Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS + nanaKontrol2 ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: KRONOS + nanaKontrol2 ?? Reply with quote

I just came across of video of Rich Formidoni demo’ing the new Kronos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWxF6YSsYk

Towards the very of the video (8:35), Rich mentions that it is possible to connect a NanoPad to add pads to assign chords.

My question: would it also be possible to connect a nanaKONTROL2 so to be able to assign additional parameters for more tactile control?

Thanks,
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nanoPAD2 user manual is almost identical to the manual for the nanoKONTROL2 and neither manual makes any mention of connecting to the Kronos, which the nanoPAD2 does perfectly out of the box. The Kronos manual does state that the Kronos supports nanoPAD, nanoPAD2, microKONTROL, padKONTROL and KNOTROL49, but no mention of nanoKONTROL2. However, the Kronos Parameter Guide, page 1132, might be worth reading. It starts by stating:

"The KRONOS supports direct connection of USB MIDI class compliant devices to the rear-panel USB A ports. Multiple USB MIDI controllers can be connected simultaneously, if desired. The KRONOS provides no user interface for USB controllers. Any settings stored in the controller, including controller assignments, MIDI channel, and so on will apply in the communication between the controller and the KRONOS. If the controller supports different internal setups (such as Scenes on Korg devices), you can switch between them to change the controller’s functionality."

So it seems there's every chance the nanoKONTROL2 will do something useful with the Kronos, provided the control surface is mapped first to produce relevant MIDI messages to the Kronos by programming the nanoKONTROL2 using the KONTROL editor that can be downloaded from the Korg support website.

A note of caution. I tried plugging the nanoPAD2 followed by the Akai LPD8 into the Kronos' two USB ports and the Kronos wasn't a happy bunny. It went totally crazy!!! After power cycling, and disconnecting the two controllers, the Kronos didn't seem to have suffered any lasting harm, and works well with either controller on its own.

engineerjoel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey voip, thanks for that excellent information!
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I actually have a nanoKontrol sitting on my Kronos that I use to control my DAW and I never even thought of plugging it into the Kronos since I have a nanoPad. I will try and give it a go soon.
musicman2011

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nanokontrol generates midi CC only, some Kronos controls respond to sysex only, for example the drawbars on the cx3 engine, I can turn rotary on and off with the nano, but not use the sliders to control the drawbars...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: