Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sample Manager for Electribe Sampler (OSX)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Yeah, what's the big deal? He made a useful tool that could directly benefit members of the forum, nothing wrong with letting people know. Or getting paid for his time and effort.

There is no big deal, I am just voicing my option, what's the big deal about that? And who says he didn't rip the code from the existing (older than his) editor? He "copied" an idea from this forum, made a closed source version out of it and charges $12 for it.

But it is good to know that a person who "copies" ideas and starts 4 threads, 3 of which for commercial products can use this forum to advertise an overpriced application to people.

I will stick to the free ones that do the same and which are developed by forum members, who actually contribute to this place. Oh, I'm all for getting paid but there is a difference between getting paid and ripping people off.
Tarekith
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're making an awful lot of assumptions there.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarekith wrote:
Sounds like you're making an awful lot of assumptions there.

An awful lot? Like which?

I assume he made this to make money, indeed I do. I also assume he saw the idea here first, created a thread to ask for help and then created this threat to advertise the app.

I don't know what other assumptions I made. An awful lot means a lot. The rest of my post are factual statements. Have a look at his profile for yourself. You guys are way too friendly.

It is clear he doesn't contribute anything and posts this for commercial gain, and not for the benefit of the 'community'. The people who invest their time in the first (and free) editors are the real unsung hero's.

But I will drop it, anyone that pays $12 for an app like this has more money than brains.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is easy for some to make assumptions regarding Spleens intentions, we should focus on what we do know.

Members come here to learn ways to make their gear work better. Out of being courteous to our fellow musicians here, we share and collaborate to find these solutions...together. I've been a long time member, I've never seen it any other way.

When I and many others helped Spleen get the resources he needed...he PMed members for files, even used Facebook. I helped him with what I could do through both resources. I thought I was part of the collaboration process to help out the rest of us.

Had Spleen told me up front that his goals were to make an application that he can charge Korg Forums for, I probably would have said; " I can't help you". Then I would have followed up with the philosophy of how we use these forums to help one another.

Spleens mistake is not that he spammed... He didn't. Its not his mistake in looking to monetize his app....every ones gotta eat. Spleens real misstep is that he openly used the group as his personal R&D for a product he intended to sell back to them...with no consideration for everyone's good will and time. Is it wrong? No. But some who have experienced Spleen, such as Dutchow and I, see this as disrespectful to the spirit and the people on this forum and bordering on exploitation of this forums users. It's the WAY Spleen went about this more than the fact he wants $12 for his app.

Again this is a philosophical difference. I would never exploit the group I enjoy in this manner. If you really need our help for you to make extra cash, please be up front and at the very least give us something back in exchange.

The way dschroeter (the other programmer) is operating is much smarter. He releases his beta for free to all of us (BTW I don't remember dschroeter asking for our help at all until just recent) and what he gets in exchange are free testers. People who will take the time to try his app....take time to log suggestions, errors and more. In app development, that's gold to the programmer. Eventually after many revisions, and thanks to the help of the testers this dschroeter will have a polished application ready to go. He could then sell it in 2 markets; a cheap lite version and the full app. Or even better, if that many of us talk about how awesome it is, who knows...Korg might come out and buy it from him!

What Spleen did was not wrong...its not spam...but, IMHO this was not the wisest move.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music

Last edited by SMK on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Spleen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those supporting the idea of earning money with a product made in some weeks work. I am beginning to hate the "everything's free on the internet"-culture. No, I don't need the money, it is just a small appreciation which will buy me a beer or two. I am offering a coupon code to those people which sent me files before I got the actual device apart of the 5 codes I am giving away to other users of the "community". Only one has dropped me a PM yet...

And I don't feel the need to respond to dutchcow's rants and accusations. Sorry, nice try...
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be celebrating. Days ago there were zero sample managers for the Electribe Sampler available and now we have two.

Both were a labor of love so both devs deserve to name a price if they want. But SPAM is SPAM when it's not relevant to where it is posted and whether this guy is pushing his own editor to make money or not doesn't matter. Putting it here is totally relevant. It's not all that different from people posting that they have an old ESX for sale. They benefit from the sale, and this particular community benefits from knowing about it.

All this said, the open source editor is still more fully featured even if it is a little rough. Like someone else said, I'll stick with whichever is best in the end!
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be celebrating. Days ago there were zero sample managers for the Electribe Sampler available and now we have two.

Both were a labor of love so both devs deserve to name a price if they want. But SPAM is SPAM when it's not relevant to where it is posted and whether this guy is pushing his own editor to make money or not doesn't matter. Putting it here is totally relevant. It's not all that different from people posting that they have an old ESX for sale. They benefit from the sale, and this particular community benefits from knowing about it.

All this said, the open source editor is still more fully featured even if it is a little rough. Like someone else said, I'll stick with whichever is best in the end!
bingkingbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: ic Reply with quote

SMK & dutchcow-
I got your point, and feel the same, hope ppl can see it too...

Spleen-
U are so right, BUT u dont hate "everything's free on the internet"culture, because u just got your research and help form this community for FREE.
and u should buy them a beer too.

i m not saying u can't get paid for your time & effort, but u should tell those ppl befor asking for their FREE help, coz they wont help u with their time & effort anymore.

btw i think $12 is not worth it, hope u will follow up your work and fix all the bugs, cheers.

on the other hand, for me, i am willing & happy to donate $12 to someone like dschroeter(another editor guy), why?
its simple because he is a man and he got my respect. he is not using the community in this way. He is helping.

Last edited by bingkingbo on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Spleen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: ic Reply with quote

bingkingbo -> ignore list
aquifer_music

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: ic Reply with quote

Spleen wrote:

Hahahahahha. Such a good forum attitude! Way to aim at becoming part of a community! To all else, I like that this has stayed classy... There is a thin line between spam and marketing these days, imho aiming at your r&d' community for beer money is getting verrrry close to said line. Is it over the line? Idk. Does it feel 'off'?... Clearly.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf is the problem?

Dont want it? Dont buy it.

It's that simple.

Praise be to both guys for putting effort into them. Everybody should be grateful we have two to choose from.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleen wrote:

Haha adding people with criticism to his ignore list. And why not reply to my arguments mate? Too much truth? You started 4 threads, 2 of them are selling an app, one is asking helping with one of those apps and one is unrelated. That you don't want reply to these facts only shows why you're here; selling overpriced software you didn't even come with it.

Spleen, has contributed nothing at all to this place. It is amazing everybody seems to defend an idea stealer that tries to make money in this manner. I guess we get the "community"members we deserve. And it is good to know that anyone cause this forum for commercial activity as long as it has something to do with Korg/Electribes.

I got tons of sample packs I can to sell here.
apapdop
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you something dutchcow, you sure know how to push the right buttons...

Spam? Go look at the Korg Gadget forum...

Volca Sample, FM, Beats, Kick. OP-1, Monologue, Pocket Operators. And an ipad.
dutchcow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apapdop wrote:
I tell you something dutchcow, you sure know how to push the right buttons...

Spam? Go look at the Korg Gadget forum...

Usually they're on a machine though.

And to be honest, I am surprised that the majority here defends someone who blatantly stole an idea and maybe even code for commercial gain. A good community would call this spammer out and defend those who been making free editors over the past months.

And is it spam, oh yes it is spam.

Quote:

Spam:
irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.

Nobody asked Spleen to post his advertisement here, its is an unsolicited advertisement. If Spleen had sought permission before hand then it would't be unsolicited. Spam is anything people didn't ask for.

It doesn't even matter if someone didn't intended to spam, it's still spam. Nobody went like "Hey Spleen, will you please advertise your new super expensive editor on our forum?". And since nobody did; it is spam.
Spleen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: ic Reply with quote

aquifer_music wrote:
Spleen wrote:

Hahahahahha. Such a good forum attitude! Way to aim at becoming part of a community! To all else, I like that this has stayed classy... There is a thin line between spam and marketing these days, imho aiming at your r&d' community for beer money is getting verrrry close to said line. Is it over the line? Idk. Does it feel 'off'?... Clearly.

I don't want to be part of a community where you are a member.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: