styles to determine the structure, then decide how best to convert to a Korg Style. For now I think it would be best to open Yamaha styles with major & minor variations in your DAW and edit it directly there adding CV's as required for each Variation.

Direct Download Link - CASM Editor - ZIP File (Requires Java)

you can use demo version of
StyleMagic YA
http://www.midisoft.pl/en/#strona-dn
Almost everything you need to know about style you can read there editing Yamaha Style.
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to Version 1.3

Can now converts pads (still beta)

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=652617#652617
reinstall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to Version 1.4

Yamaha Style/Pad To Korg Midi Converter

Latest Version : 1.4

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvwugeyz6bfwvkr/Y2kMidi_1_4_0.zip?dl=0

Version 1.4 (05 June 2016)
Can now Extract Midi Drum Track (channel 10) from Yamaha Style Files.
Can Convert the Extracted Drum Track to GM + 12 Format (Korg Drums as in Kronos, M3 etc)

The Generated Text file contains Marker info so you know where various sections start to make it easier to use on Kronos.

To Preview the styles, just route the midi output of your midi player to kronos or any other keyboard.

Here is a big collection of midi files (from psr tutorials.com) already converted into Arranger and Kronos Compatible Files)
: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkz0kbpmfa140f/Y2K%20Converted%20Styles%20for%20Korg%20Arrangers%20and%20Kronos.rar?dl=0

~amit
MamieNova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Amit.
This will give many of us some hours of work to finalize conversions of thousands of potential styles.

Great and useful work !
tomyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amit,
I tried to convert some Yamaha styles and it says an error , unspecified format.. not sure what is missing..? I have set up the paths and tool is running is ok but get this error.. If you want I can send you one of the style and you can try as well.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Linson
manouchehrmail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I want to develop my own application to read different file types which make a SET; for example reading out all information from "STY", "PCG", "PRF", "PCM", "PAD", "KMP", "GBL", and "VOC" files.
Where to ask for detailed information about this topic. Please do not refer me to the regional distributors in Germany because although I live in Germany but I want to get English support.

I would appreciate any guide, documentation, or correct contact person to ask.

Best regards,
Manu
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manouchehrmail wrote:
Hello everyone,

I want to develop my own application to read different file types which make a SET; for example reading out all information from "STY", "PCG", "PRF", "PCM", "PAD", "KMP", "GBL", and "VOC" files.
Where to ask for detailed information about this topic. Please do not refer me to the regional distributors in Germany because although I live in Germany but I want to get English support.

I would appreciate any guide, documentation, or correct contact person to ask.

Best regards,
Manu

The only way is to contact directly to Korg Developers, nobody have or if they do, they not allow to share.
Korg files is partially encrypted and is nowhere any documentation about.
Only few company is approved by Korg to use and developing 3-rd party software supporting Korg files.
You not first and not last one wants this codes Wink
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
manouchehrmail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am trying to contact them. Let's see.

BR
Manu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: