Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electribe sampler or octatrack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my e2 just to sequence my external stuff. It works fine. One thing to be careful of is the receive channels on your other equipment. I have an MS20, which is fixed to receive on MIDI channel 1, so I have to make sure all my other gear had selectable MIDI channels. Not sure how I'd work it if I had another synth fixed to channel 1. Get a decent MIDI thru box and you can't go wrong. Oh, and you can send the e2 sync pulse out to clock the Volcas at the same time.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackholesun wrote:

Yeah, you can have part 1-5 sequence the Blofeld in Multimode. If you wanted, you could route the Blofeld's audio outs into the Electribe's audio in and use the Electribe's effects and filters. You could have a different insert effect on all 5 parts.

I have to ask, how would it be possible to route the outs of the Blofeld into separate tracks on the e2? Surely you've only got one audio input so how could you split that into 5 tracks?

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

blackholesun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
blackholesun wrote:

Yeah, you can have part 1-5 sequence the Blofeld in Multimode. If you wanted, you could route the Blofeld's audio outs into the Electribe's audio in and use the Electribe's effects and filters. You could have a different insert effect on all 5 parts.

I have to ask, how would it be possible to route the outs of the Blofeld into separate tracks on the e2? Surely you've only got one audio input so how could you split that into 5 tracks?

Ah, you know what, you are right. I made a mistake on that one. You would be able to add insert effects, but it would effect the whole audio input. Oops Rolling Eyes Going to edit my post.
genshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies. It's strange that the manual doesn't mention any of this and that I can't seem to find any videos of the Sampler sequencing something like a Blofeld (though there are a ton of videos of the Octatrack sequencing the Blofeld!) But as long as people here have been able to do it, that puts me more at ease about considering getting an Electribe Sampler.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackholesun wrote:
Frenzies wrote:
blackholesun wrote:

Ah, you know what, you are right. I made a mistake on that one. You would be able to add insert effects, but it would effect the whole audio input. Oops Rolling Eyes Going to edit my post.

You got me all excited for a minute about using the e2 as an effects unit for my external gear. Ah well.

thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor mans octatrack?

NO

IT can maybe do some things an octa can, but It will not do the foloowing:

Record loops in realtime

Not sure how you would do a 20 second loop with 4 bar pattern length, In fact afaik it has no timestretch at all unlike the ESX which had two stretch parts, but still wouldn't do a 20 second loop unless you turn the BPM waaaaaay down.....

I'm sure there are other things the octa does that no electribe does.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many, many things Smile
genshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:
Poor mans octatrack?

NO

Record loops in realtime

Not sure how you would do a 20 second loop with 4 bar pattern length, In fact afaik it has no timestretch at all unlike the ESX which had two stretch parts, but still wouldn't do a 20 second loop unless you turn the BPM waaaaaay down.....

Look, all I'm really asking about that not one person can actually show me is, can the Electribe Sampler sequence external gear; specifically, as I stated before, one piece of Multitimbral gear like the Waldorf Blofeld where each part of the Electribe Sampler is sequencing each part of the Blofeld on different MIDI channels.

So, to clarify again, Part one of the ES is sequencing Multi 1 on the Blofeld via MIDI Channel 1, Part 2 of the ES sequencing Multi 2 on the Blofeld via MIDI Channel 2, etc.

Some people here say yes it can do that, some people on other forums say no. The Electribe manual makes no mention of it at all (unless I am completely blind and I missed it.) I just want to see one video of this being done before I buy it! But so far, nothing...

EDIT: And at this point, I don't even care about the Sampling part yet, I just need a standalone sequencer that can sequence at least 8 tracks polyphonically. Any suggestions?

I wish I wasn't broke at the moment, other wise I'd just get the Sequential Cirklon, but that's something like $1500 here in the U.S. Other options are the Squarp Pyramid, but not available in the U.S. until end of 2015 (and still out of my price range this month at $800) and the Social Entropy Engine, but also not available; hopefully will only be $650 from what I hear, but may not be polyphonic (not able to sequence chords, but not sure yet.)

I will eventually get an Octatrack in 2 months, but as I mentioned before, I have a performance in 2 weeks and I was just hoping for something cheap like the Electribe Sampler that can sequence multiple parts of the Blofeld, simple as that.

Last edited by genshi on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video on you tube were the reverse is done.The E2 has 16 channels sequenced by the Toneri-on...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWW6jBPeG4
Pritty sure it does the reverse.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genshi wrote:
thesigma wrote:
Poor mans octatrack?

NO

Record loops in realtime

Look, all I'm really asking about that not one person can actually show me is, can the Electribe Sampler sequence external gear; specifically, as I stated before, one piece of Multitimbral gear like the Waldorf Blofeld where each part of the Electribe Sampler is sequencing each part of the Blofeld on different MIDI channels.

So, to clarify again, Part one of the ES is sequencing Multi 1 on the Blofeld via MIDI Channel 1, Part 2 of the ES sequencing Multi 2 on the Blofeld via MIDI Channel 2, etc.

Some people here say yes it can do that, some people on other forums say no. The Electribe manual makes no mention of it at all (unless I am completely blind and I missed it.) I just want to see one video of this being done before I buy it! But so far, nothing...

EDIT: And at this point, I don't even care about the Sampling part yet, I just need a standalone sequencer that can sequence at least 8 tracks polyphonically. Any suggestions?

I wish I wasn't broke at the moment, other wise I'd just get the Sequential Cirklon, but that's something like $1500 here in the U.S. Other options are the Squarp Pyramid, but not available in the U.S. until end of 2015 (and still out of my price range this month at $800) and the Social Entropy Engine, but also not available; hopefully will only be $650 from what I hear, but may not be polyphonic (not able to sequence chords, but not sure yet.)

I will eventually get an Octatrack in 2 months, but as I mentioned before, I have a performance in 2 weeks and I was just hoping for something cheap like the Electribe Sampler that can sequence multiple parts of the Blofeld, simple as that.

Hey, if you don't care about the sampling then get the e2, I can tell you categorically that that can send 16 channels of midi at once, plus sync for your Volca or Monotribe. I know this works. I use it. I would imagine the es2 does the same, no reason for it not to. And there must be loads of e2s out there second hand with all the disillusioned users flogging theirs because it can't print money or solve world hunger.
I've played live with mine as a central controller. It's always rock solid, unlike the person operating it.

genshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
genshi wrote:
thesigma wrote:
Poor mans octatrack?

NO

Record loops in realtime

Hey, if you don't care about the sampling then get the e2, I can tell you categorically that that can send 16 channels of midi at once, plus sync for your Volca or Monotribe. I know this works. I use it. I would imagine the es2 does the same, no reason for it not to. And there must be loads of e2s out there second hand with all the disillusioned users flogging theirs because it can't print money or solve world hunger.
I've played live with mine as a central controller. It's always rock solid, unlike the person operating it.

I was considering that as well... in the end, if I'm going to do this, I should do it right, so I was able to convince my wonderful girlfriend the importance of needing an Octatrack in my setup... so she just bought me one! Just got home with it. Smile

(... and it's not that I didn't care about the Sampling, I just needed the external sequencing more, but sampling with the Octatrack is going to be a big bonus to what I am wanting to do!)
blackholesun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Octatrack purchase.

Now only if I could convince my girlfriend to buy me a second Octatrack, let alone convince her my purchasing of one in the first place was a good idea. Laughing
thesigma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I was able to convince my wonderful girlfriend the importance of needing an Octatrack in my setup... so she just bought me one! Just got home with it. Smile

That theres a keeper......The Girlfriend that is, though I'm sure the Octatrack is a keeper as well.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you perhaps try to convince your girlfriend to buy me an Octatrack too? Very Happy

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
genshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesigma wrote:

That theres a keeper......The Girlfriend that is, though I'm sure the Octatrack is a keeper as well.

apapdop wrote:
Could you perhaps try to convince your girlfriend to buy me an Octatrack too? Very Happy

hehe, oh, I don't think she would go for that, or for getting me anything else for a LONG while. It was actually quite a struggle for her to even do this (we are both on starving artists budgets at the moment) but she knew how important this was... and yes, she is definitely a keeper!

As is the Octatrack! After spending the past two days reading the manual, and the "Merlin's guide" and watching a ton of tutorial videos, I finally turned it on for the first time today, just to see if I "gel" with it... and I did! I love this thing. It is incredibly powerful, and though, not very intuitive, doing more homework beforehand definitely paid off, as I am able to get around fairly well with it already.

Now we'll have to see if I can actually pull off a performance with it and the Blofeld and Volca Sample all running together...y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: