Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pattern mode like motif sequencer on kronos ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ojkid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Pattern mode like motif sequencer on kronos ? Reply with quote

I have been a Yamaha motif user for about 6years now,the biggest sell for me was the ease of use of its sequencer especially pattern mode. those of you who are familiar with this workstation know that you can press A or B C ,D ect and the pattern will switch seamlessly at the end of the measure in the correct time. Has anyone experimented with this on the Kronos? and if so can you please let me know how to accomplish this. I NEED that type of function for my live gigging with my band. i would appreciate the help very much
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with Yamaha sequencers has been with the SY77 and QY70, so I'm not familiar with the function you describe.

The closes thing I can think that the Kronos would have is RPPR, which allows arbitrary patterns to be assigned to different keys. Depending on the parameters, the pattern can be triggered to play once through, remain playing as long as the key is held down or toggled on/off with every key press.

In terms of synchronisation, patterns can synchronise to either a beat, measure or the measures of the sequencer.

Check out page 595 (Section 5-3) of the Parameter Guide for more information.

Of course, the only thing that's going to behave exactly like a Motif will be a Motif - anything else is naturally going to have slight differences. Hopefully you can find a way to work within the design constraints of the Kronos.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you noted, the Motif has this feature down pretty well. If you completely rely on it for live use I would bring a Motif.

You can use RPPR in the Kronos sequencer, but that basically ties single patterns to keys. There is, as far as I know, no way to quickly flip between song sections if that's what you're expecting. You might consider Ableton for this? You could hook it up over USB with the Kronos, send the computer audio to Kronos individual outs, and even have the Kronos choose different sounds following your arrangement.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have an iPad you could use the Yamaha App: mobile music Sequencer for that. It contains a motif like sequencer including the great Pattern selection possibility and you can use that sequencer instead of the kronos sequencer with your kronos.
ojkid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much guys, I'm really loving my kronos x61 as top keyboards that's why I was curious about the pattern mode like my motif. But thanks much guys
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motif arps are derived from the Yamaha arrangers. The arrangers are actually a lot more powerful in this area of accompaniment backing. They offer more sections, e.g. intros, verses, fills, endings and have more MIDI instrument parts (the Motif is limited to four parts total as I recall). You might look at adding the Roland BK-7m which is a full Roland arranger module that works with any keyboard.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Bruin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pattern mode like motif sequencer on kronos ? Reply with quote

ojkid wrote:
I have been a Yamaha motif user for about 6years now,the biggest sell for me was the ease of use of its sequencer especially pattern mode. those of you who are familiar with this workstation know that you can press A or B C ,D ect and the pattern will switch seamlessly at the end of the measure in the correct time. Has anyone experimented with this on the Kronos? and if so can you please let me know how to accomplish this. I NEED that type of function for my live gigging with my band. i would appreciate the help very much

I know this thread is REALLY OLD, but I found it while looking for the answer you were looking for, ojkid. I own a Yamaha Motif ES6 and love using Pattern Mode for live performance, and hopefully could find a similar function/feature for my Kronos-2 61. I'm kind of bummed that I have to assign specific keys on the keyboard to trigger different patterns with my 61-key Kronos having limited real estate as it is. But, oh well, gotta make do.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pattern mode like motif sequencer on kronos ? Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:

I know this thread is REALLY OLD, but I found it while looking for the answer you were looking for, ojkid. I own a Yamaha Motif ES6 and love using Pattern Mode for live performance, and hopefully could find a similar function/feature for my Kronos-2 61. I'm kind of bummed that I have to assign specific keys on the keyboard to trigger different patterns with my 61-key Kronos having limited real estate as it is. But, oh well, gotta make do.

You can save some real estate by using the virtual Pads.

Once assigned, you'd pull up the Pads screen on stage.
Then just touch the pad to switch to another pattern.

Alternatively, you can get the Korg NanoPad.
It should automatically pick up the pad assignments.
I velcro my nanoStudio to the right side, covering the bank buttons.

An even more exciting alternative -- MIDI footpedals.
I use the FCB1010, and 8 footswitches correspond to 8 virtual pads.
Can play patterns, notes, chords, or samples this way.
You'll find settings in Global mode, then match those to the FCB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: