Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe 2 - tipps and tricks for playing the beast
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zabong69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Electribe 2 - tipps and tricks for playing the beast Reply with quote

Hi,

I think we need a thread for people trying to get the most out of the new Electribe in terms of sound and use.

Here my tipps so far (I only have this thing for one week):

- first, lower the pattern volume to 100 and the part volume to 100 to create some headroom for any new patch; some sounds can clip, especially with FX like distortion. You can raise volume later.

- almost any groove pattern can be used to create interesting rhythmical variations; you can apply a conga groove for instance to a piano part to get a more human feel

- use the last note parameter of a part to overcome the lack of rhythmic variation that a 4 bar pattern might have over lengthy repetitions; lengths of 7, 11 and 13 notes together in different parts create very long sequences with no repetitions

- use the random LFO on pitch to slightly detune your percussion instruments each time they are triggered - great way to add some variation and unpredictability

- the same can be achieved by random LFO on velocity

- on an iPad, some synths like Magellan are multitimbral and can be used to augment the sound of the Electribe. Just midi out from the iPad into the Electribe, and audio in from the iPad

- the iM1 from Korg can be used to handle up to 8 Parts of the Tribe, freeing up voices if necessary.

- some synths on the iPad have both an arpeggiator and a midi out - use these to record complex arpegios into the Tribe; Magellan and Terra seem to be usable as midi controllers

- The Waldorf Attack drum synth on iPad can be used as a multi timbral sound module for the Tribe

- StepPolyArp on iOS can create wonderfully complex arpeggios

- You can record a part as continuous notes and create funky rhythms by deleting 16ths using either the sequencer or by using the part erase button while recording. I wish more sequencers had that feature

- The choke group feature on pads 13-14 and 15-16 can be used creatively - put a pad on 13 and use the part on 14 to "slice" the pad into some rhythm pattern for instance

- You can emulate 8 bar patterns by setting the tempo to half speed; if you need 16ths, use the 32ths-roll IFX and make some use of delays on strategic parts like closed HH.

- Chords are fun, but chords with synth voices that have 2 waves quickly eat up those 24 voices you have (2*4 = 8 Voices per chord!). For chords, PCM hits and the sampled instruments (M1 piano, organ) are more economical

- Using both the normal filter that follow the amp envelope and motion recording the filter IFX can be used to create insanely complex filter sweeps on pads

Have fun with your little grey boxes,

K

p.s. on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/zabong

Last edited by Zabong69 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
aquifer_music

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips Zabong!

I've been using my mpc500s more powerful midi sequencer for any parts where i want longer than 4bars.
Also resampling those complex and voice stealing parts into a single sample (anything already motion sequenced and effect layered with amp eg and a filter) can open up all sorts of new room in a project, let alone the new possibilities of what a second round of effects, amp, and filters can bring to the right grouping of parts.
My es2 has filled a huuge gap in an otherwise sampler-heavy hardware setup (sp505, mpc500, jx305, kp2).. It mangles and treats samples in a way that my mpc couldn't dream of, though the mpc can sequence circles around it. Effects squash mpc and sp505s. Workflow for adding bass and synth textures is 20x faster than sampling out of the jx305... The list of strong points will always outweigh the limitations. I wouldn't try to make full songs with ONLY the es2, but the same can be said about literally every piece of gear out there...
I have to say I'm more than happy with my purchase and have no thoughts of returning this beautiful creature as I near the 30 day point of es2 ownership.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried triggering my iPad synths from the e2 and the lag is horrible, at least 1/16 note. Do you find this?

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
Zabong69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenzies wrote:
I've tried triggering my iPad synths from the e2 and the lag is horrible, at least 1/16 note. Do you find this?

Can't say so, just tried Sunrizer, works without obvious lag. From a sequence, i would try that push rhythm groove pattern to make any lag less obvious.

What kind of sync did you try?

Z
Zabong69

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one:

The DM1 drum machine on iPad can be used both as a stand in for bread and butter drum sounds with 9 voices, but also as a sample player for up to 9 sounds for the Electribe. Just create a user drum kit and load those samples you'd rather use than those cheesy voice samples on the Tribe.

It even has Midi out.

Z
musicmagus
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my E2S for a couple weeks now. I like it! I am using it with an octatrack and a quneo pad for live madness. I started doing live PA back in the late 90's and this new wave of gear is what I wished gear was like back then Smile
I also have an old EA1 still hanging around so learning the new electribe sampler was very familiar.

A couple things I discovered that may or may not be in the manual.

Shift + Back Arrow button deletes characters in the name.

Holding keyboard or chord button down and pressing a pad selects a part silently.

Also,a cheap midi mobilizer I interface, an old Iphone 3g and midi toolbox app can be used to record or playback 16 midi tracks.
This can be used to grab your midi info and transfer to a computer or as a 'Song Mode' for the electribes allowing you to do long jams and capture it all in midi, then play it back and do live tweaking/ realtime playing over the top.
When playing midi data back in to the electribe if you turn midi sync off (so the electribe transport doesn't start) you can use each pattern as a soundbank and switch soundbanks mid-pattern.

Obviously the octatrack in the setup also adds a lot of options to the electribe (sequencing and effects and live resampling/looping etc) so I would definitely recommend one of those too Wink
Kuwaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
Holding keyboard or chord button down and pressing a pad selects a part silently.

Well THAT is great to know!
MaartenNl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwaga wrote:
musicmagus wrote:

Yeah, i use this more and more. By the way, it works also for the trigger button and for (not sure) keyboard buttons. Helps a lot.
robotunes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the sampler:

- steinberger's post helps compensate for the lack of step edit / p-locking! http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=656807

- see the current value of every parameter (probably works with the e2 too): with the pattern name showing, use < and > to scroll through all the parameters.

- simultaneously sequencing and sampling external gear might not work as you expect.

1) set the part to mono2
2) choose the audio in Osc (mono or stereo, your choice).
3) in step edit mode, turn every step's gate time to Tie.set the very last step's gate time to 96.
4) shift + rec to enter pre-sampling mode and choose Resampling. 4) Press play to start sampling and press stop when done. 5) press play to check your results. if you like it, write it into memory, then export it to your card. when you later edit the sample, save it as a new version (the old-school "undo" method)

- here's the short formula for perfect loops (assuming 16 steps per measure): (11,520,000/bpm) * the number of measures in your loop. that's the end point of your sample.

- why 11,520,000? here's the long formula:
1) multiply the sampler's sample rate (48,000 for the e2s) times the numerator of your time signature (that equals 4 if your pattern has 16 steps per measure)
2) multiply by 60 (as in 60 seconds per minute)
3) divide by bpm
4) multiply by the number of measures in your loop.

- according to the parameter guide, if you set loop and end points on the e2s, they will be deleted forever by your computer's audio editor. you'll have to reset them in the electribe.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaartenNl wrote:
Kuwaga wrote:
musicmagus wrote:

Yeah, i use this more and more. By the way, it works also for the trigger button and for (not sure) keyboard buttons. Helps a lot.

Works for the Sequencer button in Sequencer mode too.
robotunes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="robotunes"]for the sampler:

- steinberger's post helps compensate for the lack of step edit / p-locking! http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=656807

- see the current value of every parameter (probably works with the e2 too): with the pattern name showing, use < and > to scroll through all the parameters.

- simultaneously sequencing and sampling external gear might not work as you expect.

1) set the part to mono1
2) choose the audio in Osc (mono or stereo, your choice).
3) in step edit mode, turn every step's gate time to Tie.set the very last step's gate time to 96.
4) shift + rec to enter pre-sampling mode and choose Resampling. 4) Press play to start sampling and press stop when done. 5) press play to check your results. if you like it, write it into memory, then export it to your card. when you later edit the sample, save it as a new version (the old-school "undo" method)

- here's the short formula for perfect loops (assuming 16 steps per measure): (11,520,000/bpm) * the number of measures in your loop. that's the end point of your sample.

- why 11,520,000? here's the long formula:
1) multiply the sampler's sample rate (48,000 for the e2s) times the numerator of your time signature (that equals 4 if your pattern has 16 steps per measure)
2) multiply by 60 (as in 60 seconds per minute)
3) divide by bpm
4) multiply by the number of measures in your loop.

- according to the parameter guide, if you set loop and end points on the e2s, they will be deleted forever by your computer's audio editor. you'll have to reset them in the electribe.[/quote]
_INTER_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipps and Tricks videos:
Electribe2 Tips & Tricks Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442fqsHebOw&
Electribe Sampler: 10 tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buPizSTcSs
jbvdb493

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The op mentioned Waldorf attack
I am really interested in this app but I am wondering if you can assign different sounds in the app to different midi channels to sequence melodic content separately from the drums sounds
Can you sequence the entire app from the electribe like with the nave?
Thx
Korgenstein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmagus wrote:
Shift + Back Arrow button deletes characters in the name.

nice! was wondering how to do that....
Korg Monotron Delay (modded)
Mokushi

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips!
Could you please elaborate on the Last note parameter one?
I'm not familiar with that function yet.

Quote:
- use the last note parameter of a part to overcome the lack of rhythmic variation that a 4 bar pattern might have over lengthy repetitions; lengths of 7, 11 and 13 notes together in different parts create very long sequences with no repetitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: