Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with MIDI Controller and CC settings in Korg Gadget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you satisfied with the MIDI functions in Korg Gadget
Yes, Absolutely Perfect!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have no opinion on that, Dude
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It definitely needs some improvement
100%
 100%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 13

Namreh Knesch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Problems with MIDI Controller and CC settings in Korg Gadget Reply with quote

I just got my Novation Launch Control XL explicitly for using it with Korg Gadget. The Gadget synths are awesome and I couldn't wait to fire off some sounds with my new MIDI controller. Unfortunately the way Korg Gadget organizes its CC is very bizarre... Here is why:

1. The CC settings can only be accessed if the Gadget you want to access is currently selected. It is simply not possible to modulate different filters/cutoff/effects on different Gadgets simultaneously with different knobs that your awesome MIDI controller provides. That's a big bummer for any live performing.
Gadgets Mixer is also not accessible for MIDI as well as the play/record/stop section, the track selection and especially the solo/mute function. I just don't get why?!
These circumstances literally render any bigger type of MIDI controller useless because no one needs more than 4-8 knobs to modify one Gadget. Whereas you could use your massive MIDI Controller to control your whole Session. Very sad.

2. For some reason Korg thinks it is helpful to store the CC settings in the Gadgets itself and not in the session you are currently working on. That means after spending hours of setting up the MIDI controllers for one session/song and you go ahead make another one, you can't go back and work on your old session any more, because all the CC's for the MIDI controllers have changed. How is that of any use? I would really like to use a different set of Gadgets in each session and have their MIDI settings stored. It is really frustrating to set the MIDI all over again for each use.

Right now I don't know if I should stop using Gadgets right away and go serious with Ableton instead. But I am writing this in the hope that someone responsible reads this and maybe Korg likes to implement a few very basic improvements on MIDI in their next update.

Thanks for reading, sorry it got that long.

Cheers, Namreh
Namreh Knesch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I didn't hear back from anyone I am trying to keep it short: Even Korg's own MIDI toys are pretty much unusable with the current MIDI options available in Gadget.

Just check out this vid by 020715tigerlily... It is pretty revealing because you can see how you have to switch between Gadgets and control them one by one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq6A4pDEUt4

btw. I really like the sound. check out his/her channel!

I see how that is necessary for playing notes with MIDI but why is there no "Global-Mode" for CC. To access all of them at the same time without switching? Wouldn't that be a great idea?

How do other people use their MIDI controller with Gadget? Does anyone have a workaround?
Namreh Knesch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously Korg, I cannot save MIDI values for a Gadget session???

How can I even plan a live performance with different songs? Whenever I open a saved version of a song all the MIDI settings are lost! I can't spend an hour assigning MIDI values in front of an audience. Can I?

Why does no one else have a thought on that? Am I the only one with that problem??
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving settings per session would be a nice feature but probably not so easy to implement. Gadget is still in its infancy so there is much room for improvements.

For the time being its a nice scratchpad tool but not much more. Maybe Korgs goal is to keep it as simple as possible and never load it up with more advanced features. For many it's simplicity is the appeal.
Namreh Knesch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point of course. The simplicity is appealing and I am not suggesting to get rid of it. Simplicity and usability are not contrary.

However the ability to save MIDI values is so fundamental that it is beyond infancy. If it lets you save a certain value for say "cutoff" it should be easy to save its CC value as well– without too much of an effort.

Same goes for my suggestion for a "global mode" for MIDI CC as it simply means to have all Gadgets active at the same time... And a separate selector for notes.

Especially with Apple kicking off their new iPad Pro, I would suggest that app developers should also become more pro and serious with what they do. It really is about time for a lot of Apps out there.
Spacecat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Cc control Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a Korg gadget as a controller for the legacy collection?
Namreh Knesch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spacecat, I don't think so. It would be a great feature though. It would also be nice to see things like Chicago or Wolfsberg as VST's for Ableton
Slackerluddite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Cc control Reply with quote

Yeah have to agree with the issue of not being able to map any of the mixer elements to my midi mixer style control surface and the inability to control a gadget when it's out of focus... Very frustrating/disappointing.

That being said it's only disappointing because Gadget is so very lovely!

I can easily see myself ditching the pc/Mac and just having the Gadet on the iPad surrounded by a bunch of midi controllers and having that as my only setup. The gadgets are perfect in form and sound, the sequencer is where it needs to be. But it's just not as fun if I'm not using physical knobs and faders and buttons... Although sequencing with miltitouch is proving to be the best option in world that was either hardware sequencers or mouse operated sequencers.

Sort out the midi please Very Happy
vpamir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: I have a dream ;) Reply with quote

I dream of a world where KORG came out with the VST equivalents of all the gadgets in the Korg Gadget app and they can be controlled using the iDevice remotely, maybe using a specialized interface on the iDevice for changing the parameters on the VST running on Ableton Live. Yep, that's my dream and I registered here just for to say that. Peace Wink
Munibeast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least Gadget should have a way to assign different midi channels per gadget. Better also have a selector for enabling and disabling midi sources. Gadget could be such a cool live instrument if it had some basic, preferably advanced midi settings. There's so much potential but the way it is now it's not possible at all to use it live in conjunction with other apps and various midi controllers. Such a shame. I'm hopeful there will be improvements made to the midi side of gadget since they announced a new version supporting their own Bluetooth midi controllers, so chances are that there will be at least some basic settings for that. Hopefully it will be user configurable and not just a switch to turn on support for nanokey and nanokontrol studio. Crossing my fingers...
basedvato

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way for the midi controller to play the scales / chords selected on the gadget? I'm having no luck. It will play the keys, just not the scales or chords selected in the app.
controtempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: News on Gadget Reply with quote

Ciao there! Smile
New version of Korg Gadget got multiple midi channels+controller selection /per track. that is good. BUt how about Gadgets Mixer?
is still not accessible for MIDI as well as the play/record/stop section, the track selection and especially the solo/mute function?

i mean the only solution is to use "nanoKontrol?
i guess it could be probably a "commercial choise" , ok...i can respect that, BUT
enough said i would appreciate a "wireless bluetooth" nanoKontrol new version. Also a wireless/bluetooth nanoPad is needed.
I saw the nanoStudio wireless, but is "too big for my purpose, i prefer to separate the 2 controllers..

Does anybody has suggestions for MIDI control of the play/record/stop section, the track selection and especially the solo/mute?
best!
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: