Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Esx verdicts thus far vs Electribe Sampler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex921

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Esx verdicts thus far vs Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

Hello, im very curious to a comparison, with these two devices.
Preferably, from people who have/had both.

The electribe sampler seem alot better on the effects part, which is a real plus for me.

Also , it has 16 melodic parts. where the esx-1 only has melodic parts.

The scale function catches my interest. On the esx is not that good IMO.

The problem is, I need to get rid of my ESX to purchase the new electribe sampler, as I am short on money , and I want some other synths aswel.

I really like the ESX though.

What yours opinion thus far on the new electribe, should I sell my ESX, and buy the ES2, is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks, hopefully can share their thoughts with me.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Esx verdicts thus far vs Electribe Sampler Reply with quote

alex921 wrote:
Hello, im very curious to a comparison, with these two devices.
Preferably, from people who have/had both.

The electribe sampler seem alot better on the effects part, which is a real plus for me.

Also , it has 16 melodic parts. where the esx-1 only has melodic parts.

The scale function catches my interest. On the esx is not that good IMO.

The problem is, I need to get rid of my ESX to purchase the new electribe sampler, as I am short on money , and I want some other synths aswel.

I really like the ESX though.

What yours opinion thus far on the new electribe, should I sell my ESX, and buy the ES2, is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks, hopefully can share their thoughts with me.

I bought an ESX not too long before buying the Electribe Sampler. I was desperate to get into the general workflow that the ESX/electribe sampler both offer and since the electribe sampler release date kept geeting pushed back I went ahead and got an ESX. I love that thing. But I'll say this - as soon as I got my hands on the E2S, I haven't touched the ESX once. You will not have to search hard to find out what gripes people have with the new unit but for me it was always going to be a sketchpad and the portability and 16 parts that can all be melodic synths or one-shot samples is what keeps me coming back.

Plus, an amazing person just released a rough sample editor tool on this forum for the E2S and I think thats' only going to cement my love for it further. I will get the ESX up and running again and use them both together but for now that's my experience.
aquifer_music

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diving through this forum serves as an ongoing comparison between those two. Just look around. They are different. You might regret selling your esx for ONE feature not covered by the new tribes.... Maybe not. Do yourself a favor and don't sell anything you even remotely enjoy using.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new range, whilst being part of the same family, are different beasts, with a whole new set of strengths and weaknesses. Ideally it makes sense to hang on to your esx-1, buy the new sampler and spend some time with them both to see if you REALLY need to sell any of them.

Maybe a kidney instead? Very Happy

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
alex921

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. With korg releasing a sequel on the electribes after 10 years. I would at least expect that it its better then the original electribes

Yes, ideally I would like to try them out both at the same time. But say for example, the ES2 turns out to be a really good device, the result might be that no one wants to buy ESX anymore. Currently the ESX's prices are crazy high(the es2 is not yet released here). As im short on money , is it the best to sell it right now, or would there always be demand for it, because the esx is sorta vintage?

So ideally, I want to sell the esx before the release of the es2. If more people can give their opinion about these two devices., it would be great!
blackmental

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex921 wrote:
Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. With korg releasing a sequel on the electribes after 10 years. I would at least expect that it its better then the original electribes

Newer is not always better... think Akai MPC, for example.

I use two ESX chained together and I don't see myself using the new electribes. They are more powerful all right, but less hands-on in my opinion.
But then, I use them exclusively for house/techno music in live performance context.
Youtube : https://Youtube.com/BlackMentalMusic
Facebook : https://Facebook.com/BlackMentalMusic
Twitter : https://Twitter.com/Black__Mental

. . . Check our latest release . . .
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in samplers than synths. I got my esx-1 just over two years ago and i loved it from day one. Then i got the Grey Electribe at the end of last year. Since then, it's taken real efforts of will to use any of my other Electribes, the Grey One has just clicked with me somehow, warts/omissions and all. In a couple of days i'll be getting the sampler. So that's basically everything i like about the Grey Electribe, but driving a sampler engine. I think that will mean a long period of inactivity for my poor esx-1.

I think there will still be a demand for esx-1's, they are classics that still have a place in music making.

Last edited by apapdop on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sl23 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
alex921

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more comparisons about the the esx and the ES2, as the ES2 has been released for a while now.

Would appreciate it!
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling my esx-1... Won't be using it again. Sad

Buska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
I'm selling my esx-1... Won't be using it again. Sad

Interesting Smile

I bought an e2 then sold it because it was too nice sounding for my tastes.. Ultra clean. I was going to buy an es2 but the lack of fw updates made me shy away a bit.

I just scored a EMXSD and waiting for it to arrive. Got it $200 less than my e2. Now I'm going to get my head around the emx workflow but I think I will also buy an es2.

The gritty sound of the emx for synths and then the es2 for a drum machine.
That step edit motion trick someone mentioned got me interested again, plus poly melodic sequences is a major bonus as I want to sequence a vp9000 and that needs poly to do it's harmony stuff.

Also modstep is arriving soon on iPad and that is a sequencing powerhouse..
sauce
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both machines and I am working on a perfect system that uses both units in conjunction. The new Electribe Sampler has a very nice sound; the ESX doesn't even compare. Nonetheless, the new units have limitations that are basically inexcusable.. 4-bars, no pattern chaining, etc. To make a long story short..

Save your coins. Don't get rid of the ESX. Within a month I will have tutorials up, along with a working template, that will pull both machines into a *very* compelling, powerful duo that work together like like a single unit.
Buska

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:
I own both machines and I am working on a perfect system that uses both units in conjunction. The new Electribe Sampler has a very nice sound; the ESX doesn't even compare. Nonetheless, the new units have limitations that are basically inexcusable.. 4-bars, no pattern chaining, etc. To make a long story short..

Save your coins. Don't get rid of the ESX. Within a month I will have tutorials up, along with a working template, that will pull both machines into a *very* compelling, powerful duo that work together like like a single unit.

Look forward to seeing this, I'll hold off on my purchase for now while I learn the emx. Interested to see how you tame these two
alex921

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:

Perhaps you can do a comparison about the 2 devices since you have both in your possesion right now?
thanks
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sauce wrote:

Sounds great, sauce, really looking forward to that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: