Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI info IN & OUT of the sequencer (to control VST synt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: MIDI info IN & OUT of the sequencer (to control VST synt Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm really interested in the Electribe 2.
Beside using it as a standalone I would also like to use the Electribe's neat sequencing features to control VST's in Ableton.
Yes I'd like to use both the clever sequencing functionalities of the E2 AND the infinite potential of soft synthesis

In the studio, it would be fun and inspiring to have the Electribe connected to Ableton, to come up with sweet patterns and melodies while not being restricted to the Electribe's synth engine.

I'm having a hard time finding info on what it can handle in terms of MIDI in and MIDI out (in sequencer mode!).
Sorry if this has been discussed here in the past but I'm still very confused and I've came across contradicting infos on the topic.

Will I be able to have the E2 connected to the Macbook on stage and control say Massive or Operator from the E2 sequencer? Is this even possible?

What about MIDI CC, modulation, pgm changes, pitches... ?

Thanks for any help. Very Happy
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MIDI info IN & OUT of the sequencer (to control VST Reply with quote

Stelvio wrote:
... to come up with sweet patterns and melodies...

If you like to sequence melodies be aware of the bug that note lengths get cutted on pattern changes. That means if you like to sequence notes which are longer than 1/16 note, you could run into problems.

For example: Pads are not possible, because they always get cutted. If you just like to sequence drums (with 1/16 notes) you could get happy with the E2.
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes it sucks but I think this shouldn't be too much of a problem since I mostly want to control external VST synths?
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far I can see this bug is related to the sequencer, not the synth engine. So, everything you connect to the E2 is affected, too.

Of course, if you record the MIDI data into Ableton the note lengths will not be cutted anymore, because Ableton is sequencing in that case. But I assume you like to sequence with the E2...
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, if you record the MIDI data into Ableton the note lengths will not be cutted anymore, because Ableton is sequencing in that case. But I assume you like to sequence with the E2...

Oh ok I see, good to know.
I want both worlds, I'd like to sequence with the E2 (don't own one yet)
and I'd like to record some sequences in Ableton too, for further edits...
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it makes sense to record the MIDI data, but later - for polishing songs. But until then (while the creative process) it could be very annoing when notes get cutted.

In my case (if this bug appears) it always throws me out, because the E2(S) doesn't play back sequences like my inspiration was before (of course just in some cases). So, I don't use it for long melodies/pads anymore.
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people make ambient with it though,
I wonder how they do it, maybe they just have a long reverb on the master on each parts they launch...
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, I would say: it depends how you organise your song. I don't think this bug just makes ambient music more difficult (I don't make ambient). In my opnion every song needs a few notes which are passing the end of bars/patterns sometimes - otherwise your song will sound static/mechanic easily.
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand.
Regarding the E2 and a DAW, you confirm it's possible to record the midi sequences you make in the Electribe2 as midi in Ableton? Or just arm a midi track and have a VST play the sequence you make with the E2?
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to quantise the recorded data in Ableton, but both wishes shouldn't be a problem.
DiscoDevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying the sequencer sends a note off to all channels at the end of the pattern?
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the cutting of notes happens on pattern change, so I assume the message appears on pattern start (of course on all channels - but only hearable when notes are overlapping to the next bar/pattern. This problem has been discussed here in the forum many times. I'm not at home to measure the specific MIDI message with a MIDI monitor, but it could be note off.
DiscoDevil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h.vel wrote:
No, the cutting of notes happens on pattern change, so I assume the message appears on pattern start (of course on all channels - but only hearable when notes are overlapping to the next bar/pattern. This problem has been discussed here in the forum many times. I'm not at home to measure the specific MIDI message with a MIDI monitor, but it could be note off.

Ok, that's what I meant, I guess. There must be a note off message going out on all channels at pattern change if your synths just stop abruptly.
h.vel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDevil wrote:
... if your synths just stop abruptly.

Not only the output of the E2(S) is affected - also the Electribe (synth/sampler engine) itself gets cutted.
Stelvio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of a turn off for a pattern based instrument :/ hope they can fix that soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: